Today's Referee | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Today's Referee

Sep 2, 2008
Phil Sloggett":10iigi5q said:
I thought the referee was very good today. Tried to let the game flow where he could and played advantage well on a number of occasions, was good to see the game able to flow.

He also got the big decisions right in my opinion (e.g the red card, not awarding them a penalty in the first half). If anything I think Hartley was lucky not to get sent off as he could easily have picked up a second yellow. However, we won't complain about that!

There were quite a few yellow cards but it was a competitive game with quite a few late challenges. If a foul is worthy of a yellow, so be it.

He wasn't keen to be the centre of attention like so many referees are. He just did the job in my opinion.

I would be very happy if we had a referee every week which was just as good.

Agree completely. I did think he bottled it in the incident just before the tackle that got the player sent off - I think Bolger should have walked then. Other than that he was generally spot on. I liked the way that he refused to let the players referee the game as so many of them try to do nowadays. Awarding that throw-in the other way after telling them twice to get back was a good example of him imposing himself in the right way - I liked him.

May 16, 2005
Elburton
He was an awful lino and is now an awful referee. Today was the exception - he got up to the dizzy heights of average.

To be fair, he was ten times better than the last clown we had at HP.

Jan 4, 2005
NEWQUAY
Pottypilgrim":3kxtrh6y said:
Phil Sloggett":3kxtrh6y said:
I thought the referee was very good today. Tried to let the game flow where he could and played advantage well on a number of occasions, was good to see the game able to flow.

He also got the big decisions right in my opinion (e.g the red card, not awarding them a penalty in the first half). If anything I think Hartley was lucky not to get sent off as he could easily have picked up a second yellow. However, we won't complain about that!

There were quite a few yellow cards but it was a competitive game with quite a few late challenges. If a foul is worthy of a yellow, so be it.

He wasn't keen to be the centre of attention like so many referees are. He just did the job in my opinion.

I would be very happy if we had a referee every week which was just as good.

Agree completely. I did think he bottled it in the incident just before the tackle that got the player sent off - I think Bolger should have walked then. Other than that he was generally spot on. I liked the way that he refused to let the players referee the game as so many of them try to do nowadays. Awarding that throw-in the other way after telling them twice to get back was a good example of him imposing himself in the right way - I liked him.

I thought he bottled the earlier dismissal opportunity too, but in the end justice prevailed. I think there is a danger in saying he was a good referee because we got the advantage in playing numbers. Personally, I thought he was inconsistent in his decision making and whilst there were a lot of yellow cards shown, he could have given even more. He missed completely the foul on Morgan in the goal mouth area in front of the Devonport End. That so easily could have been a second red card and a penalty in Argyle's favour.

Oct 18, 2010
St Judes
Quintrell Green":drfqayq9 said:
I thought he bottled the earlier dismissal opportunity too, but in the end justice prevailed. I think there is a danger in saying he was a good referee because we got the advantage in playing numbers. Personally, I thought he was inconsistent in his decision making and whilst there were a lot of yellow cards shown, he could have given even more. He missed completely the foul on Morgan in the goal mouth area in front of the Devonport End. That so easily could have been a second red card and a penalty in Argyle's favour.

Yeah that's a good point I had forgotton that, also I think Southend had a couple of claims too I think first half.

Apr 4, 2010
Cornwall
He sent off a Southend player, what more could we want? :greensmile:

I think he and his team did well, Southend seemed to be a bit of a dirty side, their players were going down very easily and very dramatically yesterday. We received a couple of cards as a result of it but I feel the referee coped well with the support of his linesmen.

I recall a penalty claim for them in the Devonport, their player flopped to the ground as if he'd been shot, the referee put his whistle to his mouth only for the linesmen in the Lyndy to tell him no foul. The ref put his thumb up to his lino and allowed play to continue. Great work from the linesman, lucky for us he spotted the dive.

L G

♣️ PACSA Member
✅ Evergreen
Feb 25, 2005
Lostwithiel, Capital of Cornwall.
Ollieargyle9":bk73lm8n said:

I think he and his team did well, Southend seemed to be a bit of a dirty side, their players were going down very easily and very dramatically yesterday. We received a couple of cards as a result of it but I feel the referee coped well with the support of his linesmen.

I recall a penalty claim for them in the Devonport, their player flopped to the ground as if he'd been shot, the referee put his whistle to his mouth only for the linesmen in the Lyndy to tell him no foul. The ref put his thumb up to his lino and allowed play to continue. Great work from the linesman, lucky for us he spotted the dive.
he could have gone back and booked the played for 'simulation' Oliie :whistle:
The Morgan 'penalty' was as near a sexual assault as you'll see on a football field. :lol:

Liam Vercoe

🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Nov 27, 2010
LG":m4b49tus said:
Ollieargyle9":m4b49tus said:

he could have gone back and booked the played for 'simulation' Oliie :whistle:
The Morgan 'penalty' was as near a sexual assault as you'll see on a football field. :lol:

I dunno, quite often over the last 5/6 years we've seen 11 men getting f***ed regularly...