Worst Ever Game | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Worst Ever Game

Jun 18, 2005
born St. Columb, Cornwall
Papa Johns final last year. Such a let down. I never leave games early but I felt like it that day.
Also, vague bad memories of loosing at Worcester City in the cup in the Silkman days being a shocker too.🤣

Oct 2, 2009
Fulwood Lancs
I've been watching Argyle for over 50 years now & so have obviously seen plenty of tripe but the one game that stands out for me is York 2 Argyle 0 in 2013.
Argyle were battling to stay in the league & were absolutely atrocious, apart from a total lack of footballing skill there was no fight or passion.
I traipsed out the ground thinking this is it, next year I'm gonna be watching non-league.....I challenge anyone who was at that game to name a worse performance than that 😃

Nov 18, 2011
Brighton 4 Argyle 0 - 22/02/11

Completely played off the park by a good Brighton team who would go up that season but that's not the main reason it was so bad.

It was at the Withdean which is possibly the worst stadium I've ever seen football at. You literally couldn't see half the pitch from the away end and had to guess what was happening from the reaction of the crowd.

The main reason it was so bad though was that we had taken a 10 point deduction the day before and things looked bad, really bad. We were in the process of getting in the administrators.

My overriding memory at the time was that this awful game of football may be the last time I ever see Argyle.

The only positive was all the messages of support from the Brighton fans and also over the tannoy.

Last edited:

Bernie Bernbaum

Pasoti Quiz Champions
May 29, 2015
Both home and away defeats against them up the road in 1992-93. The former game the only time I have left well before the finish.

SurreyJanner

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 30, 2015
I was in the Boardroom when we drew 0-0 at Dagenham. They absolutely pummelled us, their Directors were almost annoyed at how luck we were. It could have 4/5 - 0 yo them! 😀

My worst game was at Oxford we lost 0-2 to an Oxford team that were very poor themselves. 'You're not fit to wear the shirt' was sung that day.

To make things worse Mackie scored the first and he celebrated like mad. I never liked him before but i definitely didn't after. Then Curtis Nelson got the second, what a day eh?
I'll second that game away at Oxford, words don't do justice to how awful Argyle were. Our best chance fell to the massively overpaid loanee Stuart O'Keefe, who blasted the ball into orbit over the car park - don't think its landed yet.

Reactions: Midsomer Green

J Y Kelly

🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Aug 14, 2006
Certainly the worst half of football in recent memory for me is the second half against WBA this season. As good as West Brom were, we were completely clueless.

Reactions: BrixhamGreen
Sep 17, 2003
Sherborne
I was in the Boardroom when we drew 0-0 at Dagenham. They absolutely pummelled us, their Directors were almost annoyed at how luck we were. It could have 4/5 - 0 yo them! 😀

My worst game was at Oxford we lost 0-2 to an Oxford team that were very poor themselves. 'You're not fit to wear the shirt' was sung that day.

To make things worse Mackie scored the first and he celebrated like mad. I never liked him before but i definitely didn't after. Then Curtis Nelson got the second, what a day eh?t
Funny enough, that Oxford game was my worst memory too, was just about the first and only game that I didn't stay to the final whistle.

Steamer

✅ Evergreen
Oct 17, 2008
Essex
Wembley last year, Papa Johns 4-0 loss against Bolton. Started off with such high hopes and ended in total humiliation .. half the Argyle fans left early which says everything ...

Jun 4, 2015
Ford
Worst game I ever saw was an absolutely dire draw vs Hull at HP around 2005. Can’t recall exactly but I think it ended goaless and was the only time I’ve ever considered going home at half time, it was that bleddy awful.

Sep 7, 2006
London
The playoff final against Wimbledon. We just didn’t turn up. Been plenty more boring games or ones against Wycombe where they were rolling on the ground all game but with what was at stake against Wimbledon it has to be that for me
This one sticks out to me too.

I dragged my mum - who is technically a life long fan, who dropped granddad's tickets to Argyle Spurs FA Cup 1962 in the fireplace as a child (!) - to Wembley on the premise that the only Argyle game she'd been to in my lifetime was the '96 playoff win.Convinced she was a good omen.

Disaster performance.

Dec 20, 2022
I could pick virtually any away performance of the late 90's and it would have a case. Being 4-0 down to Cheltenham at half time was a particular lowlight.

Wembley 2016 was pretty awful especially given the euphoria of the Pompey game.

However the absolute pits for me has to be the FA Cup replay at Stourbridge, a semi-pro outfit with day jobs. It was freezing, the away support were fighting amongst themselves and the 2-0 scoreline really didn't flatter them. I still have the programme somewhere.

Dec 30, 2010
United Kingdom
I've been watching Argyle for 25 years. It might be recency bias but the performances at home to West Brom and then Preston this season were among the worst I've seen. I suppose the expectations were so much higher, but the Preston game, especially, was one of the most toxic and unenjoyable I can remember.

Reactions: BrixhamGreen
Feb 23, 2022
17th December 1994.
Brentford 7 Argyle 0

Just a woeful display. A mix up with the kit meant we came out looking like a pub team (green shirts, yellow shorts if I recall), then proceeded to play like one. Couldn't string a pass together, no effort, no enthusiasm & we made Brentford look like Brazil.
Probably the lowest moment in my years of following.
Yep, this one… Only I think it was the dark green & black stripe kit.
Swan was playing too if memory serves me right.

“I ‘ad a wheelbarrow the front wheel went round….”

Shocking performance.