Who do we want as our new Manager | Page 50 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Who do we want as our new Manager

memory man

āœ… Evergreen
šŸŽ« S.T. Donor šŸŽ«
āœØPasoti DonorāœØ
Nov 28, 2011
Romsey
Thanks for your reply graham

Will agree to disagree over michael duff

For my money : cheltenham and barnsley > swansea

And as I've said before I look on some form of failure as a positive- it terms of it being a learning experience

What I look for is a record of success- and you get that with michael duff .If you look for a manager with an unblemished record, you might have a rather long search.... ( to no ultimate avail)

And of course - any managerial record easily trumps no record at all ( foster, barry)....
Ā²https://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/spo...ng-favourites-for-role-4592828#commentsWidget

Worrying that if this has accuracy (a) he lives away and (b) he struggled with the media.

Jul 28, 2020
Duff was never the right manager for Swansea, but especially having him following Martin whose sides sometimes have 70/80% possession, was always a recipe for disaster. Duff's sides have never played that way, and so appointing him to play that way was a baffling choice. His sides are attacking, exciting and dynamic though. I think he'd be a much better fit for us than he was for Swansea. I also think it's worth pointing out that his Barnsley side hadn't started last season that well, they went on an incredible run of form in the second half of the season, and I do think he could have done the same at Swansea if given a chance, as a lot of managers are streaky and hit similar form at similar times of year. He was never going to get that chance being such a poor fit at Swansea though. With a full summer behind him I think he could be a really good appointment for us. I wouldn't necessarily expect the fastest start to a season ever, as his sides can take time to hit form as previously mentioned, but if given time which I think he would get here, then I think he could be a success. I think he would get the club and the fans, and that it would be much easier to buy into him, even if he doesn't get off to the best start.
Theres a lot been written about what qualities people want in our new manager ( whether or not we substitute the word 'coach' for his real job)

But what I think we need more than anything else is somebody who will keep Argyle firstly safe, and secondly competitive, in the championship

For my money, that particular piece of seaside candy rock, has michael duff's name running right through it....

Nov 18, 2011
Mike Williamson? Young, up and coming L2 manager, attractive style of football. Any of the others I agree Iā€™d be surprised.
The most interesting of the lot. Inherited a strong squad at MK Dons but has done a decent job. He needs a season in League 1 IMO, either at MK or somewhere else.

Reactions: MustardEagle
May 28, 2015
The most interesting of the lot. Inherited a strong squad at MK Dons but has done a decent job. He needs a season in League 1 IMO, either at MK or somewhere else.
I disagree, he played loads of games at this level and premiership level. Heā€™s proven with two clubs that he can play attractive football and to my knowledge Gateshead donā€™t have the best of players and he had them in the playoffs of the nation league when he left for MK. Iā€™m not saying heā€™s my choice but I would be happy with him if he was appointed. Just because he hasnā€™t managed a league one team yet doesnā€™t mean he canā€™t implement what heā€™s already achieved at this level

Reactions: Belfast Green
May 28, 2015
I think another interesting point with Mike Williamson (I donā€™t know what heā€™s teams have been like defensively without looking at stats) but having played as a centre back at quite a high level, I would hope he could sort out defence out without taking the attacking style away like foster did. I know he plays attacking football but I donā€™t know what his teams have been like at the other end of the pitch. Not to mention he grew up in Torquay

Nov 18, 2011
I disagree, he played loads of games at this level and premiership level. Heā€™s proven with two clubs that he can play attractive football and to my knowledge Gateshead donā€™t have the best of players and he had them in the playoffs of the nation league when he left for MK. Iā€™m not saying heā€™s my choice but I would be happy with him if he was appointed. Just because he hasnā€™t managed a league one team yet doesnā€™t mean he canā€™t implement what heā€™s already achieved at this level
I've watched a lot of League 2 football this season and the gap between it and the Championship is huge. What works in League 2 wouldn't necessarily do so in the Championship.