Useful information for those going by train... | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Useful information for those going by train...

Rob Thomas":1znb6in7 said:
Hi All

For those of you going by train on Monday there are a couple of things I thought should be passed on so you know what to expect on the day. Some of it will already be common knowledge but other items will be news to everyone...

Those going FROM Plymouth

A queuing system will be in place at Plymouth station to manage the number of people that board each train. When you arrive at the station there will be two queues: Those WITH seat reservations and those WITHOUT.

This will ensure that anyone who's booked a seat will be able to get to it easily rather than scrambling through the crowds. Those without seat reservations can then take any non-reserved seats.

Arriving at London Paddington

The Bakerloo station at Paddington is closed. Alternative options are:
- Hammersmith & City/Circle Line to Baker Street and change for Metropolitan/Jubilee Line to Wembley Park
- Walk to Edgware Road (10-15 mins) and catch Bakerloo Line to Wembley Central
- Walk to Edgware Road and change at Marylebone for Chiltern services to Wembley Stadium station
I'm sure others will come up with other ideas but those are the most obvious ones to me.

Departing from London Paddington (post match)

There will be a queuing system in place at London Paddington after the match, again to manage the numbers that board each train. There will be two queues: One for those going to Plymouth ONLY and another for those going anywhere else (i.e. stations in Cornwall, Totnes, Newton Abbot, Exeter St Davids etc.)

The main reason for this is that some trains are critical for those going to specific destinations (i.e. the 1800 and 1900 will be the only trains going through to Cornwall post match.) so those who need a certain train will be able to get it.

The queuing system will be between Platforms 8 and 9 at London Paddington. You will only be able to access it from the main concourse area so those arriving from the Hammersmith & Circle Line will have to go round via Platform 1. Platform numbers will not be shown for trains heading down to Plymouth, Penzance etc.. so everyone going must use it if they wish to board a train. Tickets must be ready to produce as ticket checks will be made before you join the queue.

Hope all this info helps. I will going up the day before but will be joining in with everyone else on the way home :scarf:

Great Advice & thanks for the info! Lets hope we're all in a good mood on the way home! :scarf:

Jul 3, 2013
A 10 minute walk to Wembley Central and then take the Bakerloo Line straight to Paddington is by far the quickest and easiest way if all stations are open.

Sep 13, 2003
Stiffler":1gii89ir said:
A 10 minute walk to Wembley Central and then take the Bakerloo Line straight to Paddington is by far the quickest and easiest way if all stations are open.

Bakerloo line does not stop at Paddington at the moment Stiffler.

R

Rob Thomas

landons forehead":40vtl6hu said:
Balham_Green":40vtl6hu said:
Chaos if it goes to e.t. then. No chance of the Cornish making the 1800

Travelling with worst late western is chaos at the best of times. If I arrive in time for the 1930 (the train I've reserved seats on) and someone tries to tell me I can't get on, I'll hit the roof.

Well for the sake of your body and an old railway station roof, I suggest you arrive nice and early for your train.

Feb 5, 2006
Plymouth.
I need to get to Victoria after the game pretty sharpish!
I have 2 options one is from Wembley Park tube and the other 1 is from Wembley Central. Both journeys to Victoria take approximately the same time... 25 minutes ish.
What I would like to know is what station would I be on the train quickest do you think factoring in walking to the station and potential queues?
All local knowledge greatly appreciated.

Dec 3, 2005
Rob Thomas":2395ppta said:
landons forehead":2395ppta said:
Thanks for the info, much appreciated. I assume queues at paddington will also be divided into those with and without seat reservations?

No, just the two queues. Those going to Plymouth and those not going to Plymouth. It may be that people with reservations to Plymouth will end up on a different service to the one that they have booked. However this is the best method to ensure everyone gets home to their desired station safely, which is the most important thing.

I myself have reservations to Plymouth on the 1900 but I would not want to deny anyone trying to get to Cornwall a place on the train if it was full. There's a 1907 to Plymouth should I be unsuccessful anyway.

Hope that helps :thumbup:

What IF the game goes to extra-time and even penalties - what would be the timings approx for getting from Wembley to Paddington. Would you be able t ocatch those at 19:00 and 19:07?

Jul 3, 2013
Saturday Service":1w2pz21v said:
I need to get to Victoria after the game pretty sharpish!
I have 2 options one is from Wembley Park tube and the other 1 is from Wembley Central. Both journeys to Victoria take approximately the same time... 25 minutes ish.
What I would like to know is what station would I be on the train quickest do you think factoring in walking to the station and potential queues?
All local knowledge greatly appreciated.

I would go from Wembley Park on the Jubilee line to Green Park and then change to the Victoria, the journey will take about 25 minutes. There is a quicker way if you take the Met line and change a couple times .

Sep 13, 2003
Sounds like quite a few fans haven't factored in extra time/penalties/potiental celebrations/station queues into the equation!

Topboy

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Oct 2, 2003
Plympton
djg145":31ybrj16 said:
Rob Thomas":31ybrj16 said:
landons forehead":31ybrj16 said:
Thanks for the info, much appreciated. I assume queues at paddington will also be divided into those with and without seat reservations?

No, just the two queues. Those going to Plymouth and those not going to Plymouth. It may be that people with reservations to Plymouth will end up on a different service to the one that they have booked. However this is the best method to ensure everyone gets home to their desired station safely, which is the most important thing.

I myself have reservations to Plymouth on the 1900 but I would not want to deny anyone trying to get to Cornwall a place on the train if it was full. There's a 1907 to Plymouth should I be unsuccessful anyway.

Hope that helps :thumbup:

What IF the game goes to extra-time and even penalties - what would be the timings approx for getting from Wembley to Paddington. Would you be able t ocatch those at 19:00 and 19:07?
DJG - We're booked onto the 1930 and I'm slightly concerned about getting back in time for that if the match goes to ET and Pens. I think any earlier train will be impossible unless people leave early.

I have mentioned before on another thread that the 2030 could have a few thousand people trying to board it!!!

Anyway - it won't matter as we'll win in normal time! Positivity at all times!

Nov 26, 2010
Swindon
Are the queues in place for Devon/Cornwall bound trains only? I'll be travelling to/from Swindon so will try and get the Swansea/Paddington trains. For those travelling back to Devon/Cornwall, this may be an alternative and change at Bristol.

Jan 6, 2004
There is a reduced service on the Paddington to Swansea/Cardiff service and trains are not going to Bristol Parkway in case anyone was thinking of using that option

Topboy

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Oct 2, 2003
Plympton
Just to give you the heads up - the extra trains going up are now showing on FGW website.

Basically there are two extra trains but they are slow.

7.05 - 11.29 & 7.55 - 12.29. Four and half hours each.

Dec 11, 2006
Plymouth
Heard from Plymouth ticket office today that these two extra trains will have no pre booked seats on them so it will be a case of turning up on the morning. Anyone have any info about the matching return train times £60 return with railcard otherwise around £90 return.