Tony Pulis comments on Argyle | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Tony Pulis comments on Argyle

Jon with no H

🚑 Steve Hooper
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 6, 2023
Bolton
Jan 21, 2007
Tony Pulis was exactly what we needed at the time ... but, unless he carries a set of screwdrivers, I'd hate to be stuck in a lift with him for any length of time.

Jan 6, 2004
There’s a lot of whataboutery and whatifery here, but I’ve just read an interview with TP where he hopes we won’t go down, and he would actually like to return. It made me think; if we stay up and appointed him manager, the football would be dire imo, but we would probably stay up next season. Or would you rather (again if we stay up) appoint a lesser known manager, but with the assurance of attacking football again, and a greater chance of being relegated?
I would rather have the attacking football with increased chance of relegation. I simply did not enjoy going to Argyle when Pulis was in charge.

The Pasty Kid

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Aug 16, 2006
Liskeard
Pulis may have been what we needed, but he had a terrible record for getting back into games once behind. So if we went behind we lost, exactly the same as under Foster. By contrast, under Schumacher and Holloway, we never knew when we were beaten. Simply terrible to watch Pulis sides, and I honestly believe it was that dreadful football that started the drop off in attendances, as we either defended a narrow lead negatively, or we went behind and defeat was inevitable

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2022
Quite obviously he means to watch a game.

If the current board wouldn't put Warnock in charge for 6 games, how on earth does anyone think that they would employ Pullis as a full time manager?

Reactions: East End Green
Oct 31, 2015
I really don't get the knocking of TP

He stabilised us when it was needed, bought us one of the best midfielders a lot of us can remember in Lillian Nallis and laid the foundations for Hollowords to built what was probably the best team a lot of have witnessed. If those arse holes in the potteries hadn't come knocking at the time he would have stayed.

Is he the right person now? Probably not as football has moved on but at the time he did very well for us

Jon with no H

🚑 Steve Hooper
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 6, 2023
Bolton

He stabilised us when it was needed, bought us one of the best midfielders a lot of us can remember in Lillian Nallis and laid the foundations for Hollowords to built what was probably the best team a lot of have witnessed. If those arse holes in the potteries hadn't come knocking at the time he would have stayed.

Is he the right person now? Probably not as football has moved on but at the time he did very well for us
Agreed, very much in the John Sheridan envelope that despite his detractors (stylistically, it's hard to argue that Pulis' era was tough) he was exactly what the club needed at the time.

Also, it's always fun to say "Werkinaaaard" the way he says it!

Dec 4, 2011
I loved watching us under Pulis. He instantly gave us a backbone and we were competitive in every game. The contrast with Williamson's team was massive, where it seemed like we would concede during every attack.

I would get the feeling about his style if he was here for longer but even though it seems not long ago, it was a different era and there perhaps wasn't the mass clamour for attacking football as there is now. Pulis was perfect for the short term he was with us. I believe he didn't ever sign a contract with us and probably knew after a few months that the Stoke job would come up again.

Reactions: Eddie
Mar 30, 2024
Pulis may have been what we needed, but he had a terrible record for getting back into games once behind. So if we went behind we lost, exactly the same as under Foster. By contrast, under Schumacher and Holloway, we never knew when we were beaten. Simply terrible to watch Pulis sides, and I honestly believe it was that dreadful football that started the drop off in attendances, as we either defended a narrow lead negatively, or we went behind and defeat was inevitable
Some of the performances at home were very good and enjoyable to watch-3-1 v QPR, 2-0 Wolves, 3-1 Coventry, classic smash and grab against Palace with goals after about 10 seconds and 92 minutes, 2-1 v Ipswich in Triggers last game,2-1 v Southampton. Away from home was a different matter, i used to go to a fair few away games back then and Argyle always seemed to lose 1-0-that was the big contrast with things under Holloway. Pulis knew what he was doing though, the signings of Ward, Jarrett and Nalis were key to Argyle's survival that season and the solidity instilled by Pulis spilt over into the following season. Good manager back in the day but retired now, nothing much to see here.

Sep 3, 2011
I read it he wants to return as a spectator. He would have been ideal with 8 games to go, 6 was pushing it. Its all well saying that Dewsnip and Nance know the players but someone like Pulis knows the Championship inside out

The Pasty Kid

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Aug 16, 2006
Liskeard
Some of the performances at home were very good and enjoyable to watch-3-1 v QPR, 2-0 Wolves, 3-1 Coventry, classic smash and grab against Palace with goals after about 10 seconds and 92 minutes, 2-1 v Ipswich in Triggers last game,2-1 v Southampton. Away from home was a different matter, i used to go to a fair few away games back then and Argyle always seemed to lose 1-0-that was the big contrast with things under Holloway. Pulis knew what he was doing though, the signings of Ward, Jarrett and Nalis were key to Argyle's survival that season and the solidity instilled by Pulis spilt over into the following season. Good manager back in the day but retired now, nothing much to see here.
To be fair to you, you've reminded me of a few games I'd forgotten there. He certainly knew what he was doing, and he made good the terrible recruitment that happened before he arrived.

Reactions: Tamargreen
Feb 8, 2005

Agree totally, he got rid of the dead wood, stabilised the clubs position and prepared the team for a further influx of players to challenge in the division. However, he left before he could do that himself but left Holloway the perfect squad on which to add, to build an even more successful team.

He will be remembered for the non-football that he had instilled into the squad, but, with the players that we had on our books, he had to do that, and was very successful in getting us away from the relegation places and into mid table, all on a shoestring budget.

I was disappointed to see him go, but that's football.

What might have been.

Reactions: greenpig27
Nov 18, 2011

Holloway has come out before and said that one of the main reasons he did so well at Argyle was that Pulis had already got the players really fit and organised so he didn't have to worry about that.

In terms of Pulis coming back in January, he's come out several times over the past year saying he's retired that there's not a chance he would return to management. So there's nothing really to discuss as it'd never have happened even if Hallett wanted him. Pulis seems happy doing media work now and spending time with his family.

Pulis doesn't strike me as the kind of man who'd talk bs about his career, unlike a certain Mr Warnock...

Reactions: greenpig27
Oct 1, 2013
I still have nightmares where I'm in the Devonport end watching Argyle under Tony Pulis... lumping long ball after long ball up to Vincent Pericard.

Shivers and cold sweats.
Never again thankyou.

Reactions: Janboy