We cannot compete in this league (not) | Page 3 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

We cannot compete in this league (not)

Jan 6, 2004
Respectfully I disagree, we've had a threadbare squad without depth since January and the 'recruitment' then was a disaster.

Staying up (still not guaranteed) is partly a result of spectacular self-implosions at other clubs.

On paper our squad ranks 23rd or 24th out of 24. We can't expect to huff and puff our way through 2024/25 season without some serious investment in the summer.

Luckily the club is well-run which offsets the squad disadvantage a bit.

If you disagree, ask which of our players could walk into A. N. Other Championship club:
- Coops
- Mumba
- Whittaker
That's it.
First half of season Hardie would be in most squads in the championship.

Reactions: Mexijan1
Mar 1, 2024
Wigan
I’m not sure I agree with the narrative next season will be harder than this. I have always been of the opinion that this season is one of the hardest championships in a long time. All the basket cases were relegated last season (Wigan, Reading) and the three teams coming down from the prem were not the usual yo-yo clubs, all clubs with good squads that had been managed poorly.

Next season, the three teams coming down will be significantly poorer (Sheff U, Burnley and other plucky Luton or basket case Forest) and many of the potential teams coming up from league one have not played at this level for a few seasons (Pompey 10 years, Oxford 20+ years). We and Wednesday have shown that it’s hard to adapt. Ipswich are a massive outlier. I would expect all of the teams coming up to struggle to some degree.

If we stay up, I am optimistic we will have a better season. One manager, chosen with the lessons of IF taken on, implementing his philosophy with a full preseason and summer transfer window in charge of an (almost) established championship club with all of the infrastructure plans one year closer to fruition and double the Sky money of this season.

demportdave

🍌 Bomber Harris.
Jul 6, 2005
Serious question, what are peoples expectations for next season? ( if we stay up)

There can only be a difference in ambition depending on whether we get an investor onboard by the summer.

A new manager will take some time to implement his style. What happens if he doesn't alienate the dressing room but the results are still poor leaving us in & around the bottom 5. Most likely our budget will still be that of the bottom 3.

Whilst the league might not have a Leicester or Leeds. It won't have a Rotherham & maybe not a Huddersfield. In their place with be billionaire owned Pompey & most probably Derby, who will be heavily backed.

If we survive this season, l imagine next season will be just as tough.
Mickey, with respect you're not telling us anything that all realistic Argyle fans don't already know.

It was always going to take at least 3 seasons to become established in the Championship. That would still be the case even if new investors come in.

Assuming we get another 2 or 3 points to secure our status, the main objective next season is to not be another Blackpool, Burton, etc. and fail to survive a second season.

If we can be above the bottom 6 next season it would be a great achievement and a continuation of the progress we are making.

Reactions: Rogue
Sep 6, 2006
Without a new investor it will be another relegation battle, and if Whittaker is sold and the money not re-invested wisely in the squad we could be in a Rotherhamesque position Sorry to sound negative at a time of general joy, but that is realistically how I see it. We have relied on Morgans goals (which hugely outperform XG) massively this season.

And lets not kid ourselves beating Leicester does not mean we are genuinely competitive with them, it was a cup tie result in a cup tie atmosphere where everything went our way. We lose that game 9 times out of 10.
How many clear cut chances did they create? How many saves did Cooper make? Wasn't that freakish. We defended well and Leicester were not that good in final third

MGM

✨Pasoti Donor✨
Dec 7, 2021
Mickey, with respect you're not telling us anything that all realistic Argyle fans don't already know.

It was always going to take at least 3 seasons to become established in the Championship. That would still be the case even if new investors come in.

Assuming we get another 2 or 3 points to secure our status, the main objective next season is to not be another Blackpool, Burton, etc. and fail to survive a second season.

If we can be above the bottom 6 next season it would be a great achievement and a continuation of the progress we are making.

You say that Dave, but l remember when we got to the January transfer window the talk wasn't by some about survival. It was can we make a push to the top half of this league.

It one thing saying your a realistic Argyle fan. It's another thing behaving like one (btw lm not referring to you regarding this).

People often say they understand our budget limitations but when we play top 6 sides at HP people are questioning why aren't we having a go, when we lose. Yet against Leicester everyone says great team performance but it had just as much attacking football on display as games against Leeds & Ipswich. People perspectives become twisted over the result.

Next season we will still have the 23rd or 24th place budget in the championship, if we survive. Being in the bottom 6 wont be a disgrace. It's will be a realistic possibility unfortunately.

Last edited:

CarolinaGreen

🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸
Jun 10, 2006
Raleigh, North Carolina
All we need, once more, is three teams worse than us. Looks like Blackburn has debt issues and will need to sell Szmodics. I think one of Sheff Wed or Huddersfield will survive and struggle again. One of the three coming up will likely have difficulties, and there will be a few unexpected teams like Birminghams and Stoke that find themselves in trouble.

We have a squad of players who have acclimated to the Championship, and hopefully we can improve on that in the Summer.

If we get the right manager in this time we can punch above our weight. It also sounds like we might get a new investor.

Things aren’t necessarily poo.

