The Undesirables | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

The Undesirables

Feb 23, 2008
It's not too hard to see the OP's point is it?

Songo'o hadn't had a club for a year, Fox released by relegated Crewe, Threlkeld released by Bolton, Smith by the Wombles, Slew the journeyman, Bulvitis had a great partnership with Bradley and weighed in with some important goals before (I'd imagine) his poor distribution from the back cost him his place, Jervis was a journeyman before he came here, Sokolik (who I wasn't sure about at first but seems to be getting better as he gets more confident) released by Southend etc.

The list goes on, the only transfer fee DA has paid is for Blissett yet he's somehow managed to assemble a squad of players other clubs didn't want and been in the top three most of the season.

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
Metal_Green_Mickey":1wzdwrfc said:
Carey and Bradley will take most of the plaudits this season. Which is why for PASOTI player of the year l voted for Threkeld because of the way he filled in the both full back postions in a time of great need.

Yet there are players who will hardly get any recognition so lve started this thread so people can highlight any of the less popular Argyle players they think have had a decent season and why.

For me there is three.

Songo. One image in my head sums this guy up for me. It's the last few minutes at Doncaster and he is the man blocking a shot that is about to get fired at goal. In fact he is often then man who tries to get a block in or a header. He heads it the wrong way at times, he slices his kicks wildly and his feet seem a little uncoordinated when defending but he gives everything he has got. For a man who didn't play much football the season before and has been a bit part player in other teams we have got something more out of him than maybe our expectations should have allowed us to believe.

Smith. If it wasn't for injuries we would have seen him more. Just when he had his best game for Argyle, against Stevenage at HP, he got injuried in a committed tackle. The guy seems better in a more central midfield birth where he can roam than a defensive holding midfield slot. He has an engine on him which is why Adams has used him recently in the Portsmouth game because "he has the legs to close down the space". He can also shoot as demonstrated against Portsmouth at HP for the last minute equaliser.

Slew. My Dad calls him the journeyman. Personally since Kennedy has come on he has found it very hard to get in the side. Yet Kennedy, before, Newport, had a number of indifferent games and was harsh on Slew not to see return to the side. The left side of midfield l don't think is his best position but for three quarters of the season he was asked to do a job there. He was always comitted to the cause and whilst lacking some of the skill set you require from a wide man he still managed to make a contribution. More so, you have to remember his work-rate where he often by tracking back helping his fellow full back out. Another guy who hasnt really established himself recently in any team but actually has played a vital role in the way we set up and play.
Looking at the praise that you're handing out to 3 of the less 'heralded' players, Mark, you've already recognised Bradley, Carey and Threlkeld's contributions, and I will add McCormick, Fox and Jervis to the list without including any of the January acquisitions, it is amazing that, for most of the season, you have considered us only playoff prospects.

Now we are automatically promoted with 3 games to play and still with a chance of being champions.

Obviously, we have been very lucky.

memory man

✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Nov 28, 2011
Romsey
chunkymonkey78":fa7wazfn said:
It's not too hard to see the OP's point is it?

Songo'o hadn't had a club for a year, Fox released by relegated Crewe, Threlkeld released by Bolton, Smith by the Wombles, Slew the journeyman, Bulvitis had a great partnership with Bradley and weighed in with some important goals before (I'd imagine) his poor distribution from the back cost him his place, Jervis was a journeyman before he came here, Sokolik (who I wasn't sure about at first but seems to be getting better as he gets more confident) released by Southend etc.

The list goes on, the only transfer fee DA has paid is for Blissett yet he's somehow managed to assemble a squad of players other clubs didn't want and been in the top three most of the season.
I would imagine that the majority of League 2 clubs and some of League 1 recruit from the same treadmill that constantly carries a large number of players surplus to requirements. Each club will be familiar with the same stories with different names to the ones you quote above. These players are mostly only good enough to ply their trade in the lower two divisions. Maybe the previous manager did not press the right buttons. The player may not have liked the area. Perhaps financial problems at a club mean they have to release players they may have preferred to keep if they had the money(like Threlkeld at Bolton). I always see the transfer scene at this level like a game of rummy. People discard a card that is no further use to them while someone else picks it up as it will help improve their hand. Over the years I have heard of players being called cast-offs, referred to as surplus to requirements, journeymen, out of contract but never undesirable!!

Dec 3, 2005
memory man":39dj6960 said:
xmastree":39dj6960 said:
Metal_Green_Mickey":39dj6960 said:
xmastree":39dj6960 said:
Why, when you are praising them, do you label them "The Undesirables"?

Fox - massive influence in midfield. Sokolik - increasingly comfortable as Bradley's main partner since Jan.

As to Threlkeld, he's got to be the regular RB next season.

