Thoughts on Ian Foster | Page 244 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Thoughts on Ian Foster

MGM

✨Pasoti Donor✨
Dec 7, 2021
I think it would be fair to give him 3 games, Norwich, Bristol, Rotherham, and ask for 2 or 3 points. Anything less triggers it.
By the way, there are ways of doing things. The board doesn't have to issue a vote of confidence if they don't want to (even though clubs still do that, see Preston). But you can do a bit of PR. An interview. Some positive video spin. We've had a 2 week break and nothing. No statement, no PR, nada. Either waiting to sack him, or everyone caught in the headlights.

So say Argyle are in the bottom 3 by next Friday after losing to City & Rotherham. You think the club, after taking its time to appoint Foster in the first place & knowing how difficult the championship is, will sack him by next weekend. I think that sounds like what a fan might do, but it doesn’t sound like our owner to me.

Hopefully we win & wont have to find out.

Reactions: StrictlyGreen
Jun 2, 2016
So say Argyle are in the bottom 3 by next Friday after losing to City & Rotherham. You think the club, after taking its time to appoint Foster in the first place & knowing how difficult the championship is, will sack him by next weekend. I think that sounds like what a fan might do, but it doesn’t sound like our owner to me.

Hopefully we win & wont have to find out.
Hope we do too. But if Foster is still in situ by September it'll be the biggest comeback since Lazarus.

Reactions: Jonesy
Feb 8, 2005
If this is true. The club back him. Not going to sack him. Long term appointment. Stable club etc etc.
Why not 1 single word from them in public to that effect?
Why should they?

They have employed a head coach on a three and a half year contract and nothing has changed.

They will not be goaded by some misguided so called supporters. They are a professional body and will decide for themselves if or when they need to make any comment.

Mexijan1

🇲🇽🇲🇽🇲🇽🇲🇽🇲🇽🇲🇽
✅ Evergreen
Jul 17, 2023
Why should they?

They have employed a head coach on a three and a half year contract and nothing has changed.

They will not be goaded by some misguided so called supporters. They are a professional body and will decide for themselves if or when they need to make any comment.
As soon as they make any comment it will be twisted into 'the dreaded vote of confidence' by some. Ronan (AK and Union Station better) approach atm 'you say it best when you say nothing at all' seems wise considering some of the vitriolic comments around and not just directed at Foster. Ask not what your club can do for you but what you can do for your club seems apt right now. We are in a dog fight and if we are honest not unexpected but chucking hand grenades and teddies out of the pram ain't helping, players and performances look better away from home atm.....'don't worry about a thing' might be a more constructive home chant than Foster out.

Reactions: greenteign

Argyletillidie

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Nov 1, 2021
Bristol
This….THIS…..is why I took myself off this site for 10 years. Nothing has changed. If Argyle are winning and top of the league, it’s happy days. We have the best Chairman, the best Chairman’s wife, the best Manager, the best fans, the best Pasty Seller…..if not, shoot the lot, sack the Board, send the Gaffer on his way, let’s appoint the last Championship manager sacked by another club and call it ‘progress’, and hey, my mate’s best mate could do better than this…..I appreciate that everyone is entitled to their opinion, but goodness me, if Gillette ever wanted a new marketing push, they should certainly use quotes from PASOTI….and it would be nothing to do with sharpness 🤠🤟
Agree entirely

Reactions: silkman
Oct 8, 2005
cattedown
As much as I’m underwhelmed by Foster, today was a good performance and if it wasn’t for some very poor finishing we would’ve got something out of the game.

It does add extra pressure on the Bristol City game which for me will decide if he has enough in his locker to save us from relegation.

Reactions: Lancastergreen

Koala Green

🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺
✅ Evergreen
Mar 17, 2012
He may be a good coach, he may be a nice bloke and maybe he hasn’t had much luck.

But one of the most important skills he clearly lacks is leadership. Unfortunately, leadership is what the club needs right now and he is not delivering that.

Mexijan1

🇲🇽🇲🇽🇲🇽🇲🇽🇲🇽🇲🇽
✅ Evergreen
Jul 17, 2023
He may be a good coach, he may be a nice bloke and maybe he hasn’t had much luck.

