Why do we seem to hate Exeter but love Torquay? | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Why do we seem to hate Exeter but love Torquay?

Jan 6, 2004
I think hating Exeter was a temporary thing while we were terrible and playing in the same leagues all the time. When I first started to watch argyle in the 80s Exeter and Torquay were both seen as much of a muchness. It is not a very historic rivalry and I can sense it ebbing away again now.

Nov 18, 2011
The issue between Exeter and Plymouth goes beyond football, even at the time of the English civil war Exeter was Royalist while Plymouth was Parliamentarian! There's also a general ill feeling about a city half the size being in charge of the county.

There's none of this stuff with Torquay.

I moved here 41 years ago, and my first visit to HP was against newly promoted Exeter, managed by Gerry Francis. I promised my young sons an exciting derby game, but I have never been more underwhelmed. Very little passion, noise, excitement, nobody seemed too bothered about anything. Perhaps it was because there simply was no rivalry, both sides having spent a very long time previously in different divisions.

Jan 6, 2004
I moved here 41 years ago, and my first visit to HP was against newly promoted Exeter, managed by Gerry Francis. I promised my young sons an exciting derby game, but I have never been more underwhelmed. Very little passion, noise, excitement, nobody seemed too bothered about anything. Perhaps it was because there simply was no rivalry, both sides having spent a very long time previously in different divisions.
This is my recollection, it was only once we started playing them regularly that the rivalry picked up before that I cant remember them really registering at all- cant speak for pre mid 80s though before my time. Pompey were considered our real rivals in the late 80s - based presumably on the naval rivalry. While we have had many recent encounters I sense that rivalry has died down though.

TBP

Feb 28, 2022
First went to Argyle in 1969. Exeter City just weren't on the radar. A little club up the road. I always find the "rivalry" embarrassing and a symbol of Argyle's decline in the 1980s/90s. I'd much prefer we just forget them again asap now we're back where we belong.

Sep 17, 2011
Wheal Friendship, Mary Tavy
Think I might have to question monkeywrench's recall; this seems nearer the case as I approach 60 years on the terraces. We were playing Torquay on level terms only 10 years ago & it was only when they dropped out of the league that concern was raised. Now, of course, there are 4 levels' difference.

Jan 6, 2004
There's also a general ill feeling about a city half the size being in charge of the county.

There's none of this stuff with Torquay.
That is not true any more, Plymouth is a unitary authority sitting outside Devon for governance purposes...

Jan 12, 2020
I think my 35yrs as a member of the green army have seen Argyle frequently at our lowest ebb and struggling in the ‘lesser’ divisions and therefore encountering Exeter a bit more regularly. They did have the good grace to keep themselves even lower than the Greens for a fair period though!

In my opinion this footballing rivalry is predominantly a one-sided affair with Exeter’s jealousy driving their distaste for all things green, and any reciprocation is more in response to that rather than anything more deep rooted.

I would say however that as a city rivalry it is alive and well from both sides with Exeter’s sense of superiority a real annoyance for many Janners.

Last edited:
Reactions: Guiri Green
Jan 12, 2020
That is not true any more, Plymouth is a unitary authority sitting outside Devon for governance purposes...
Exactly. The city fans can sing one team in Devon as much as they like as far as I’m concerned because in essence they are right with Plymouth being it’s own place (and Torbay, currently at least).