Value for money? | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Value for money?

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
SMIAL":3cfxpuqy said:
The Exeter game is probably the only game of the year where plastics feel they can get close to the moneys worth. The standard of football isn't improved but the atmosphere is greatly improved which i believe is the reason we get an extra 5000. I wonder if the Exeter attendance was only an average 6500 every year, how many of them 5000 would bother turning up.

They're not plastics though. A Plastic is someone who claims to be a fan but NEVER goes.

Don't fall into the thought that if Argyle are averaging 6,000 per game that it is the same 6,000 turning up every match. The bigger games attract more of those "regulars" so the number of "fair weathers" isn't totally responsible on any increase in attendance.

If Argyle did away with cash on the turnstiles entry they would know exactly who and when their customers were attending.

Sep 1, 2006
Lundan Cabbie":1933a2d0 said:
SMIAL":1933a2d0 said:
The Exeter game is probably the only game of the year where plastics feel they can get close to the moneys worth. The standard of football isn't improved but the atmosphere is greatly improved which i believe is the reason we get an extra 5000. I wonder if the Exeter attendance was only an average 6500 every year, how many of them 5000 would bother turning up.

They're not plastics though. A Plastic is someone who claims to be a fan but NEVER goes.

Don't fall into the thought that if Argyle are averaging 6,000 per game that it is the same 6,000 turning up every match. The bigger games attract more of those "regulars" so the number of "fair weathers" isn't totally responsible on any increase in attendance.

If Argyle did away with cash on the turnstiles entry they would know exactly who and when their customers were attending.

That is a good point but I highly doubt there is 11000 fans that attend over 3 games a year.i know many who follow a top four prem club who would go away to the emirates or a play off final to watch Argyle. They only attend the Exeter game for the crowd and atmosphere. You couldnt even give them a ticket to watch Accrington or Wycombe.

Aug 15, 2008
If Argyle do well we get big crowds. When we are poor we get poor ones. We have a big swing in attendances really - Clubs like Newcastle, Leeds, Sheffield Weds get more or less the same regardless. (Of course all Clubs get a bump in attendance when winning but with us its so dramatic. )

Dreamgreen

✅ Evergreen
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
May 28, 2004
Salisbury, Wiltshire
Value for money is driving a hundred and twenty odd miles home on a dark Saturday night, or very late on a Tuesday night, after Argyle winning 1 v 0 with ball going hitting the net after 96 minutes of less than startling football. It can go in off the referee's backside I am still happy.

Three points is value for money. No points isn't. One point is sometimes.

Call me a one off, but entertainment in football is never watching Argyle. It is way too stressy for that.

Entertainment in football is watching two teams I don't care about, then I want entertaining.

Argyle ? I just want a win.

I'm obviously not a football purist :scarf:

Mar 31, 2006
Bradford Yorkshire
I was raised as a Manchester United fan...... my old man took me to my first argyle game when i was 10 or so.....(kid for a Quid).. Never Looked back. Green Army through and through. Love watching match of the day and occasionally go and watch United.... but nothing beats singing Argyleeeeeeee when the lads first come onto the pitch.... or when we (finally) score a goal.

The amount of respect i've been given when they ask me who I support and I say Argyle, in a northern town, is HUGE

My point being.... we have to get the kids aged 8+ onwards into the ground. Kid for a fiver and a free pastie or something!

earl grey

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Nov 26, 2011
I sort of sarcasticly stopped a kid in my village the other day, just before the Wycombe game and asked him if he was going...he laughed and asked why, he was an articulate and smart 15 year old who clearly expressed the views of many of his peers

I did see him again today, and turns out he kept his promise and looked for the result...shame Sheridan and the team didn't.

justanotherfan

✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 4, 2012
Plymouth
PL2 3DQ":tob4v5gl said:
SMIAL":tob4v5gl said:
Instead of slating these plastic armchair fans we need to forget about them and get the youngsters through the gates even if it means cheap parent and son deals. Many of us grew up with Argyle by a parent or grandparent taking us along as a youngster and majority of us had a other team then but not the kind of love we had for the team we watched grow.

What, like winning the Family Club of the Year award and having cheap deals on family tickets and having a kids zone under the stands?

Is it poor value for money if we play badly and get beat by Wycombe but good value for money if we play well and beat Exeter 3-0?

That's the beauty of football, it's unpredictable.

Agreed.

Jul 19, 2006
Yorkshire
Agreed but then if you made an adult ticket cheaper if you took a kid all of a sudden everyone would buy those tickets and not take a kid
only way to do it is to check the tickets on entry and refuse entry to those without kids !
But for me who visits Plymouth rarely and wants to sit with his Mates and his son the only ticket I can get cheaply is in the familly end away from my mates !

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
edengreen":1uh6asg7 said:
Agreed but then if you made an adult ticket cheaper if you took a kid all of a sudden everyone would buy those tickets and not take a kid
only way to do it is to check the tickets on entry and refuse entry to those without kids !
But for me who visits Plymouth rarely and wants to sit with his Mates and his son the only ticket I can get cheaply is in the familly end away from my mates !

Argyle are not unique. Family tickets are normally only cheap in family sections.

At some clubs, certain sections have no child prices whatsoever. Kids can still be taken to these areas but they pay full adult prices and I can see the logic in that.

Jun 15, 2013
Do you expecting us to watch the match of 4th tier without any affiliation?
Nonsense. :doh:

I am watching Argyle match because I love(maybe this is affiliation) the club.

Sep 1, 2006
hometown5":2szmqxzv said:
Do you expecting us to watch the match of 4th tier without any affiliation?
Nonsense. :doh:

I am watching Argyle match because I love(maybe this is affiliation) the club.

Exactly so theres no point in moaning about all the plastics not bothering with argyle.

Jan 27, 2012
Its worth 20 quid a game if Argyle are serious about getting back to where they belong in the football pyramid and at least aiming for the Championship. But that does not appear to be a serious ambition for Brent. Despite all the talk, here we are as a major city team playing in a micky mouse league alongside the likes of Morecombe. I will keep my 20 quid until it looks like there is ambition again.

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
gaspargomez":1iv09jm8 said:
Its worth 20 quid a game if Argyle are serious about getting back to where they belong in the football pyramid and at least aiming for the Championship. But that does not appear to be a serious ambition for Brent. Despite all the talk, here we are as a major city team playing in a micky mouse league alongside the likes of Morecombe. I will keep my 20 quid until it looks like there is ambition again.

They can't do it without your twenty quid though.

Jul 27, 2011
St Austell
Verte":1fi1n1ug said:
If Argyle do well we get big crowds. When we are poor we get poor ones. We have a big swing in attendances really - Clubs like Newcastle, Leeds, Sheffield Weds get more or less the same regardless. (Of course all Clubs get a bump in attendance when winning but with us its so dramatic. )

There were 29,848 at the Sheffield Wednesday v Reading game yesterday. Compare that to the 20,656 at the televised Wednesday v Forest game where about 3,500 were Forest fans.

Apr 30, 2011
A ticket for Alton Towers for two days entry is 42 quid. That puts 20 quid to watch Argyle to shame in terms of value to money.