WMN interview with James Brent (23rd November) | Page 7 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

WMN interview with James Brent (23rd November)

Jan 27, 2012
Assuming Lundun Cabbie is correct, that makes interesting reading and just emphasises how Argyle have under performed over the years. Plymouth is a reasonably large city within the UK, and combined with a large catchment could and should draw decent crowds. The club needs to be well run over a period of years with a bit of financial injection. I think it nearly happened under the original Stapleton board until they sold out to those sharks.

Jan 4, 2005
NEWQUAY
gaspargomez":2dbea8xk said:
Assuming Lundun Cabbie is correct, that makes interesting reading and just emphasises how Argyle have under performed over the years. Plymouth is a reasonably large city within the UK, and combined with a large catchment could and should draw decent crowds. The club needs to be well run over a period of years with a bit of financial injection. I think it nearly happened under the original Stapleton board until they sold out to those sharks.

I just feel that focussing on the size of a city is a too simplistic way of assessing under/over performance. Looking at macro macro-Europe you could ask what has happened to European Champions Cup success in capitals like Berlin and Paris, which is dismal. It would also raise questions as to how a relatively small city like Nottingham could win the European Cup twice. The magic of success is brought together by the catalyst of a number of factors, not least tradition.

memory man

✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Nov 28, 2011
Romsey
Quintrell_Green":1v735px7 said:
gaspargomez":1v735px7 said:

I just feel that focussing on the size of a city is a too simplistic way of assessing under/over performance. Looking at macro macro-Europe you could ask what has happened to European Champions Cup success in capitals like Berlin and Paris, which is dismal. It would also raise questions as to how a relatively small city like Nottingham could win the European Cup twice. The magic of success is brought together by the catalyst of a number of factors, not least tradition.
Really good point. Often the appointment of a manager is key too. Just now and again the manager and the club are a perfect fit and a club thrives for a reason that is difficult to put your finger on. Clough at Derby is a prime example. They were a struggling second tier club when he arrived. To an extent Sturrock Mark 1 too. Further back Ted Bates at Southampton and Ramsey at Ipswich.

jerryatricjanner

✅ Evergreen
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 22, 2006
The difference now though is that it is nigh on impossible for club's of that ilk to qualify for never mind to win European trophies whoever their manager might be. The gap between the haves and have nots has become a chasm.

G

Greenskin

memory man":18fz848h said:
Quintrell_Green":18fz848h said:
gaspargomez":18fz848h said:

Really good point. Often the appointment of a manager is key too. Just now and again the manager and the club are a perfect fit and a club thrives for a reason that is difficult to put your finger on. Clough at Derby is a prime example. They were a struggling second tier club when he arrived. To an extent Sturrock Mark 1 too. Further back Ted Bates at Southampton and Ramsey at Ipswich.

True enough. But Argyle have had managers who have enjoyed plenty of success elsewhere-people like Ken Brown, Dave Smith, Holloway, Pulis, Allison, Waiters etc proved themselves more than capable of building very good teams in a host of different environments. Interesting that you bring up the name of Ted Bates-Southampton undoubtedly owe their current success to the foundations that he laid back in the 1960's.There was a documentary about him on Sky a few years ago and one comment from him always stuck in my mind-he stated that the object at Southampton was "to give the public the best team that we possibly could" and they were genuine in fulfilling that objective. No doubt you'll remember players such as Chivers, Webb, Paine, Sydenham etc who were all very valuable assets in monetary terms. Argyle also had some very good players on the books at the time-Book,Jackson,Trebilcock,Jennings etc who went on to very distinguished careers at high levels. Difference was that they kept their best players and built around them, whereas Argyle sold their assets almost seemingly to the first bidder and brought in inferior talents to replace them,with inevitable results and which reflect in the diverse status of the respective clubs to this very day.It was nothing to do with gates either-they were pretty similar at the time,it was more the prevailing mentality of the men at the top. No wonder there has been a deep rooted cynicism towards the club built up ever since. Could Ted Bates have achieved at Argyle what he did at Southampton? I would very much doubt it somehow.

Oct 24, 2010
gaspargomez":3alj1ic3 said:
He is correct or near enough. As I recall around 30 cities have hosted a Premier League club and Plymouth is around the 15th largest city in England. More statistics which blow out of the water the argument that the proposed stand is adequate for our future needs .

Aug 5, 2005
It blows nothing out of the water at all. It's nowhere near the water. It's lying in a desert with no dynamite. Talk about grabbing hold of a few numbers, nailing them together and trying to make a point out of them

Plymouth is the 50th largest district in England by population. In the top 25 we find...

5) Bradford
6) County Durham (contains Darlington and Hartlepool)
8) Wiltshire (Swindon)
11) Kirklees (Huddersfield)
12) Cheshire East (Macclesfield)
14) Barnet (Barnet)
15) Ealing (no league teams)
18) Cheshire West and Chester (Chester)
19) Wakefield (no league teams)
22) Wirral (no league teams)
23) Northumberland (Berwick-on-Tweed!)
24) Enfield (no teams)
25) Dudley (no teams)

All of these districts have a population of at least 60000 higher than Plymouth

So by your reckoning, these districts should build a massive stadium because it is inevitable that they will reach the Premier League?

G

Greenskin

Right, so now you've brought complete counties into the equation. By logical deduction surely that would mean that Devon, as a "district", would be the criteria by which to judge relative population size rather than Plymouth on it's own? :?

G

Greenskin

Rather irrelevant to the issue though surely? I see Cornwall is fourth in the district league table for population-would Cornwall not be seen as a potentially productive area when it comes to attracting crowds and therefore to be taken into account along with the Unitary authorities of Plymouth and other diverse parts of Devon when it comes to ascertaining a potential catchment area?

Nov 18, 2014
Greenskin":3s50nosn said:
Rather irrelevant to the issue though surely? I see Cornwall is fourth in the district league table for population-would Cornwall not be seen as a potentially productive area when it comes to attracting crowds and therefore to be taken into account along with the Unitary authorities of Plymouth and other diverse parts of Devon when it comes to ascertaining a potential catchment area?

It most certainly should, we get fantastic support from Cornwall and the potential for even more is always there in relation to Argyle's progress. Some of Quizmike's stats seem a touch bizarre, many of the districts/cities on his list are in close proximity to many other clubs, some of them giants, surely that would have an affect their potential attendances?

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
Still don't see the relevance.

Plymouth's not a football city, end of.

As for the Cornish, God bless 'em, without our six fingered cousins, we'd be knackered.

G

Greenskin

IJN":2mfsiwnx said:
Still don't see the relevance.

Plymouth's not a football city, end of.

As for the Cornish, God bless 'em, without our six fingered cousins, we'd be knackered.

There was a survey done by Stapes and co a few years ago which established that 23% of Argyles support came from Cornwall, which is hardly the bedrock that you claim it to be.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
This is the same Stapes that told us 'not to worry' is it? :greensmile:

Joking apart, I think it's amazing that nearly a quarter of our fan base comes from a different County.