The turn around in style | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

The turn around in style

Jan 6, 2004
Perhaps as remarkable as the turn around in form this season is the complete reversal of the team's basic strategy employed for last three years under Adams.

Our success in league two was built on solid defence, giving the other side most of the possession, hitting teams on the break and holding on to what we have. The last couple of months we have changed to a swaggering possession based attacking approach which is in essence, "bring it on, however many you score we will score more."

I wonder what the catalyst for that change was?

May 28, 2015
The fact we were losing games and looked dead and buried? We had to try something new. It couldn't of gone any worse than how the season started. And credit to Adams for changing his style it has clearly worked whether we reach the playoffs or not considering the start of the campaign it has been a great turn around

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
Yellow balls! :)

Watch us drop like a stone when the white balls return in a few weeks.

Jan 6, 2004
PAFC123":3n0vwpzp said:
The fact we were losing games and looked dead and buried? We had to try something new. It couldn't of gone any worse than how the season started. And credit to Adams for changing his style it has clearly worked whether we reach the playoffs or not considering the start of the campaign it has been a great turn around

That does perhaps suggest that success may have come quicker in League Two, and indeed earlier this season, if we had adopted that approach all along (appreciating of course that you need the players for it)

Argyle Nutter

Golf Liaison Officer ⛳️
🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
Brickfields Donor
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Jan 16, 2006
On the sunny side of the street
PL2 3DQ":otczq84r said:
Yellow balls! :)

Watch us drop like a stone when the white balls return in a few weeks.

Funny, although any one else have problems last night loosing the ball in amongst the yellow shirts of Wimbledon or was it just me.

Larry David

✅ Evergreen
Apr 9, 2004
LA NY or Cuckfield
Adams has said in interview that he got it wrong to start with, he was surprised at the difference in quality and had to have a tactical rethink.

We're more on the front foot from the off rather than sitting in and playing on the counter and we were getting punished by better quality players at this level.

Since the return of Ryan Taylor who has been key to playing with a front three we are able to press much higher up which was something we weren't doing at the start of the season.

The Brucie Bonus has been the form of Lameiras buzzing around with Carey causing a massive problem for the opposition where prior to Taylor's return we had virtually no prescence up front and the midfield was constantly under siege.

Sep 7, 2006
Larry David":3nuayjpz said:
Adams has said in interview that he got it wrong to start with, he was surprised at the difference in quality and had to have a tactical rethink.

We're more on the front foot from the off rather than sitting in and playing on the counter and we were getting punished by better quality players at this level.

Since the return of Ryan Taylor who has been key to playing with a front three we are able to press much higher up which was something we weren't doing at the start of the season.

The Brucie Bonus has been the form of Lameiras buzzing around with Carey causing a massive problem for the opposition where prior to Taylor's return we had virtually no prescence up front and the midfield was constantly under siege.

Absolutely spot on. You can't just flick a switch and decide to play this way - it requires a forward with the skill to retain the ball well enough that others can push up in support, enabling us to play more of the game in the opposition half. First 1/3 of the season we were camped in our own half.

Feb 2, 2007
Shape was determined in pre season- it carried into Peterborough and then Charlton but as the loss of Taylor started to tell we couldn’t get it back until Toums came back. We dropped gradually deeper in the intervening games without a target man and the midfield failed to make their extra man count.

As Taylor returned and then confidence the shape worked on in pre season has paid dividends. All the personnel are on it and I think the loss of Eddy has further helped galvanise.

Sep 23, 2014
plymouth
Ever since since Mr Adams has been manager myself and dozens on here have been moaning about one up front, lack of width, no midfielders running beyond the centre forward etc, even last year getting promotion the football was poor, and we were shot down when we dare say football is about being entertained, and the result is the main thing no matter how carp we play, Well now with Lameiras and Carey playing so wide and far up, and Sarcevic and Ness running with the ball, maybe we were right ? its very entertaining, and look at the run we are on, we no longer start the game waiting to see what the other side is going to do, we are making it happen, and look at the crowds, and you can feel the buzz about the place, I'm back to the cant wait for the next game feeling, maybe Mr Adams listened ?

