The manager talks of formation and players (from Twitter) | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

The manager talks of formation and players (from Twitter)

Feb 21, 2008
Plymouth
Ollieargyle9":3t7bcxqk said:
MannameadGreen":3t7bcxqk said:
Knarf Reprah":3t7bcxqk said:
Don't understand Sheridan's tactical nous at all, eg we re losing, I ll take off our striker and bring on Morgan when by the way Stevenage were playing it was crying out for Reid to feed OFF Morgan's flick ons. Also why are we playing a centre back at left back?
Agree with the general idea of Sheridan's lack of tactical awareness but not this part.

Our problem is that we fight fire with fire - we don't play our own game enough. We shouldn't be matching what the opposition play: they should be matching us. Against Stevenage, we needed to get the ball down on the deck and play to our strengths. Instead, we tried to beat Stevenage at their own game.

Exactly same goes for Cambridge, their defenders couldn't cope with the technical abilities of Banton and Lewi in the first half, when we went behind we took them off and lumped it up to big forwards and played right into their hands.

Nobody is going to beat Stevenage at their own game, that manager of their's has his way of playing drilled into his players heads, showing up on the day and hoping to match it is never going to work regardless of how good our team is man-to-man against theirs.
Absolutely. I hope we have more patience in our own style if Southend try similarly tomorrow.

Mike Greening

♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Aug 2, 2008
All this talk about changing formations, if things don't improve shortly the talk should be about changing managers. :sigh:

A

alex-d

As many have pointed out there shouldn't be a big difference whether you're home or away and also this stance seems to backtrack on what Sheridan said we would be doing this season, which is attacking and getting after teams. Employing a negative attitude away from home has been our downfall in the 2 away matches lost so far it seems.

justanotherfan

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🍌 Bomber Harris.
🚑 Steve Hooper
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 4, 2012
Plymouth
Perhaps it`s the reason why manure in the last campaign had the worst home record of the top half clubs but the best away record for the premier league as a whole. Maybe, just maybe, JS is a better, manager than the average poster on here.

Jul 6, 2011
justanotherfan":1c9pan1d said:
Perhaps it`s the reason why manure in the last campaign had the worst home record of the top half clubs but the best away record for the premier league as a whole. Maybe, just maybe, JS is a better, manager than the average poster on here.

At least he has the experience and knows what he's talking about, people on here are happy just to belly ache.

Jun 8, 2014
pafcstafford":fktb6g7f said:
Knarf Reprah":fktb6g7f said:
Fair enough, but it was near the end of the game, so beggar playing football, get it forward and into the box

Have you let guardiola and wenger in on that piece of tactical genius

Every team does it, dying minutes of a game you're behind in then it doesn't matter who you are, you get the ball up field quickly. Guardiola comparison is a little unfair as he's the least adaptable manager I've ever seen and IMO will prevent him from ever becoming a legendary manager, but that's another discussion.

Not hoofball so much, but Frank is right, in those moments of chasing a game you have to get the ball into the box. It's a lottery, but no team will just hold onto the ball for the sake of posession in the dying moments.

demportdave

🍌 Bomber Harris.
Jul 6, 2005
justanotherfan":2ksi9zzt said:
Why is it that so often, the green tints reaction to any form of criticism regarding Sheridan is akin to something which you might hear in the playground. Never mind how it is expressed or if it is supported by the facts in terms of both the performance and the result of any given match.

Now after only 4 League games, Sheridan has decided he needs a major change in tactics and approach and intends to have a home team and an away team. It's almost as if he is not quite sure what he is doing, or could it be a tacit acknowledgement that some of the criticism which he has received may actually have been justified!

But what do we know; we are merely fans, some of who have been watching Argyle since before Sheridan was born. How could we know that McHugh is not a LB or that Reid is so much more effective when he has someone close to him.

