What now for our youth system? | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

What now for our youth system?

Mark Pedlar

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Jul 28, 2010
Nelse came here when we were a Championship team. Where we are now we are only likely to attract Div1 rejects who probably won't be first team ready for 2-3 years by which time we would hopefully be in league 1 ourselves and therefore throwing them out. Sad indictment of the system but developing our own youth is probably not even worth attempting. Easier and more effective option is to loan young players in for a season. I'm not saying it's right I'm just highlighting the thought process of football "executives" like Starnes.

On the other hand - pay them a decent wage and get them playing first team football and maybe they wouldn't want/have to leave. It will never happen with the current Starnes/Sheridan regime.

Apr 30, 2011
Mark Pedlar":8r5i6zy9 said:
Nelse came here when we were a Championship team. Where we are now we are only likely to attract Div1 rejects who probably won't be first team ready for 2-3 years by which time we would hopefully be in league 1 ourselves and therefore throwing them out. Sad indictment of the system but developing our own youth is probably not even worth attempting. Easier and more effective option is to loan young players in for a season. I'm not saying it's right I'm just highlighting the thought process of football "executives" like Starnes.

On the other hand - pay them a decent wage and get them playing first team football and maybe they wouldn't want/have to leave. It will never happen with the current Starnes/Sheridan regime.

The FIFA rules (I think it is FIFA) mean the best 14, 15, 16 years old can leave for a pittance before we have chance to give them a pro contract and before they are good/strong enough to play 1st team football. It is beyond our control.

I really hate to say this, but I hazard a guess that some of the players coming through who have been offered a pro contract may well not have been offered one if the Lloyd Jones type players had not been taken from us for peanuts. We could of course play Bentley and Ourrington in every game and hope that they develop into L1/2 quality players or we can borrow young players from bigger clubs who are further ahead in their development.

Nothing would make me more happy than for a local lad to come through and have a Wottonesque career with us or move onto better things for a good price but sadly, I think those days have long gone.

Jan 28, 2013
Ivybridge
I think the youngsters mentioned are in a good position, if they want it and work hard in training with the right attitude i think their chance will come. I don't think you can blame Sheridan completely. Even in the bigger clubs most youngsters find it difficult to break through to first team football. Tyler Harvey should be thankful in my eyes, if he did have poor attitude in training then he is lucky to even be given another chance. Bentley, Hall and Rooney have good opportunities to progress but only if they really want it!! It's not easy!

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
Penmaster":smbh76ae said:
Mark Pedlar":smbh76ae said:

The FIFA rules (I think it is FIFA) mean the best 14, 15, 16 years old can leave for a pittance before we have chance to give them a pro contract and before they are good/strong enough to play 1st team football. It is beyond our control.

I really hate to say this, but I hazard a guess that some of the players coming through who have been offered a pro contract may well not have been offered one if the Lloyd Jones type players had not been taken from us for peanuts. We could have course play Bentley and Ourrington in every game and hope that they develop into L1/2 quality players or we can borrow young players from bigger clubs who are further ahead in their development.

Nothing would make me more happy than for a local lad to come through and have a Wottonesque career with us or move onto better things for a good price but sadly, I think those days have long gone.

There are two ways of looking at it. From the kids' point of view, by not letting them move to a top level academy you will be holding them back from reaching their full potential.

Mark Pedlar

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Jul 28, 2010
Lundan Cabbie":3j79fdja said:
Penmaster":3j79fdja said:
Mark Pedlar":3j79fdja said:

I really hate to say this, but I hazard a guess that some of the players coming through who have been offered a pro contract may well not have been offered one if the Lloyd Jones type players had not been taken from us for peanuts. We could have course play Bentley and Ourrington in every game and hope that they develop into L1/2 quality players or we can borrow young players from bigger clubs who are further ahead in their development.

There are two ways of looking at it. From the kids' point of view, by not letting them move to a top level academy you will be holding them back from reaching their full potential.

Or looking after them by not encouraging a false dream which will end with them being thrown out of that academy without any competitive football and no other skills or training at the age of 18/19.

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
I don't think you can accuse clubs of neglecting other forms of education anymore. Academies these days put as much into other academic studies as they do their football. I saw a video recently in a day of a football scholar. Their day started at 8.30 on the training ground and then they were bussed to school for 10am to 2pm before returning for more footy development. A long day for them but they are encouraged to develop other skills too.

Aug 12, 2011
Would love to see the stats as to how many kids do come through the smaller academies, not to make 1st year pro, but remain a pro for say over 5 years?

Guessing one in about 70, which makes the academy system seem more like a PR exercise, where coaches are producing grassroots footballers.