But one of the most important skills he clearly lacks is leadership. Unfortunately, leadership is what the club needs right now and he is not delivering that.
Always like your posts but what makes you see a lack of leadership? He rightly went off on one today with that clown with the whistle, pulled back one of the coaches from getting more involved, every break in play players are coming over for feedback. I am on the bench with Foster, at the end of the day results count, but not seeing this lost dressing room, leaderless rhetoric going round, not aimed at you. It was a funny game today 2nd half expected to get battered but up until the corner thought we controlled it and had more threat. Type cast for Argo it's the hope that kills us:ROFLMAO:

Reactions: Staths

up the line

🚑 Steve Hooper
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 7, 2010
Manchester
Always like your posts but what makes you see a lack of leadership? He rightly went off on one today with that clown with the whistle, pulled back one of the coaches from getting more involved, every break in play players are coming over for feedback. I am on the bench with Foster, at the end of the day results count, but not seeing this lost dressing room, leaderless rhetoric going round, not aimed at you. It was a funny game today 2nd half expected to get battered but up until the corner thought we controlled it and had more threat. Type cast for Argo it's the hope that kills us:ROFLMAO:
Can you tell him to bring Bundu on then please.

• Haha
Reactions: Mexijan1
Jan 16, 2010
plymouth
giving the players a week off was a massive mistake.mr. foster should have used this precious time to do what he is paid to do,keep the players sharp and practice defending,he did neither.

Oct 5, 2013
It seems to me that Foster is exactly what his role says: a head coach. Which is different from a manager. What we need however, is a manager, which is what Lowe and then Schumacher were appointed as. There’s a difference. So for me it was a poor decision to appoint a head coach in the first place.

Reactions: Deacster

memory man

✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Nov 28, 2011
Romsey
Not sure if this is a trick question but I’m gonna go with the startlingly obvious here and say bring on Bundu.

And for a FerndownMike bonus point I’m gonna throw in that maybe he could even change the system when we’re chasing the game.

But hey, what do I know? I’m not an elite coach.
Is this the Bundu who missed with that schoolboy header in the last game? Those on the bench are always the best option, especially when the team is losing. I'd be throwing Freddie into the mix as I have to come round to the Waine isn't up to it camp. But from what I've seen of Bundu, he is only marginally better and is still living off the two goals he scored in games where he was otherwise pretty anonymous.

Reactions: Lancastergreen
Nov 16, 2006
Is this the Bundu who missed with that schoolboy header in the last game? Those on the bench are always the best option, especially when the team is losing. I'd be throwing Freddie into the mix as I have to come round to the Waine isn't up to it camp. But from what I've seen of Bundu, he is only marginally better and is still living off the two goals he scored in games where he was otherwise pretty anonymous.
That may well be true (although I think Bundu definitely has something to offer & that header has been built up to more of a "sitter" than it actually was), but he's much more likely to make an impact on a game we're losing in, with 10 minutes to go, than a like-for-like change of centre back, to ensure we keep our 3 ATB shape!

memory man

✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Nov 28, 2011
Romsey
How on earth can you say Foster had a negative influence on todays game, when there are many who said Argyle played decently? Oh wait there, it’s just because we didn’t win.

Do you realise what would happen if they sacked Foster? The whole ethos of the club is out of the window. Argyle are being built to be a different acting club. To give coaches the chance to shine, make mistakes & hopeful develop under the Argyle umbrella. You sack Foster, what on earth you saying to other candidate’s. Sure, move your family down here & we will commit to you for at least 3 months. However, at the first sign of trouble, with parts of the fanbase panicking, we will ditch you.

What a plan that would be.

There is only one poll you need. Do you think Simon Hallett will abandon his belief & starting sacking managers like other raving, nutcases as owners? If you ask yourself that question, it doesn’t matter if you, me or anyone believes Foster is the right man. He is here for the foreseeable future because it’s the model of how the club want to be run.
You have it in one sentence. The Head Coach fulfilled his brief on this occasion and prepared a team to go to Norwich to get a result. That we did not is more on the players today than on him but IF has no goodwill in the bank. The blame is getting shared between Dewsnip, Simon, Parkinson, the temporary fitness coach (accusations that the pre-match preps looked half-hearted yesterday), the recruitment team for not getting a centre forward and so it goes. I'm surprised Simon Ireland hasn't got a mention either, with him being labelled as a set-piece coach when he arrived. The only one who seems to escape is Nance. Although a constant he is never mentioned, which brings me back to the amazing (and deserved) amount of goodwill he has in the bank.