The Basics | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

The Basics

Sep 6, 2006
Like many I have concerns about Sheridan. But look who assists him - the Chuckle brothers McCarthy & Wotton. Very little experience between them. He is not going to be fired so he needs more expertise to come in.

demportdave

🍌 Bomber Harris.
Jul 6, 2005
Our keeper always looks to roll the ball out to a CB but even if he has 20 yards or more of space in front of him, that CB will nearly always play a sideways pass to a FB. He will often get the ball back and play it sideways in the other direction.

It often takes 5 or 6 passes just to get the ball to the halfway line to midfielders who then take over with more sideways passing.

All of this is done at not much more than walking pace and all the time, Reid is standing static next to his marker(s) watching and waiting for the ball to eventually get to him.

Meanwhile, the opposition have got 8 or 9 players back behind the ball and the move inevitably breaks down around the edge of the box, quite often without a cross or a shot being attempted, usually because Cox, Lee or Alessandra (who should be in the box) want to make one more pass or take an extra touch.

No wonder we struggle so much to score and our 'shots on goal' count is so feeble, it's all so predictable and easy to defend against.

But just occasionally, someone like Bobby Reid looks up from inside his own half and plays a quality 40-yard pass to Reid who is 1-on-1 with his marker and we score.

We can't do that every time, but why is our build-up play so slow and predictable?

Oct 14, 2013
Balham_Green":2gofce9n said:
Pogleswoody":2gofce9n said:
Its a bit simplistic. Are you suggesting the best players in the world always 'hit the target'? If that were the case in World Cups the scores would be 7.7 or something.

No, because the world class keepers would save a certain percentage neh?? I don't mean score, I mean score if the goalie doesn't save it.

simplistic enough for you?

TOO simplistic. I'll ask the question again. Do players at the highest level e.g. world Cups, always 'hit the target'? Whether the keeper saves it or not. Dont bother answering we know they dont. So if they don't at that level....[/quote]

I'm with Pogleswoody. Everyone knows they don't, and a 100% rating will be rare to say the least but in the theory of it they SHOULD. No one (hopefully) shoots to miss.

Pogleswoody

R.I.P
Jul 3, 2006
Location Location
young green":kp4xsa7m said:
Balham_Green":kp4xsa7m said:
Pogleswoody":kp4xsa7m said:
Its a bit simplistic. Are you suggesting the best players in the world always 'hit the target'? If that were the case in World Cups the scores would be 7.7 or something.

No, because the world class keepers would save a certain percentage neh?? I don't mean score, I mean score if the goalie doesn't save it.

TOO simplistic. I'll ask the question again. Do players at the highest level e.g. world Cups, always 'hit the target'? Whether the keeper saves it or not. Dont bother answering we know they dont. So if they don't at that level....

I'm with Pogleswoody. Everyone knows they don't, and a 100% rating will be rare to say the least but in the theory of it they SHOULD. No one (hopefully) shoots to miss.[/quote]

Thing is posting your opinion on here sometimes is less than 'simplistic' because the pedantry level quotient is set so high (these days). NOBODY said hit the target every time (FFS!), I said we had lots of shots from open play with players taking the shot being 'open' and the vast majority didn't even trouble the keeper. I think our shots were poor and our target-hitting ratio too low for players who get paid to hit the ball.

Sep 6, 2006
Pogleswoody":wgqu5zd9 said:
young green":wgqu5zd9 said:
Balham_Green":wgqu5zd9 said:
Pogleswoody":wgqu5zd9 said:

TOO simplistic. I'll ask the question again. Do players at the highest level e.g. world Cups, always 'hit the target'? Whether the keeper saves it or not. Dont bother answering we know they dont. So if they don't at that level....

I'm with Pogleswoody. Everyone knows they don't, and a 100% rating will be rare to say the least but in the theory of it they SHOULD. No one (hopefully) shoots to miss.

Thing is posting your opinion on here sometimes is less than 'simplistic' because the pedantry level quotient is set so high (these days). NOBODY said hit the target every time (FFS!), I said we had lots of shots from open play with players taking the shot being 'open' and the vast majority didn't even trouble the keeper. I think our shots were poor and our target-hitting ratio too low for players who get paid to hit the ball.[/quote]

'NO EXCUSE for not getting the ball under the bar and between the posts EVERY TIME!!'

So you didnt say that mate?
Dont accuse me of pedantry when you talk a load of nonsense, then deny it.

Pogleswoody

R.I.P
Jul 3, 2006
Location Location
Balham_Green":2sdwgzrf said:
Pogleswoody":2sdwgzrf said:
young green":2sdwgzrf said:
Balham_Green":2sdwgzrf said:
Pogleswoody":2sdwgzrf said:

Thing is posting your opinion on here sometimes is less than 'simplistic' because the pedantry level quotient is set so high (these days). NOBODY said hit the target every time (FFS!), I said we had lots of shots from open play with players taking the shot being 'open' and the vast majority didn't even trouble the keeper. I think our shots were poor and our target-hitting ratio too low for players who get paid to hit the ball.

'NO EXCUSE for not getting the ball under the bar and between the posts EVERY TIME!!'

So you didnt say that mate?
Dont accuse me of pedantry when you talk a load of nonsense, then deny it.
[/quote]

Yes I did say that but, without writing a tome, it is difficult to summarise in a post.
I don't think that there is an excuse for missing the target from 20 yards out or closer EVERY TIME. Of course I accept that some are going to go astray, it is the proportion that worried me on Saturday. If you are being closed down, challenged or shoved, it gets more difficult but we had loads of shots from open clear positions. Very poor strike rate.

To be pedantic - I didn't accuse you of pedantry .. but, if the cap fits ;)

C

Cobi Budge.

This is something I've moaned about all season, but every single game, a decent ball (or cut back) is played across toward the six yard area, into space but there's never anyone there to meet it. I don't think the issue is the midfielders can't score, they simply don't get in to the positions to score. We seem allergic to the penalty area.