Has there ever been a more important Devon Derby? | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Has there ever been a more important Devon Derby?

Dazzy3000

✅ Evergreen
Dec 3, 2008
Genuinely interested as in my relatively short supporting life (I’m 30 years old) I can’t think of one. From memory the2011 league 1 game is the only one I can think of that comes close...

up the line

🚑 Steve Hooper
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 7, 2010
Manchester
I think we need to stop fixating on this one game until perhaps the week before.
There are 5 matches to play between now and then and the table could look very different by the time we play them.
If its still nip and tuck between us and the Chinos for an automatic spot at that point in time then it will indeed be an archetypal 6 pointer with added oomph. But until then its one game at a time

Even with five games to go before then, it would take a huge change in form by either team for this not to be a critical encounter. FWIW my prediction is that the top six positions will still be about where they are now, so I suspect that both sides will treat not losing as the number one priority. May sound negative but I’d take a draw now, and rely on other games to get us over the line.

Aug 17, 2011
Kings Tamerton
mervyn":1qkescpr said:
Even with five games to go before then, it would take a huge change in form by either team for this not to be a critical encounter. FWIW my prediction is that the top six positions will still be about where they are now, so I suspect that both sides will treat not losing as the number one priority. May sound negative but I’d take a draw now, and rely on other games to get us over the line.

I would suggest that all of our games are ours to lose including Exeter at home. That’s not to say we’re going to win them all but I see Bradford as possibly the worst of our run in at the moment.

The Chino’s have is away and god forbid we are as bad as at their place (which I don’t believe we will be) and they’ve also got to play Crewe so we are in as strong a position as we could be.

RL will have to make sure we are on the game from minute one however.

May 27, 2019
EXETER/OWLERTON
Maybe 83/84. A week after the FA cup semi final, Argyle played the away league game and were certainly in danger of relegation at that point of the season. I think from memory it was 2-2

Apr 15, 2004
East Devon
If it's anything remotely like the last game - I will HAVE TO emigrate, change my name and seriously consider gender re-assigment (just in case). So NO there has never been a more important derby ....... and I'm dreading it :sad:

Aug 4, 2018
Sadly, I think we'll capitulate under huge pressure, huge crowds, and huge expectations. When all is said and done, we've blown hot & cold all season. A Season in which we have needed to blow a bit more hot than cold - warm even!!!!!

I've always advocated that we'll do so much better after two season under RL than one season.

UTBA :thumbup:

JannerinCardiff

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
♣️ SWAG Member
Jul 16, 2018
Cardiff
Ade the green":2zvg3x0q said:
mervyn":2zvg3x0q said:

I would suggest that all of our games are ours to lose including Exeter at home. That’s not to say we’re going to win them all but I see Bradford as possibly the worst of our run in at the moment.

The Chino’s have is away and god forbid we are as bad as at their place (which I don’t believe we will be) and they’ve also got to play Crewe so we are in as strong a position as we could be.

I honestly think finishing above them is more important than individual results. As another poster has said what is just as important is the other 11 games we play as well as this one. Either team could be 6 points ahead of the other by the time we play them.

Sep 6, 2006
JannerinCardiff":3s49ltea said:
Ade the green":3s49ltea said:
mervyn":3s49ltea said:

I honestly think finishing above them is more important than individual results. As another poster has said what is just as important is the other 11 games we play as well as this one. Either team could be 6 points ahead of the other by the time we play them.

Incorrect. As things stand its a 'six pointer'. We gain 3 on them they drop 3. Doesnt apply to the other 11 games.

JannerinCardiff

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
♣️ SWAG Member
Jul 16, 2018
Cardiff
Balham_Green":16dcqige said:
JannerinCardiff":16dcqige said:
Ade the green":16dcqige said:
mervyn":16dcqige said:

Incorrect. As things stand its a 'six pointer'. We gain 3 on them they drop 3. Doesnt apply to the other 11 games.

So we lose 2-1 at home to them, but we finish 3rd and they finish 4th and they don’t get promoted via the play-offs. How important is that six pointer?? Not important at all, because we will start next season in League 1 and Exeter will remain in league 2. We will have the bragging rights, saying they bottled it (again).

I also said that when we play them we may be more or less points apart than we currently are.