Where do the two fit. (Carey & Lameiras) | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Where do the two fit. (Carey & Lameiras)

May 4, 2012
Sunderland
oddball":200jo6ar said:
I think we have far too many central midfield players,probably because Adams wasn't too sure of getting Carey back again.We have five maybe six players for two central midfield slots.
Including Carey's spot, we have three central midfield positions. Ideally you'd have six players available for those two spots. We currently have Fox, Ness, Songo'o, Sarcevic, Threlkeld, Carey and Lameiras so seven. But Threlkeld has barely played in Midfield for us and is more likely seen as a right back which puts us down to six. The ideal number. It's possible Adams sees Songo'o primarily as a defender as well which would mean we have five and could even see another central midfielder join. We certainly don't have too many though.

May 8, 2011
samjones":36mivb5t said:
oddball":36mivb5t said:
I think we have far too many central midfield players,probably because Adams wasn't too sure of getting Carey back again.We have five maybe six players for two central midfield slots.

I agree. DA was clearly covering for GC's departure.
As regards Jervis defensive skills, the lad tracks back really well and plays for the team even if he is not a natural defender so I would not criticise him at all.

After GC, Jervis is my favourite player and seriously underrated IMHO

If Adams was unsure of Carey staying he could have held off signing players until he was certain.
There wouldn't have been any need to rush through signings just in case, I just can't believe Adams would risk using up his budget on players he might not need.

I just get the impression by the lack of rumours that Carey's decision was known several weeks ago.

Mar 23, 2008
Adam_R":fpa48iah said:
Nobby":fpa48iah said:
Monster Green":fpa48iah said:
Jervis does not have a defensive bone in his body.

Couldn't disagree more. Jervis puts in hell of a shift.

This
Indeed agree, where you can get confused is where he said defending in the sense Jervis does not to tackling. However he does work really hard to close down space, track back and play shape. In terms of Lameiras and Carey, all about options. We didn't have enough last season and all too often the choice from the bench was Tanner of a target man. Plus as others have pointed out, if Carey does have a quieter winter again nice to have players that can come in and give him a rest to get his mojo back.

Jul 19, 2006
Yorkshire
Who Cares? This is Dereks problem and one we would have all jumped at a week ago, When Carey drops in form he now has competition. He always drops off Nov & Dece and now knows if he does he can have a break ! Well done derek a very good squad you on paper have built again !

Mar 7, 2006
On secondment in Kent
Someone mentioned "top-dog" earlier and that is what each of the 6 attacking midfields will have to prove.

Wylde v Grant; Jervis v Ainsworth; Carey v Lameiras.

Each of them will know they have to play out of their skin to win/maintain their place in the starting XI. That can only be a good thing. In January they can assess if they are happy with their playing time.

Will they be eligible for the Combination League? Not sure what the age range is for that?

But for the first time in ages, very few players are guaranteed their shirt. Added to which they are a talented bunch to start with can only be a positive.

I'm guessing Sarcevic will be deployed in a deeper role as competition for Fox and Ness?

Dec 22, 2015
I think it will be really interesting to how Adams will set up his side in the first few games of the new season. Personally like Carey deeper and pinging balls about. We also need to take into account where Sarcevic comes in.... with a full pre season he could also do some damage this year.

Personally I still feel we need another 2 CM with a CB and Striker or 2 added.

Time will tell.

Jul 19, 2006
Yorkshire
Plymouth85Green":2qgn1fgt said:
I think it will be really interesting to how Adams will set up his side in the first few games of the new season. Personally like Carey deeper and pinging balls about. We also need to take into account where Sarcevic comes in.... with a full pre season he could also do some damage this year.

Time will tell.

Not sure we need any more midfielders think a striker and a cover goalkeeper could be bout all we need stupid rules on gks you should be able to emergency loan one of those rather than carrying 3 one of which my never ever play

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
For the Torquay game it was Carey shunted out to the right and Lameiras played in the middle behind Jervis.

It gives us the option of Carey cutting inside as he did with his goal. For 10 minutes in the second half Lameiras moved to the right and Carey in the middle.

The problem is neither player provides genuine width.

The answer of playing both might be in the second half formation against Torquay where Fox dropped deep and had Sarcevic and Lameiras playing in front of him. Carey and Lameiras could both play there although it might leave the midfield a bit weak.

Lameiras looks and plays like a lower league version of Philippe Countinho at Liverpool.

Keepitgreen

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
♣️ PACSA Member
♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🚑 Steve Hooper
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
May 12, 2008
Plymouth
edengreen":389fp1rw said:
Plymouth85Green":389fp1rw said:

Time will tell.

Not sure we need any more midfielders think a striker and a cover goalkeeper could be bout all we need stupid rules on gks you should be able to emergency loan one of those rather than carrying 3 one of which my never ever play
Hasn't it already been said that our youth keeper, Michael Cooper, will be the cover?

Jan 6, 2017
Plymouth
It will be very interesting to see how (or if) Carey and Lameiras play in the same side.

Personally, it would be nice to see them interchanging throughout the game but, we're not Liverpool, Chelsea or Tottenham here guys! I think if we follow the DA model of functionality over flair, then I can't see them playing together too much. I'd expect to see more of Lameiras when we're chasing games and need to open a team up.

As for Jake Jervis - he is one of the hardest working players I have ever seen at Home Park and is very very underrated indeed... oh, and scores goals!!

Jul 27, 2005
Plymouth
Cobi Budge":f4av2t78 said:
Sarcevic is also a very good, clever footballer, underrated.
Arguably because he's not playing in his best position and is more of an attacking midfielder by trade. Sarcevic is also in competition with Carey and Lameiras, but has the physicality to drop deeper, hence is getting used there more often by Adams.

As for Ruben and GC10 - both have the ability to play wide or through the middle. On tonight's showing, they will cause a lot of problems for League One defenders this coming season.