Why do we seem to hate Exeter but love Torquay? | Page 3 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Why do we seem to hate Exeter but love Torquay?

vibratingspider

Joined 1996
Jam First
Oct 1, 2006
I think the "rivalry" is largely one way. I don't have any ill-feeling towards Exeter at all, but they're obviously not too keen on us. It feels like the little brother/big brother mentality in the same way as Scotland fans regard England (that's a whole separate thread!). The little brother is often full of bitterness and resentment towards the big brother, who is largely indifferent.

Reactions: Mark58
Jul 27, 2011
St Austell
I think THAT JPT game reignited the ill-feeling but if I have a chuckle at any side losing its Pompey and Bristol Rovers (not that arsed about Bristol City personally).

It’s generational though. If I asked my Dad then he would class Pompey as our biggest rivals growing up in the 70s and 80s.

Oct 21, 2015
When Neil Warnock was manager we played Exeter away and I was sat 2 rows behind him near the dug-out. He got a load of verbal abuse/banter (?). We won 0-1 !!!! Neil turn around and thrust his hand to the nearest Exeter Fan and said "I hope you enjoyed the game". Brilliant !!!!

Sep 6, 2006
Unfortunately I got stuck with some Exeter fans in the pub after Millwall. Clearly deluded. Tried to claim we are similar size clubs and when I pointed attendances history etc the response was about being a taller dwarf.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
Unfortunately I got stuck with some Exeter fans in the pub after Millwall. Clearly deluded. Tried to claim we are similar size clubs and when I pointed attendances history etc the response was about being a taller dwarf.

They're sort of right, but 2 x 3'6" is 7'2".

Jul 4, 2023
One of my first matches, and the last where I don't think there was any segregation, was something like a Devon bowl game against e*e*e* in about 78. We won 4-2 (I think) and I remember exter fans and us mixing freely in the Lyndhurst, no hatred there (or did I dream that?). Having said that torquay have been 'argyle b' for as long as I've known them so easy to like tufc.

Feb 8, 2005
Exeter is the County town of Devon, as it has a Cathedral, although Plymouth has a far richer past.

I believe the rivalry stems from their envy of our heritage, our port, our city and of our club. However they do have the advantage of the motorway, of their airport and of the Exeter Chiefs.

I have an Exeter supporter as a mate, who always puts Argyle down when he can. I let it go over my head. Argyle were always a bigger and better club than City. We were always bottom of the second/top of the third and they were predominantly in the fourth, and there were many times when we didn't meet but had a division dividing us, but recently they appear to have cemented their place in the third division.

They have never been in the second division. They have standing (not the safe standing version), which immediately puts them in a lower league to begin with. Their capacity is minimal. They are a tinpot Club, pretending to be something they are not.

As we slowly went downhill in the years after Holloway, we found ourselves in the third and fourth divisions, we played them a lot of times, and I think this is where the true rivalry came into its own. There were times when City were the better team (not the better club) and they were then able to say they were the best in the West, and they were quite right, they were.

They had their bad times too. In the 1990's they had rogues in charge of their club that syphoned off money, got found out and went to jail. The club got into great financial difficulty but the supporters were able to buy the club, put it into a Supporters Trust and they still do own it. However, they do not own their own ground and they cannot borrow, but they put their profits towards improving their Academy.

It has been their saviour, apart from the FA Cup games against Manchester United, which wiped out their debts big time. Their Academy has been very successful, partly due to the malaise of our club in those dark days when we had to sell all our best players to survive.

However, that is all in the past, and our future now seems assured with the arrival of Simon and Jane Hallett pumping money into our club. Owners that City have vowed never to have again, but to remain as a supporter owned club, which is why they will never be able to follow us up the table. They will never have the money to do so.

I believe that there were times when rivalry flared up, but only when we were both in the same division. Both clubs have been on the brink of extinction, and have braved the rise from the ashes, but Argyle will always be the bigger and better club, regardless of where City are, and Devon will always be green.

Jan 3, 2023
I remember when I first started supporting Argyle (1968)we drew Exeter in the first round of the league cup which went to a second replay (0-0 at home, 0-0 away and we lost the second replay 1-0 at Torquay. I went to all three games with my dad plus my uncle and cousin who were exeter supporters- you could do that then.
I also remember shouting out ‘ I hate Exeter ‘after losing the third game and was quickly silenced by my dad fearing any trouble. So At least one person hated Exeter then.

Oct 26, 2005
Torbay
Might be to do with Torquay having 7.30pm kick offs in the 1960s (many fans were in the hotel trade and were busy on 'changeover day' at 3pm). I, and other Argyle fans, whenever the opportunity arose, travelled to Torquay after the Argyle game and went to see Torquay play. Built more of a connection with Torquay than Exeter.

Reactions: StrictlyGreen
Jul 6, 2005
I think the "rivalry" is largely one way. I don't have any ill-feeling towards Exeter at all, but they're obviously not too keen on us. It feels like the little brother/big brother mentality in the same way as Scotland fans regard England (that's a whole separate thread!). The little brother is often full of bitterness and resentment towards the big brother, who is largely indifferent.
I think it's a bit of a generational thing.

When I started watching Argyle, Exeter and Torquay were 2 Divisions below and generally regarded as nice little clubs up the road where some Argyle players went to end their career.

It's was only when our fortunes fell and we started to play Exeter a bit more often that this supposed rivalry started to get talked about.

I’ve always thought of it as a bit of a one-sided rivalry, along the lines of Scotland v England, as a previous poster alluded to.

A more accurate comparison might be Portsmouth and Southampton, where the rivalry between the 2 places goes back generations to strike-breaking between the Wars. I believe that is the origin of the term "scummers".

But football-wise, it's basically a deep resentment from the Portsmouth fans towards Southampton because for so many years, they have had to look up the League from a position below them.

Reactions: Bernie Bernbaum