Who do we want as our new Manager | Page 115 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Who do we want as our new Manager

Who do you want as the new manager?

• Johannes Hoff Thorup

Votes: 84 20.9%
  • Anthony Barry

Votes: 51 12.7%
  • Paul Heckingbottom

Votes: 39 9.7%
  • Nigel Pearson

Votes: 26 6.5%
  • Michael Skubala

Votes: 55 13.7%
  • Nathan Jones

Votes: 10 2.5%
  • Alex Neil

Votes: 6 1.5%
  • Gareth Ainsworth

Votes: 8 2.0%
  • Gary Rowett

Votes: 10 2.5%
  • Someone else

Votes: 59 14.7%
  • David Wagner

Votes: 5 1.2%
  • Will Still

Votes: 49 12.2%

• Total voters

MGM

✨Pasoti Donor✨
Dec 7, 2021
Interestingly before Foster came in one of the worst things Argyle did in the Championship was press. This is backed up by pressing stats before Foster’s appointment.

l guessing this is why we had defensive issues as although we were high up the pitch, teams often played through us like a knife through butter.

One thing Foster did do, was organise the way we press. If you look at games under Schumacher & compare then to Foster then you will notice we hunted in packs more effectively.

We aren’t a team that can press a loads because if you take Whittaker for example he is not the greatest in terms of his out of possession play. Then there is players we had in midfield that just aren’t athletic enough to continually do this. So under Foster, Argyle had to pick & choose their moments. It’s was one of the key reasons Argyle managed to get results at Middlesbrough. If l remember rightly he moved Gyabi to a number 10 position that day & his non stop running caused Middlesbrough issues.

If Rosenior were to become our manager then one important question is can he adapt his philosophy. As l don’t believe we have ball playing centre halves. The other issue is needing a GK like Allsop which is brilliantly quick in coming out of his area & very good with his feet. I’m not sure that describes Hazard.

Regarding Hull, people are using a sample size of how they played against us. I’m guessing they continued to play out from the back all season & so if they finished 7th l imagine it was somewhat successful. I mean you only have to go back a week or so and watch the game against Ipswich to see what a good high quality championship match should look like.

I notice names like Rosenior & Barry are being mentioned but to me you have to even wonder if they want to come here. Especially knowing what they will be up against financially in this league. The problem with expectations it’s raises the bar, which isn’t an issue, unless the reality of who actual becomes your head coach deflates you. Remembering that Foster was supposedly the best candidate out of a 100 plus applications makes me wary to think we can attract the Resenior’s & Barry’s of this world. Obviously we can enquire, but just like we see with players, convincing them to come to Plymouth is all together different.

Oct 10, 2018
Agreed- it would need an exceptional candidate to take from another club although we did that last time !

While stating that the process would be the same , SH also stated that greater emphasis would be placed on fan communication and man management skills . LR has received praise for both . He does seem to tick all of the boxes .

True the unknown factor in all the excitement in Liam R is that he may not want to jump straight into another role.

Plus he may prefer to be a manager with more decision making freedom, than the SH head coach role which I have my doubts about, it seems to me to many caveats being placed upon someone to be successful in at Home Park.

• Snore
Reactions: Penmaster
Oct 10, 2018
Must play attacking football, have a budget outside of league status, keep us progressing, yet not allowed to target players, our analyst and DOF will do that. Your expected to make a silk purse from a sows ear for next 5 years whilst we get our infrastructure sorted, is that OK.

• Eye-Roll
Reactions: Penmaster
Apr 8, 2016
Former Greens Legend making a name for himself as a manger, could we.......?

https://www.plymouthherald.co.uk/sp...35#ICID=Android_PlymouthHeraldNewApp_AppShare
Yes just saw this, he recently got his UEFA Pro License too. I think a Head Coach role for him at Argyle would be a bridge too far at this moment in time, and I doubt he would have enough points to be appointed as such for us at this moment in time (See Barnsley's attempted foriegn new manager). However, I would think if the new head coach was amenable to it, he would make a fantastic assistant. Skubala, Timar and Nance, one can dream 💚

Oct 10, 2018
Yes just saw this, he recently got his UEFA Pro License too. I think a Head Coach role for him at Argyle would be a bridge too far at this moment in time, and I doubt he would have enough points to be appointed as such for us at this moment in time (See Barnsley's attempted foriegn new manager). However, I would think if the new head coach was amenable to it, he would make a fantastic assistant. Skubala, Timar and Nance, one can dream 💚

Totally that would be a wonderful coaching team, if timar coaches with the same commitment as he did as a player in with the Lincoln boss what a exciting combo

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
Must play attacking football, have a budget outside of league status, keep us progressing, yet not allowed to target players, our analyst and DOF will do that. Your expected to make a silk purse from a sows ear for next 5 years whilst we get our infrastructure sorted, is that OK.

It would still be a multi-multi million pound budget in one of the world‘s best leagues. I do think it’s an incredibly attractive job, especially to a foreign coach.

Feb 14, 2022
Interestingly before Foster came in one of the worst things Argyle did in the Championship was press. This is backed up by pressing stats before Foster’s appointment.

l guessing this is why we had defensive issues as although we were high up the pitch, teams often played through us like a knife through butter.

One thing Foster did do, was organise the way we press. If you look at games under Schumacher & compare then to Foster then you will notice we hunted in packs more effectively.

We aren’t a team that can press a loads because if you take Whittaker for example he is not the greatest in terms of his out of possession play. Then there is players we had in midfield that just aren’t athletic enough to continually do this. So under Foster, Argyle had to pick & choose their moments. It’s was one of the key reasons Argyle managed to get results at Middlesbrough. If l remember rightly he moved Gyabi to a number 10 position that day & his non stop running caused Middlesbrough issues.

I am no Foster fan but I don't think we get 10 points scoring only 4 goals in the last 6 games without the defensive work he did with this squad. Pulisesque!

Mar 30, 2024
The biggest improvement came after Simon Ireland was appointed as coach. Argyle were still leaking goals prior to his arrival,10 goals conceded in the last 10 games subsequent to his taking up the coaching role.

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
I’m not convinced that Foster did make us any better defensively.

We conceded at Huddersfield, what a dreadful game. We conceded against Cardiff who were poor. We only kept a clean sheet at Swansea thanks to a a combination of poor finishing and some brilliant saves by Hazard. We were all over the place in the second half at Sunderland. We conceded two against Coventry, their equaliser was a farce and the lack of a wall could have only been an instruction from the coaching staff. We conceded three against West Brom. We were admittedly good at Middlesbrough. We then conceded goals against Ipswich, Wednesday, Blackburn, Preston, Norwich and Bristol City.

We kept two clean sheets in 17 under Foster.

We’ve kept three clean sheets (one of them against the Champions) in 6 under Dewsnip/Nancekivell.

Foster also froze out Dan Scarr, who has been our best defender since he was sacked.