Worst Ever Game | Page 8 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Worst Ever Game

Oct 10, 2018
Argyle v Hull ( under Blobby Williamson), think his last game in charge.

Neither team could pass water on the day, it took.a single wonder goal and I messed it, as I'd fallen.a sleep watching us and Hull take turns miss passing into touch, seen better quality on a subudial table.

Jan 4, 2005
NEWQUAY
Stourbridge in the FA Cup. Non league setting and like watching two non league teams. Seemed like the nadir of a really bad time.

Rovers in the Cup at Twerton was stupidly priced at £25 priced for 30 years ago. We got thrashed. I was chatting to Carl Saunders a few years ago bemoaning the experience and that he scored a hat trick. He grinned and reminded me he had scored four.
Did we not draw with Stourbridge in the Cup at home and then lose in the replay up there? I recall coming up by train expecting a win after a run of poor results. What a miserable afternoon's viewing that was with Beefy Williams as full back. Did Argyle also not try to sign the Stourbridge striker, who had a great game against us but disappeared into the Midlands ether.

May 22, 2006
Did we not draw with Stourbridge in the Cup at home and then lose in the replay up there? I recall coming up by train expecting a win after a run of poor results. What a miserable afternoon's viewing that was with Beefy Williams as full back. Did Argyle also not try to sign the Stourbridge striker, who had a great game against us but disappeared into the Midlands ether.
Yep, we drew 3-3 at HP and they beat us at theirs.

Remember a guy called Bignot having a particularly bad game.

Jan 27, 2006
As a performance it probably doesn't come close to some that have been mentioned but Wolves away in the FA Cup under Pulis was as miserable as I've been at an Argyle game.

Mar 14, 2024
Reading 1985 not a bad performance persay but still have nightmares about that one. 4 crazy minutes and we go from 3-1 up to 4-3 down. I got the blame in the minibus on the way back home for starting the we want 4 chant when we were 3-0 up. Seen some dross over the years but that one really hurt.
And Clayton blazing over an open goal at 0-3. Not such an issue in that moment, but still haunting me 40 years later! Good times 🥬

Oct 31, 2015
I recall being hammered by Exeter at home 0-3 and they played in a Sh*tty brown kit with coloured paint flecks all over it
Oh yea remember that game. Threw my scarf on the pitch before the final Whistle. The steward gave it back to me so I threw it again🤣🤣I was fuming

Greenarmy96

Cream First
Oct 5, 2021
Perth
Probably not the worst but 29th Dec 2012, Wycombe got an early goal, and did what Wycombe did best for the rest of the game. We had a nothing team and never looked like scoring.
I remember the devonport end complaining at another Wycombe “injury” and Ainsworth just looking up, stroking back his greasy hair and smiling at us. Horrific.

Dec 9, 2012
Crikey, where to start?

It has to be Bristol City away last September. It wasn't just the performance - there have been loads of equally inept ones - it was the entire experience.

Parked a fair old step from the ground and met friends inside. The atmosphere in the away end was horrible - beer lobbed around, massive arguments between at least a couple of groups of Argyle fans which went on for most of the game. A long old drive back to Surrey to end a horrible day.

It is the only time I have genuinely come away from a game asking myself 'Why do I bother?'

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
The 5 nil cup defeat at Bristol City under Adams was pretty bad.

Who the hell scouted Robbert te Loeke?

Sep 17, 2011
Wheal Friendship, Mary Tavy
Oct 1970: Wrexham 4 Argyle 0. The Argyle coach departed about 11pm on the Friday, arriving in the dump that is Wrexham at something like 5 am. Lord only knows why the coach needed to leave at that hour and arrive with everything closed in Wrexham. In those days coaches had no loo and no refreshments and smoking was permitted. I remember the vile stench of stale cigarette smoke and recycled farts on the trip. When we got to the ground, some bright spark suggested we go to what turned out to be the home fans' Kop end. We got surrounded by angry Wrexham fans and there was a suggestion pen-knives were being brandished. The police moved in and told us Argyle fans to disperse. My mates and I went to the opposite end and got drenched in the pouring rain. Argyle were dreadful and deservedly got thumped. After the match we trudged back to the cafe that had allowed us in earlier in the day. Not this time and as we waited forlorn for the coach, Wrexham fans started lining up on the other side of the road. The coach arrived just in time. There then followed another damp, smelly, dejected coach journey back to Plymouth.
Yes, my first away trip. We had a kick about in the car park of an agricultural college before the game and that was as good as it got. It poured with rain during the match and most of the trip. Think departure time was dictated by the absence of any meaningful motorways at the time - we certainly stopped at Bridgwater on the way.

Dec 20, 2022
Yep, we drew 3-3 at HP and they beat us at theirs.

Remember a guy called Bignot having a particularly bad game.

It was an evening game. In fairness can't dig out Bignot for having a bad game as he got sent off barely half an hour in.....

The striker we were supposedly keen on was Ryan Rowe,

Aug 10, 2006
The 7 nil defeat at Brentford was bad but still can't forget the 5 1 defeat at Grimsby in the FA Cup when you think they hadn't won at home for 6 games shocking and worse still most of the few hundred Argyle fans there clapping the Team off at the end.