Jul 12, 2016
Let’s secure our place in the championship before worrying about next season.
The fact is nobody knows how good or bad the other teams will perform next season. There will a number of players moving clubs, changes in managers, points deductions etc.

Jan 17, 2006
Saltash
You say that Dave, but l remember when we got to the January transfer window the talk wasn't by some about survival. It was can we make a push to the top half of this league.

It one thing saying your a realistic Argyle fan. It's another thing behaving like one (btw lm not referring to you regarding this).

People often say they understand our budget limitations but when we play top 6 sides at HP people are questioning why aren't we having a go, when we lose. Yet against Leicester everyone says great team performance but it had just as much attacking football on display as games against Leeds & Ipswich. People perspectives become twisted over the result.

Next season we will still have the 23rd or 24th place budget in the championship, if we survive. Being in the bottom 6 wont be a disgrace. It's will be a realistic possibility unfortunately.
Great post! Agreed 100%

mutley marvel

Cream First
✅ Evergreen
Feb 13, 2021
Football is full of the haves & the have nots
Football has the top table that only a few elite clubs reach due to who owns & funds them
Friday night we showed the Football World what can be achieved with heart,desire,commitment & a never say die attitude
You only have to watch Matchday Moments & Tunnel cam to see Leicester who the EFL can't punish roll into town under the illusion that they are Football Royalty & that they are the best of the best
They are on a totally different football planet to us which is fine considering where they came from last season
Football is 11 v 11 when the whistle is blown
For all the budgets in the world , for all the Chairmen's that throw good money after bad - the players on the pitch dictate how it will pan out
You only need a couple of bad apples in the dressing room to affect the squad & affect results
We may not have the wealth but we have good , honest players who are proud to wear the green of Argyle
This season was all about staying in the league- if we achieve that the close season will be interesting & exciting as we look forward to who will be appointed as an replacement for 87 day tenure & who will be added to the playing ranks

Reactions: Timeout
Dec 9, 2012
The last time we were in The Championship didn’t we have a period of several (7or8) seasons with an improved league position?

If we stay up this season - not a given yet-will we be on at least 4 or 5?

Staying up was always the main objective this season, and that is what most people seem to have hoped for. There were a few weeks when we were comfortably placed and I occasionally looked at teams above rather than below us!

Realistically next season will be as difficult as this but another improvement -possibly marginal- should be achievable. Promoted League One clubs will be have similar feelings going into next season.

It is still possible that all three promoted clubs will be safe. Probably fair to say Ipswich are already safe!

L G

♣️ PACSA Member
✅ Evergreen
Feb 25, 2005
Lostwithiel, Capital of Cornwall.
We just need to get over the line this season.
If we are a Championship club next season, it could be a difficult 2nd season, but a lot will depend on recruitment in the summer (and beyond).

mutley marvel

Cream First
✅ Evergreen
Feb 13, 2021
If we secure our Championship status it will have been mission accomplished
The upheaval our club has been through since before Christmas & the unravelling of the 87 day tenure will make the achievement even more special
What we achieved on Friday shows we have an unique bunch of players who are embedded in all things Argyle - no amount of money can buy that
Also after 43 games we have never dropped into the bottom 3 & our goal difference is vastly superior to the teams around us
The close season will be an interesting & exciting time
Who will be the new manager/head coach
Which players will be moving on , which players will be coming in

Reactions: jimsing

jerryatricjanner

✅ Evergreen
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 22, 2006
I'm not looking much beyond the next game or the next point really, One more win or a draw on Saturday with other results going our way and I might relax and think ahead more to the next manager and next season.
Should we stay up there will be a need to increase the wage budget considerably for an even tougher challenge next season. Whether MW stays or goes I don't see big transfer fees being paid, it will be modest fees for promising young players stepping up a level, free transfers and larger salaries for proven Championship players and four loanees to supplement the squad until January and beyond with luck.
As for the bookies list most of the names on there would never be considered or consider managing or coaching Argyle. I trust the powers that be to get it right this time after a rare mistake last time.

Oct 31, 2022

I'd rather have a go and lose, than lose not having a go? I'm not saying we need to play a 1-1-7 formation and try to win the game 16-15, but it's been proven time and time again that if you sit deep against sides with higher quality, you lose far more often than not. There's obviously a balance to be struck there. If you have watched much of Luton this season, you will see their discipline in defending together and getting up the pitch when possible, together. They have a right go. They haven't parked 11 behind the ball for 90mins like Burnley under Dyche. Burnley were waiting for relegation with that style and eventually they got it. On the other hand, they've come up to the PL with Vincent Kompany, refused to adjust and got themselves relegated anyway. Like I say, balance to be had.

In the Leeds away game, despite them having a squad worth 25 times ours and proven PL players, they were desperate for the FT whistle in the end - because we were having a right go. We know there's room for improvement in the squad, but how much improvement (in £millions) is required to change that 2-1 loss to 2-2? Based off what I saw, I'd say not so many that it's un-affordable for us.

Some would make the valid argument that the Leeds away game is a one-off and on another day we would be spanked. I seem to recall losing 5-1 to Charlton, 5-1 to Grimsby, 5-2 to Peterborough and 4-0 to Bolton, ALL in the same year we won the league and made a cup final.