Simply, before they came to Argyle a number of these players were not wanted by their previous club. You can add Fox to that list with Crewe or Sokolik with Southend.

When in the Argyle team, they aren't the first names either to get recognition. They aren't the first names of players that spring to mind when talking about the good things connected with the team. They go unnoticed as such.

See where you're coming from, but it just seems a little derogatory to players who have contributed so much!
More than "a little dergatory". In the context it was used it is a completely unsuitable world.

OMG lighten up - the title has been explained lol

Mr Adams definately as the eye for a player, that other teams miss - and thats isn't such a bad thing :)

May 16, 2016
Bolasie
Wright-philips
Barnes

Top of my head names. Could argue it works both ways - whatever the reasons for their 'undesirability'.

A change of scenery, better managers and things work out. I've worked with people and in places I thoroughly enjoyed and everyone 'clicked'. Ive also had some pretty cr8p experiences where it didn't go so well, and I ccouldn't wait to leave. I wouldn't like to have been considered an undesirable though !

999mattyg

✅ Evergreen
🚑 Steve Hooper
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 13, 2007
Launceston
PL2 3DQ":305qjym5 said:
For me, Threlkeld is the one player in the Argyle (p) squad who can go onto great things, either higher Championship or Premier League.
He also has age on his side but maybe needs to nail down one position.

I felt sorry for Slew, he did nothing wrong but was dropped in favour of Kennedy.

I don't think Sawyer has received the recognition he deserves, he's a good steady left-back and one of the best crossers in the squad.

Agreed. Threlkeld is my player of the season. Slew has been unlucky because he has impressed me when he's played. Gary Sawyer's cross at Pompey was a beauty!

999mattyg

✅ Evergreen
🚑 Steve Hooper
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 13, 2007
Launceston
In team sport it's about fitting pieces of a jigsaw and it's not all about ability. A successful team needs to gel, so player personality, coachability, versatility, athleticism and drive are all important factors. When a team play for each other, throw their bodies on the line and buy into the managers ethos that is when success comes. At lower league level ability is fairly even standard (with the odd exception) so it is less of a factor, hence no one is 'undesirable'.

Mar 14, 2009
Last time I looked at the term "undesirable" it meant your not wanted.

These players were not wanted by other clubs for whatever reason. Also a number of times these players have faced quite a lot of criticism throughout the season. Sometimes that has been warranted. Yet the point even though they have not been as consistently good as a Bradley or a Carey there have been some I felt have contributed, without getting much praise.

The idea of this thread was to highlight these people. Someone might feel the same about Donaldson, for example and write something about what they thought he contributed. However, if you look back a few months you will see a thread about him where people are slaughtering him. He has hardly been wanted at times by the fanbase (or desired/wished) to be in the team. In fact people were wishing that he would be dropped the next game.

There have been similar comments about Songo & Slew throughout the season. Some people didn't want them in the team. Perhaps I could of choose a slightly different title but the last time I looked the word meant unwanted and in some quarters these people haven't been wanted or wished to be seen to play in the first eleven by not just other clubs fans, but also our own.

Its a chance to stick up for a player/players who divides opinion and might be classed as "marmite" by the fan base.

I could of used misfit. Yet that means something that does not fit (in this case in the team). Whether they didn't fit or were wanted, to me its similar but I apologise for those it has caused offence to.

Mar 14, 2009
davie nine":10usuvzw said:
Metal_Green_Mickey":10usuvzw said:
Carey and Bradley will take most of the plaudits this season. Which is why for PASOTI player of the year l voted for Threkeld because of the way he filled in the both full back postions in a time of great need.

Yet there are players who will hardly get any recognition so lve started this thread so people can highlight any of the less popular Argyle players they think have had a decent season and why.

For me there is three.

Songo. One image in my head sums this guy up for me. It's the last few minutes at Doncaster and he is the man blocking a shot that is about to get fired at goal. In fact he is often then man who tries to get a block in or a header. He heads it the wrong way at times, he slices his kicks wildly and his feet seem a little uncoordinated when defending but he gives everything he has got. For a man who didn't play much football the season before and has been a bit part player in other teams we have got something more out of him than maybe our expectations should have allowed us to believe.

Smith. If it wasn't for injuries we would have seen him more. Just when he had his best game for Argyle, against Stevenage at HP, he got injuried in a committed tackle. The guy seems better in a more central midfield birth where he can roam than a defensive holding midfield slot. He has an engine on him which is why Adams has used him recently in the Portsmouth game because "he has the legs to close down the space". He can also shoot as demonstrated against Portsmouth at HP for the last minute equaliser.

