Would you swop Sheridan for Tisdale? | Page 15 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Would you swop Sheridan for Tisdale?

Jul 2, 2014
Why NFL Teams Should Reconsider Giving Coaches The Heave-Ho - http://www.npr.org/2015/01/23/379282762 ... e-heave-ho

Now this story is not about real football, but I suspect it applies equally well.

The bottom line for me is that I feel fans personalize results way too much - and either fail to really appreciate or under emphasize the larger context - like budgets.

Sometime ago I read the book Soccernomics which graphed a teams wage expenditure verses average league position - for the top two divisions I think. The result was a beautiful straight line with a few fairly minor variations where team over-performed or under-performed a bit.

We have the third largest average attendance in the league (behind Portsmouth and Luton), but paying past debts etc., probably means that our wage expenses are probably behind 2-4 teams with slightly smaller average attendance (Southend, Oxford, Shrewsbury, maybe Cambridge.) Ergo, Sheridan should deliver a playoff finish (at least) or he can fairly be judged to be underperforming. His public comments for this season seem to reflect that.

Tisdale is certainly overperforming as a manager given Exeter's financial standing. More impressive is Gareth Ainsworth at Wycombe - if their budget is higher than ours, it certainly isn't from their turnstile receipts (averaging less than 4,000 per home game).
:scarf:

Apr 20, 2008
Plymouth
From the OS:

As you would expect, a run of unwanted results in the middle of a prosperous campaign has drawn criticism from many Argyle fans and onlookers. John is urging those on the outside to judge him on the club’s results over the course of the season, rather than by their perception of his demeanour.

“People outside, because you are not winning games or scoring goals, they look at things," said John. "They usually put two and two together and get five. I have got to stay positive."

Absolutely spot on. He should be judged on how well his team is doing, not by how he acts in the dugout.

Who cares if he isn't jumping around his technical area, shouting and screaming and "kicking every ball"?! Remember Paul Mariner? He certainly did do those things whilst he was manager, and his tenure was poor at best!

Judge Sheridan on his tactics, team selections, signings etc.