To be or not to be? (Club owners) | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

To be or not to be? (Club owners)

Apr 13, 2016
Tbf this fella has as much money as Abramovich.
Any league and most of league1 can worry about being the next Leyton orient.

Apr 13, 2016
Tbf this fella has as much money as Abramovich.
Any league and most of league1 can worry about being the next Leyton orient.

This Brent fella has been a worldie for you guys but go up another league and you'll be in the very same boat as us except you won't have a say in it.
Fine lines ej

Aug 17, 2011
Kings Tamerton
James Brent believes we have a limit to what is sustainable and we haven't reached that yet. If the proposed refurbishment of the grandstand goes ahead we will have more income and so our level will be slightly higher. We won't be able to ever get to the premier league doing things this way but if we can get back to the Championship and remain there it will be because we've learned not to overstretch ourselves trying to achieve the unachievable.

The best thing any owner can do is to improve the infrastructure f the club rather than bankroll transfer signings. In my opinion.

Aug 17, 2011
Kings Tamerton
mervyn":vrjm1udr said:
Why so cheap? The ground alone must be worth more than £5 million, or is it in-developable?

There has to be a £900,000 investment into Fratton Park and next season will see there capacity drop whilst remedial work is carried out.

pafcprogs

🌟 Pasoti Laureate 🌟
Apr 3, 2008
Westerham Kent
Been following the debate on a couple of the Pompey sites....

The way I understand it is the shares as set up mean he isn't allowed to pay more than they were originally purchased for....it was a locked in not for profit.

there are a number of larger donors from the fan buy in (Presidents) who can profit.

Pompey have a train wreck heading there way in that they have to find a £5 million refurn for the ground to meet health and safety or they end up having to close bits of the ground with knock on impact on revenues etc.

the debate is between the naysayers who want to retain fan ownership and those who believe the fans cannot fund the stadium upgrade without outside support and Eisner is the only game in town.

he has made the right noises but won't invest without control ...but the deal is as I understand it ground improvements and a 10 million playing/operating fund...

Pompey are down to their last million from their Tesco money and also have survived on £3 million of windfall income from player sales and cup revenues.

If they turn down Eisner then expect player sales to continue and potentially restricted gates through Health and safety.

Eisner has an impressive track record in business...but there a re a number of fans who don't want to risk another outsider...

Big meeting in Pompey tonight re the bid....

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
Positively Green":2wflk5a8 said:
I thought this was Argyle Discussion .......

To be fair, this affects all clubs.

Plus it's a very sensible discussion.

Apr 13, 2016
The meeting had just finished and I'm sat on the guildhall steps.
Obviously a packed guildhall. Eisner and his sons came over brilliantly and very transparently. Imho this man is the man to take us forward.
Notwithstanding he is a great speaker, he answered questions frankly. I'm very hopeful. Now we have the ballot for the shareholders.
I still think there will be those who just want to keep the fan based model. If the ground was not such an issue then I could agree but it is an issue and one that we have run out of time and money to address.
Therefore I can see no other way and frankly this guy has a vision of where he wants to go with us. It isn't overnight but it's certainly exciting.
Even safe guarding the club with fan representation of sorts.
I'm happy to say yes. I think it will go through.
I know you guys couldn't give a rats arse but actually this sort of meeting and foray effects us all sooner or later. The EPL and EFL has a fog of fit and proper testing and it's that structure that needs hitting. Pfc fans seem to have done their job far more diligently than they ever would.

pafcprogs

🌟 Pasoti Laureate 🌟
Apr 3, 2008
Westerham Kent
Agree with IJN ( first time for everything :))

the fan owned model is idealist and can work but with the way the "sport" is structured it has limitations...look how long it has taken us as a club to find the way forward on the Grandstand....which involved an investment from an outside party brought into the club...the reality is with the rules on grounds etc it will be very hard for a fan owned model to go through the divisions all the way to the Premier League

He is a fan so we get advantageous terms but at the same time our owner has always been candid about what he can and cannot afford and that we have to run within our means.

Portsmouth have found another route...whether he is the Messiah or just another of a long line of "very naughty boys" we will find out over time...from outside he sounds like he could be good for the club...which means Portsmouth may well be back on an upward trajectory...

On the other hand now every agent placing a player with Portsmouth will be rubbing their hands together....and of course the native talent will be expecting parity with newcomers...

But he sounds better than a Becchetti or a Cellino....mind you of course he was eloquent and positive...he is ex Disney...it's all about customer engagement for him...because you are fans ...but once he buys the club you are customers....so yes the badge has to change for copyright purposes....not because all the loyal fans will want to buy merchandise with the "right" badge...see how many other clubs have changed perfectly acceptable badges in the last few years...and see how many of the knock of merchants will stop selling just because the badge has changed!

Pompey were probably the cheapest credible route to buy a club with a hinterland, some history and a chance to be EPL in 3-4 years...and with a capped price and a need to sell hardly surprising his negotiation is ...there is the money...yes or no...?

Good luck....I think he is probably the right choice for your club today...but I prefer our owner solution. I think he is smart to keep Catlin....I know a director at another club who rates him highly.

See you next year then....

The Doctor

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 15, 2003
Plymouth
andapoet.blog
This is certainly relevant to Argyle. After all, Portsmouth are one of our main rivals at the moment.
Also, if he is unsuccessful in his pursuit of Portsmouth I wonder if he will turn elsewhere for a club to buy...
Plymouth and Plymouth Argyle have both been making quite a lot of North American connections/possibilities recently.

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
crownhillpilgrim":2i4wnism said:
Pompey will be lucky if they get Eisner. Saw him talk at a conference a few years ago - he's no mug or chancer.

It bears repeating, but to be chairman and CEO of the whole Walt Disney Company for over 20 years is almost unspeakably impressive.

Then again, Roy Gardner was Manchester United chairman and a knight of the realm. And Walt Disney's son described the company under Eisner as 'rapacious and soulless'.

I do think Eisner had a hell of a lot more to do with Disney's success, than Gardner had to do with United's, however.