Slew. My Dad calls him the journeyman. Personally since Kennedy has come on he has found it very hard to get in the side. Yet Kennedy, before, Newport, had a number of indifferent games and was harsh on Slew not to see return to the side. The left side of midfield l don't think is his best position but for three quarters of the season he was asked to do a job there. He was always comitted to the cause and whilst lacking some of the skill set you require from a wide man he still managed to make a contribution. More so, you have to remember his work-rate where he often by tracking back helping his fellow full back out. Another guy who hasnt really established himself recently in any team but actually has played a vital role in the way we set up and play.
Looking at the praise that you're handing out to 3 of the less 'heralded' players, Mark, you've already recognised Bradley, Carey and Threlkeld's contributions, and I will add McCormick, Fox and Jervis to the list without including any of the January acquisitions, it is amazing that, for most of the season, you have considered us only playoff prospects.

Now we are automatically promoted with 3 games to play and still with a chance of being champions.

Obviously, we have been very lucky.

Ok. Last time on this one because I've tried to explain why I said what I did.

Back at the start of the season there was a thread about where do you think we will finish. After witnessing pre-season and the changes Adams had in place I stated I thought we would finish top 3. Its there in black n white.

However, I always need 10 to 15 games to grasp a real feel for an Argyle team. Around that period I we were having a good run. However, what I saw in terms of a performance on the pitch didn't feel for me to be a top 3 material side. So unlike a number of people I made a judgement call back in October/November and I stuck to it.

Now what I don't get is I was hardly calling the team s***. I have my opinions on players and the ones you have mentioned, especially Jervis, I have praised. McCormick for example has had good games but he has also had a number of poor ones too. For me, he doesn't command his box at times which sees Argyle a little too deep. However, he normally is a very decent shot stopper.

Anyhow, people kept changing their mind about the team on here. I however stuck with what I thought based on watching every home league game and a number away. The results for me where better than the performances and too many times I came away thinking how on earth did we win that game. I couldn't see us finishing top 3 because I felt the way we performed was too inconsistent to keep obtaining the results. However, I was proved wrong and we did.

Yet when I said we would finish in the playoffs I was talking about 3-4 wins short of where we are now. eg a Luton position. So in no terms was I saying this team were truly awful but that I just didn't think they had the extra difference you need to find to be a top 3 side, and not a playoff one. Again I was wrong.

I could of changed my opinion like the wind, like a number of people do. I just stuck by my gut feeling and luckily I was wrong. Yet I stand by the fact the football, especially at Home, has been poor. That there hasn't been enough quality on show. I don't like seeing Argyle play in the negative manner it seems to have to at times, to get a result. Morecambe was prime example. Very decent 20 minutes spell in the first half but the whole of the second half was woeful and dire.

Anyhow, that's why I said what I did and to me I cant be happier I am wrong. However, I'm not going to lie about what I've witnessed this season and there are times the football hasn't improved from some of the rubbish Sheridan served up at home a few years before. However, there have been spells in matches this season where the football has been very good and been some of the best we have seen for a while. The problem being they last for 20 mins spells and the other 70mins or so we seem to be hanging on somewhat. For example, the Portsmouth game away. Great first 20 mins. The next 70mins we sat back and couldn't get out of own half. Now you might say this is the game plan but I'm sure part of the game plan wasn't to pass it as poorly as we did and leave Taylor so isolated on his own that he had no support.

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
OK, Mickey. Thanks for the detailed explanation. I think that I was confident that we would finish top 3 for almost the whole season. I admit to having a 'wobble' after the Blackpool home match, partly because I knew that we had 2 difficult away matches against Mansfield and Wycombe. As it happened, we got 4 points and we were 'back on track'.

As you said "last time on this one", similarly, last time I will question your reasoning.

Hopefully, next season we will see a more attacking style, particularly at home.

I have enjoyed our debates this season because, although we have disagreed quite often, it has never got nasty.

Mar 14, 2009
davie nine":1ltr4smn said:
OK, Mickey. Thanks for the detailed explanation. I think that I was confident that we would finish top 3 for almost the whole season. I admit to having a 'wobble' after the Blackpool home match, partly because I knew that we had 2 difficult away matches against Mansfield and Wycombe. As it happened, we got 4 points and we were 'back on track'.

As you said "last time on this one", similarly, last time I will question your reasoning.

Hopefully, next season we will see a more attacking style, particularly at home.

I have enjoyed our debates this season because, although we have disagreed quite often, it has never got nasty.

Likewise Davie, should be whats PASOTI is all about :thumbs:

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
Can I say again, I think Blackpool were terrific against us and woe betide any team that has to play them in the play offs.

memory man

✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Nov 28, 2011
Romsey
Metal_Green_Mickey":2k91657s said:
davie nine":2k91657s said:

Likewise Davie, should be whats PASOTI is all about :thumbs:
A good ending. The observation that it "never got nasty" is an important one. It should be the norm that people can view things in different ways without resorting to silly insults.