45 years ago tonight | Page 4 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

45 years ago tonight

Aug 5, 2015
Yes thanks to Mr Little we know a lot about the Mariner transfer but very little about the Rafferty transfer. I think Waiters stuffed the Board up over Mariner and they got their own back over Rafferty. Why would you sell one of the most potent strike forces around at the same time when you know that one of them has clearly outgrown the club and was bound to leave anyway?

Green as Grass

♣️ North Devon Greens
✅ Evergreen
Jan 5, 2012
Barnstaple
Kentishgreen":8l3104uo said:
Yes thanks to Mr Little we know a lot about the Mariner transfer but very little about the Rafferty transfer. I think Waiters stuffed the Board up over Mariner and they got their own back over Rafferty. Why would you sell one of the most potent strike forces around at the same time when you know that one of them has clearly outgrown the club and was bound to leave anyway?
Agree with you about the Mariner transfer which took place in October 1976. However the Rafferty transfer took place nearly 6 months earlier at the end of the 75/76 season. The Rafferty transfer was a huge disappointment to me a large number of Argyle fans at the time and started a decline in Argyles fortunes which lasted for nearly a decade.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
Yep Billy was a cracking player plus we had a song for him. Poor old Mariner never did.

Lousy Pint

Jam First
Sep 23, 2005
Milano
Am I right in thinking we had two songs for Rafferty? As well as the famous 'Oh Billy Billy...', didn't we also sing the more simplistic 'Rafferteeee, Rafferteeee'? I know for many years after, while passing the sign for Rattery on the A38, I was fondly reminded of the latter tune (and often sang it if I was travelling alone).

I thought they were both great strikers for us, different styles though, so hard to compare. I do believe, however, that Billy probably taught Mariner a lot while they were both here. What a great season that was!!

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
Oh yeah, blimey forgot all about that one.

Which reminds me of 'Pat Dunne for Eire'. :greensmile:

Feb 4, 2020
Actually I ve just checked back to Feb 75..I had a season ticket..after the 'High' of Blackburn ..we then 1 1 with Charlton at HP....then lost Blackburn 2 5...then brilliantly clever freekick meant we lost to Malcolm Allison`s ..C Palace 0 1..then beat Southend to get back on track
Just as we need damn well now do at Salford