Apr 4, 2010
Cornwall
I thought it was odd the number of wingers and "flair" players we signed in the summer only to play a very rigid and defensive style.

With the return of Taylor I do wonder if Adams intended to play this way all along so he brought in players like Lamieras, Ainsworth and Grant. Sadly injury to our focal point in attack ruined a summer of preparation to play this way.

We looked so all over the place after Taylor got injured; once it became clear Blissett/Ciftci weren't up to it Adams had to completely change the way we played to fit the forward line we had. It was a struggle at first but once the team got used to playing that way results and confidence started to pick up.

This up-turn was timed very nicely being just before Taylor came back, meaning we were already building that confidence needed to just pick up where we left off in the summer. Players like Lamieras and Ness came back into the fold where I think Adams intended for them to be all along.

Jan 6, 2004
Some interesting responses. Even the most ardent of Adams supporters must never have thought he would produce a team comaparable with those of Shilton and Holloway for sheer entertainment...

Jan 16, 2010
plymouth
full credit to derek for admitting his surprise at the quality.he has addressed it expertly.having taylor back,reuben playing the free role and the unexpected good midfield role by jamie has enhanced this. :clap:

Larry David

✅ Evergreen
Apr 9, 2004
LA NY or Cuckfield
What was nice was hearing Paul Hurst, the Shrewsbury manager who has by the way done a fantastic job, admit that Tayls gave a great exhibition of how to play the centre forward role. He is absolute quality. Brilliant signing by Derek.

Aug 2, 2011
The return of Ryan Taylor, Oscar and loanee keepers have all played their part. Playing Jake Jervis as a lone up front player never really came off. Taylor has drawn the opposition central defence in a way that Jervis never could. This has allowed Carey and Lamerias the freedom to room and to play the pretty stuff and stretch the rest of the opposition defence leading to goals.

Given our early injury list and red card problem during the first 10 or so games there was not much Adams could do.

Oct 31, 2015
Presto":16ozh3w8 said:
The return of Ryan Taylor, Oscar and loanee keepers have all played their part. Playing Jake Jervis as a lone up front player never really came off. Taylor has drawn the opposition central defence in a way that Jervis never could. This has allowed Carey and Lamerias the freedom to room and to play the pretty stuff and stretch the rest of the opposition defence leading to goals.

Given our early injury list and red card problem during the first 10 or so games there was not much Adams could do.

Soooo pleased with change in tactics and the free flowing football we are seeing. I can remember a season like this.

When DA joined he was quoted as saying he was an attacking manager who preferred high scoring game. For 2 1/2 years we fidnt see that as we eent out not to concede. Yes it worked in league 2 but boy was it dull. A lot of us were screaming for more attack minded tactics.

I do think the change was going to happen this year but crucially Taylor getting injured so early on put the cat amongst the pigeons.

What I will say is DA could not help the keeper situation he could have done something about the crap tactics deployed for 2 months and the poor discipline.

Why did he insist on the loan striker role when shiftkey, Blisset and Jake were obviously not fit for that role. And if a Taylor esq forward was soo key to thesr tactics why wasnt cover bought in.

My other gripe was the consistent use of Miller. Wow that was bad. Poor bloke couldnt cope at this level.

I think the players sorted the discipline after the Fleetwood debacle after the match.

I also think DA lucked upon Toums when he did who started pushing us up the park and later lucked upon Ruben and GC10 playing so well together.

I am not taking anything away from DA and the coaches because they have turned it around and made this the best season for me since Hollowords took us into the championship play off area.

I said in October the players were better than the tactics being used and it has been proven.

Boy what a ride since Shrewsbury at Home in November :)