Derek's signings that maybe didn't work | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Derek's signings that maybe didn't work

earl grey

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Nov 26, 2011
So, I liked Derek for most of the time, bit there were some strange signings, ones that looked to be too much of a gamble from the start.

Who wants to chuck a few names in as the biggest non starters that have, since they left, dropped down through the leagues?

I can think of a couple more but I will start with;

karleigh osborne
Jordan Slew (he did ok tho)

I can't remember more of a selection of players that have gone out of the leagues in my time watching

Although I have to say any manager that brings the joy of watching Ruben, Carey and fox, is allowed some deadwood in my opinion

Green Jim

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Jun 16, 2006
Steve Evans":1nok8qkb said:
morning buddy.why did he sign lionel ainsworth?his biggest mistake in my opinion was matt macey! :facepalm:
Its funny how it goes as i was initially excited by both of those signings however i think most would agree they turned out to be very underwhelming!

Sep 23, 2014
plymouth
earl grey":11n1pjja said:
So, I liked Derek for most of the time, bit there were some strange signings, ones that looked to be too much of a gamble from the start.

Who wants to chuck a few names in as the biggest non starters that have, since they left, dropped down through the leagues?

karleigh osborne

I can't remember more of a selection of players that have gone out of the leagues in my time watching

Although I have to say any manager that brings the joy of watching Ruben, Carey and fox, is allowed some deadwood in my opinion
Can we please move on ?

Princerock

♣️ PASALB Member
Aug 14, 2011
Nathan Blissett
Simon Church
Nadir Ciftci
Vincent Dorel
David Goodwillie
Daniel Nardiello
Karleigh Osborne
Robbert le Loeke

Aug 5, 2015
How about a thread about “Derek’s signings that maybe did work” like Graham Carey for instance. Just for balance although I agree it would be far far better to move on. Not much pleasure to be had in constant post-mortems I would have thought

Oct 20, 2015
Princerock":3atiyx0a said:
Nathan Blissett
Simon Church
Nadir Ciftci
Vincent Dorel
David Goodwillie
Daniel Nardiello
Karleigh Osborne
Robbert le Loeke

you forgot Paton (possibly a loan though, can't remember)

Sep 6, 2006
slingsby_pobble":7tqghmua said:
Princerock":7tqghmua said:
Nathan Blissett
Simon Church
Nadir Ciftci
Vincent Dorel
David Goodwillie
Daniel Nardiello
Karleigh Osborne
Robbert le Loeke

you forgot Paton (possibly a loan though, can't remember)

Paton was short term deal. Absolutely hopeless. O'Keefe a loan signing but probably forgotten already. Anderson what was the point? There were plenty of naff signings including a few still at the club unfortunately. Made me think it was more luck than judgement that amongst all the dross 2 or 3 pearls were found.

Lancastergreen

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿
Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
Jan 12, 2017
Plymouth
Why keep slating someone who is no longer with us?
Not only that but why slate players who tried their best even if they weren't good enough?
Time to move on and leave these in the past.

RKB

♣️ PASTA Member
Jul 22, 2013
Jervis, Wylde (1st spell), Carey, Slew (did a job in League 2), Spencer (same), Threlkeld, Bradley, Fox, Sarcevic, Taylor (before injury), J.Grant, Lameiras, Ness, Diagouraga, Letheren and Ladapo.

That's probably around 40% of who came in over the 4 years, and would have been over half if last summer hadn't been his weakest in terms of recruitment, and ultimately the reason for his downfall.

Overall, I think it's a pretty good record, and certainly better than some on here are willing to give Adams credit for.

Emu

Oct 3, 2003
Sarf London
I don't think people take into account that Adams was working on a tight budget and a fair few of those players listed on this thread were ones that he's obviously taken a punt at on the cheap in the hope that they come good. Some you win, some you lose.

earl grey

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Nov 26, 2011
pearces greens":1idw4z64 said:
earl grey":1idw4z64 said:

karleigh osborne

Can we please move on ?

Feel free Sir or Madam x

earl grey

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Nov 26, 2011
Lancastergreen":1ozzyewu said:
Why keep slating someone who is no longer with us?
Not only that but why slate players who tried their best even if they weren't good enough?
Time to move on and leave these in the past.

Not slating, Just looking at facts. This site has turned very grumpy over the years.

Oct 18, 2010
St Judes
Paton was short term deal. Absolutely hopeless. O'Keefe a loan signing but probably forgotten already. Anderson what was the point? There were plenty of naff signings including a few still at the club unfortunately. Made me think it was more luck than judgement that amongst all the dross 2 or 3 pearls were found.
Agree.

Jul 12, 2016
Despite not liking Adams as our manager, I must give credit where it is due. I believe most fans ,me included ,did not rate many of last season's players. Even Ladapo with his 19 goals strangely did not endear himself to the fans yet we are now seeing clubs competing to sign them. Apart from Ness most of the leavers are close to being offered deals in league 1 or above.
Not sure what these clubs can see which we couldn't last
season but perhaps Adams recruitment was not as bad as perceived and it was his management style which was the problem?