Jul 27, 2005
Plymouth
Paul_Roberts":3d92adf3 said:
It's encouraging in one sense that at least Sheridan has recognised we've got problems and he's come up with a plan to resolve them. I think Sturrock Mk1 was the last manager to religiously play different formations home and away, which worked pretty damn well.

I think his comment about us having players who play better away means exactly that - some of our players are better suited to away matches than home ones, so those players will only be used on the road. I can't think of any who fit that description to be honest, but as I say, at least he's got a plan.
I seem to remember in 01/02, Kevin Wills featured in a 4-5-1 for Luggy during a lot of away games but he rarely got a start at home as we played a 4-4-2.

Considering how we ended up that season, is this necessarily a bad idea?

justanotherfan

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🍌 Bomber Harris.
🚑 Steve Hooper
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 4, 2012
Plymouth
demportdave":1aeznv8k said:
justanotherfan":1aeznv8k said:
Why is it that so often, the green tints reaction to any form of criticism regarding Sheridan is akin to something which you might hear in the playground. Never mind how it is expressed or if it is supported by the facts in terms of both the performance and the result of any given match.

Now after only 4 League games, Sheridan has decided he needs a major change in tactics and approach and intends to have a home team and an away team. It's almost as if he is not quite sure what he is doing, or could it be a tacit acknowledgement that some of the criticism which he has received may actually have been justified!

But what do we know; we are merely fans, some of who have been watching Argyle since before Sheridan was born. How could we know that McHugh is not a LB or that Reid is so much more effective when he has someone close to him.

You have made an old man very happy. :greensmile: :greensmile: :greensmile:

Oct 5, 2013
More baffling stuff from the manager, in my view. He is now talking of more signings, despite having previously said he was happy with the squad he had! What does such talk do for the confidence of the players he has? All players play better on confidence. It's the same as last season, always trying to bring in someone new, and some of them were rank awful when he did bring them in. I no longer have confidence in his ability to spot a player.
A really good manager gets the best out of what he has, particularly when three weeks ago he was saying he was happy with what he had! Incomprehensible stuff. If I were the chairman I simply wouldn't be buying it. He surely needs to be told to stop spending money, get on and do his job, and get the best out of this group.
As an example, the manager has just said said "if I could get a right-winger with a little bit of pace and directness, whether he’s 19-20 doesn’t bother me". What is wrong with Nathan Thomas, in that case? I thought this was exactly what he is, which is why the manager gave him a contract! Yet he's never been given a real opportunity, only fleeting appearances for 10-15 mins. Doesn't make sense at all.

Mark Pedlar

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Jul 28, 2010
Nothing makes a player better in the eyes of the average Argyle fan than having him sit on the bench for a few weeks. Thomas isn't THAT good.

Oct 5, 2013
"Pasties and Cider" said: "Nothing makes a player better in the eyes of the average Argyle fan than having him sit on the bench for a few weeks. Thomas isn't THAT good."

So why did the manager give him a contract, then?! Also, how many minutes has he had on the pitch to prove himself since he arrived? Hardly any. This is the sort of inconsistency that I am referring to, which baffles me.

Jun 8, 2014
He hasn't played because he's evidently not good enough in training. If he was good enough, don't you think he would be starting?

The lad thinks he's better than he is, he's got potential but even against tired Exeter legs he did nothing.

He doesn't get the chances because very simply he's not good enough at the moment.

justanotherfan

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🍌 Bomber Harris.
🚑 Steve Hooper
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 4, 2012
Plymouth
justanotherfan":1y3xs988 said:
demportdave":1y3xs988 said:
justanotherfan":1y3xs988 said:

You have made an old man very happy. :greensmile: :greensmile: :greensmile:

I agree with you about responses better suited to the playground and to that end "2-0, na na na na na, pants on fire", on a more serious and level headed note, as you get older you realise that because someone behaves differently or thinks differently does not make them wrong, no more than it makes them right. It comes down to tolerance, enjoy the win.