Who do we want as our new Manager | Page 107 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Who do we want as our new Manager

Who do you want as the new manager?

• Johannes Hoff Thorup

Votes: 84 21.3%
  • Anthony Barry

Votes: 50 12.7%
  • Paul Heckingbottom

Votes: 37 9.4%
  • Nigel Pearson

Votes: 26 6.6%
  • Michael Skubala

Votes: 53 13.5%
  • Nathan Jones

Votes: 11 2.8%
  • Alex Neil

Votes: 6 1.5%
  • Gareth Ainsworth

Votes: 8 2.0%
  • Gary Rowett

Votes: 9 2.3%
  • Someone else

Votes: 57 14.5%
  • David Wagner

Votes: 5 1.3%
  • Will Still

Votes: 48 12.2%

• Total voters
Aug 3, 2013
Coningsby
Simply amazing how social media can influence people and decisions.
Now i may be wrong but LR was not in the running at all. Gets sacked at Hull, social media posts and threads pop up and now hes 2nd fav with the bookies and on here he is clear favourite.

I have no idea btw who Argyle are going for and its great to have these threads and conversations.

If LR does end up being Argyle coach are we all now influencers......or just IJN 😂🤣🤣

Reactions: Lousy Pint

Quinny

Cream First
Jul 15, 2006
Kenton, Devon
My thoughts, FWIW.

I'm really not sure who I'd want the next manager/head coach to be, but one thing is for certain (for me) - that person has to be an experienced Championship manager and, ideally, comfortable in the role of head coach (as Dewsnip has said we're sticking with this model). Those are the only two criteria. I don't want us to gamble with a head coach from League One or Two (no matter how good their CV is) - at least not at this time, not with our current squad which (bar a few obvious exceptions) isn't rich with Championship-quality players.

SH said a few days ago that the club had made mistakes this season, and I believe one of those was that the Board was too naïve ... too nice ... this season. They need to be more aggressive, and to be quicker in making decisions: quicker in hiring a new head coach, and quicker in removing them if things are going seriously wrong.

Oct 19, 2021
My thoughts, FWIW.

I'm really not sure who I'd want the next manager/head coach to be, but one thing is for certain (for me) - that person has to be an experienced Championship manager and, ideally, comfortable in the role of head coach (as Dewsnip has said we're sticking with this model). Those are the only two criteria. I don't want us to gamble with a head coach from League One or Two (no matter how good their CV is) - at least not at this time, not with our current squad which (bar a few obvious exceptions) isn't rich with Championship-quality players.

SH said a few days ago that the club had made mistakes this season, and I believe one of those was that the Board was too naïve ... too nice ... this season. They need to be more aggressive, and to be quicker in making decisions: quicker in hiring a new head coach, and quicker in removing them if things are going seriously wrong.
I agree with your first point, I think we do now need a manager with Championship experience to help us kick on. It’s why I like the idea of Rosenior because he has some experience at this level, but also ticks other boxes too.

I do disagree with your second point though. Argyle are trying desperately hard to be a club that is regarded as an excellent place to work, where people get treated with respect and are given the tools and time to perform. Building that sort of reputation really can give us a competitive advantage over many other clubs who have a hire and fire mentality. The Foster debacle will have done some damage to that hard built reputation but hopefully not over the longer term.

Lousy Pint

Jam First
Sep 23, 2005
Milano
Not sure our next head coach is even on the list above but, of those to choose from, I have voted for Grant McCann.
Not sure what benefit any of the others, including Rosenoir, would bring us.
McCann has done brilliantly at Doncaster and talks sense and says it as he sees it. Whether we could prise him away is another matter.

Reactions: IvyG
Jul 29, 2012

So it seems style of play was the reason ? A bit odd given he was given a new 3 year contract in December.

That said they were pretty passive on Saturday and apparently their home 2-0 defeat to Stoke at end of March didn’t go down well .

Hull owner invested £26M into the club over the season so would be a big difference to come here .

Mar 23, 2008
For me, it would be Rosenior, then Duff and after that a wildcard appointment from overseas. In particular managers from Germany seem to suit English football or possibly a Scandinavian approach ala Brentford who have a model similar to ours.

Jun 27, 2019
So it seems style of play was the reason ? A bit odd given he was given a new 3 year contract in December.

That said they were pretty passive on Saturday and apparently their home 2-0 defeat to Stoke at end of March didn’t go down well .

Hull owner invested £26M into the club over the season so would be a big difference to come here .

They were among the lowest scorers in the top half of the table and out performed their xG by more than 10 goals - which is significant and suggests they didn't create a ton of good chances. They home form was also poor for a playoff chasing side - they won fewer home matches than relegated Birmingham.

I'm not saying Rosenior wouldn't be a good pick, just that we may need to consider if his style of play matches our club philosophy. On that note, it might be time to review that philosophy anyway - is it even possible to play attacking football on a Lidl budget? We managed it for half a season before the vultures started circling and that'll keep happening until Simon finds an investor with deep pocket.

Maybe the philosophy LR was trying to implement at Hull is exactly what we need to establish ourselves in this division.

SMG

Oct 22, 2021
Simply amazing how social media can influence people and decisions.
Now i may be wrong but LR was not in the running at all. Gets sacked at Hull, social media posts and threads pop up and now hes 2nd fav with the bookies and on here he is clear favourite.

I have no idea btw who Argyle are going for and its great to have these threads and conversations.

If LR does end up being Argyle coach are we all now influencers......or just IJN 😂🤣🤣

LR was not in the runnning before as he had a 3 year contract with a club with much more money to burn that us. But now he's available it changes everything. There's a reason 5live were discussing it with our captain last night, because he's an ideal candidate.

Jon with no H

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 6, 2023
Bolton
Not sure our next head coach is even on the list above but, of those to choose from, I have voted for Grant McCann.
Not sure what benefit any of the others, including Rosenoir, would bring us.
McCann has done brilliantly at Doncaster and talks sense and says it as he sees it. Whether we could prise him away is another matter.
I'm not sure he would be the person to get the best, or indeed anything, out of Bali Mumba, in particular. Not friends, it would seem.

Jan 6, 2004
They were among the lowest scorers in the top half of the table and out performed their xG by more than 10 goals - which is significant and suggests they didn't create a ton of good chances. They home form was also poor for a playoff chasing side - they won fewer home matches than relegated Birmingham.

On that note, it might be time to review that philosophy anyway - is it even possible to play attacking football on a Lidl budget? We managed it for half a season before the vultures started circling and that'll keep happening until Simon finds an investor with deep pocket.

Maybe the philosophy LR was trying to implement at Hull is exactly what we need to establish ourselves in this division.
On the evidence of this season I would say attacking football is the best way to play in this league with a restricted budget. We had to come out against Hull all guns blazing and as a result put in the best home performance since Shumacher left. I was in some ways before the game actually relieved a draw was useless to us, had we needed a draw we would have sat back as we did against Stoke and Millwall and could well have lost.

Last edited:
Reactions: MustardEagle

South Hams James

✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Mar 10, 2011

Just a point about investment, looking online there player purchases and sales over the last few seasons have been almost net zero, this doesnt take into account possible loan player fees. It does show how import developing players and selling them on to then purchases more potentially better players is, slowly building the squad.