5 year plan | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

5 year plan

Graham Clark

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
🚑 Steve Hooper
Nov 18, 2018
The first test of whether we are truly on the path to sustainability won't be known until June 2022 because 2012/2022 will be the first full season where the commercial benefits of the grandstand will become apparent and there will be no distortion of the figures created by the additional expenditure to complete the infrastructure of the Club.

In the meantime we can only hope for a promotion this season to create a stable financial position in League 1 from which to properly deliver the sustainability that underpins the Club's 5-year plan.For that to be achieved not only have attendances got to be sustained or improved but commercial revenue too. Attendances will be largely dictated by on-field performance and commercial revenues will have to be continually driven higher.

For every 1,000 increase in average attendance the Club receive a net income of around £250,000 (£11 net income per ticket x 23 games) so the real challenge is to find other sources of income. A glance at Preston North End's recently published accounts (a Club I would say on a par with ourselves and now a well established Championship club) shows an average attendance of just over 14,000 and a turnover of £12.4m. Only 28% of that turnover was from ticket sales. 60% of the income was from EFL distributions and TV money (£7.5m). Most tellingly only £1m turnover was from commercial activities and none was from player sales. Frightening, their wage bill was £16m and hence they posted a significant loss underwritten by their off-shore owner Trevor Hemmings.

For the Club to achieve the sustainability they have studiously mapped out requires significant increases in commercial income but perhaps most importantly a vastly improved improvement in net transfer income. This is where the 'pillar' of the Academy is so important to the path towards sustainability. Simply we have to start producing youngsters that can be sold - yes it means being a 'selling club' but it's an imperative. We also have sign and improve players on extended contracts to sell on as part of that requirement. The Preston lesson expressed above demands it.

Since 2011 we have travelled a long way under the initial saving of the club and subsequent judicious management of it by James Brent right up to the virtual total acquisition by Simon Hallett in June last year. Off the field I genuinely feel we are in as good a position as we could possibly be. The emergent transparency and values have underpinned the feeling that we again unified and as a supporter I feel very much part of our Club. Coupled with the excellence of the Argyle Community Trust that is an unparalleled achievement. We are on our way - we've just got to get over the line with a promotion and preferably this season. That's the tricky bit!

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
Graham Clark":28qeomll said:
A glance at Preston North End's recently published accounts (a Club I would say on a par with ourselves and now a well established Championship club) shows an average attendance of just over 14,000 and a turnover of £12.4m. Only 28% of that turnover was from ticket sales. 60% of the income was from EFL distributions and TV money (£7.5m). Most tellingly only £1m turnover was from commercial activities and none was from player sales. Frightening, their wage bill was £16m and hence they posted a significant loss underwritten by their off-shore owner Trevor Hemmings.

:shock: Truly terrifying.

I don't know anything about PNE's Academy but assuming they haven't really got a production line because of their geography (lots of choice) we DO need ours to work to make those figures look silly. I feel that the appointment if Neil Dewsnip was so pivotal as to our future.

However, from what has been said, to jump up a category we need to empty a full time Doctor, several more coaches and have a couple of 4G pitches, so the investment has to continue which is a bit of a worry.

I fully appreciate the amount of money the Hallett have invested and here's hoping the five year plan works out.

Apr 9, 2011
gaspargomez":1lnd2hfb said:
It might be possible to have a 5-year plan based on gearing up club finances and infrastructure.

However, its not possible to have a plan which involves playing in a particular league within 5 years because success on the pitch is very difficult to predict.

Personally, I think that being a top 6 League One club is realistic in the medium term. If that leads to promotion, it would be very challenging for Argyle to remain sustainable in the modern Championship unless they sell some players for big money OR can substantially increase attendances.

I like the fact that the club and thinking along these lines though.
Agree 100% the Championship as it is now is light years away from what it was when we were there

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
The club also announced a five year plan back in 2010 with the target of Premier League football, other targets were a new grandstand, a new pitch, a new training complex with 20 minutes travel of Home Park, a core squad of players of 23 plus four development players (at the time we had 29 players), rebuild the youth programme and expand the scouting network plus work with the Council regarding the Central Park Action Plan.

This latest five year plan is more realistic and aims for the Championship, boost commercial activities, make the Academy more effective and providing a better matchday experience for the fans with entertaining football. It's good forward planning that is achievable and realistic.
The key point is earning income from the grandstand through functions, concerts and corporate bookings, although I do think the club has focused too much on corporate this season and not so much on the ordinary bread and butter fan but with a new grandstand to fill out seven days a week that is understandable.

Another concern is the future of Ryan Lowe? Does the club DNA of entertaining football and positivitey rely too much on him? If he does get us promoted this season that would be back to back promotions and his stock will be high, if we have a good start in League One next season he could be poached when sacking season starts in October, a northern Championship club like Stoke, Blackburn or Wigan might like some of his gold dust, if Lowe leaves the coaching staff will all depart as well and maybe Dewsnip which will affect the Academy.
What happens to the five year plan then? Will the new manager want to play the same style of football?
I suppose it's a nice potential problem to have.

Sep 6, 2006
PL2 3DQ":6fxsy0w7 said:
The club also announced a five year plan back in 2010 with the target of Premier League football, other targets were a new grandstand, a new pitch, a new training complex with 20 minutes travel of Home Park, a core squad of players of 23 plus four development players (at the time we had 29 players), rebuild the youth programme and expand the scouting network plus work with the Council regarding the Central Park Action Plan.

This latest five year plan is more realistic and aims for the Championship, boost commercial activities, make the Academy more effective and providing a better matchday experience for the fans with entertaining football. It's good forward planning that is achievable and realistic.
The key point is earning income from the grandstand through functions, concerts and corporate bookings, although I do think the club has focused too much on corporate this season and not so much on the ordinary bread and butter fan but with a new grandstand to fill out seven days a week that is understandable.

Another concern is the future of Ryan Lowe? Does the club DNA of entertaining football and positivitey rely too much on him? If he does get us promoted this season that would be back to back promotions and his stock will be high, if we have a good start in League One next season he could be poached when sacking season starts in October, a northern Championship club like Stoke, Blackburn or Wigan might like some of his gold dust, if Lowe leaves the coaching staff will all depart as well and maybe Dewsnip which will affect the Academy.
What happens to the five year plan then? Will the new manager want to play the same style of football?

I would imagine it would be integral to the plan to appoint a new manager with the same philosophy .

Stuart House

🍌 Bomber Harris.
Jan 8, 2006
Bristol
I do love a good five year plan!

How many have we had over the years?

They always say the right things, and each one is better and move convincing than the last one.

But here we are still in league two.

Don't get me wrong, as always i hope the vision is successful. But as with everything actions speaking louder than words.

So far so good with this one, but lets see where we end up before getting too excited.

PL2 3DQ":6hxu1h6u said:

I have a feeling that Dewsnip would stay here, he seems to love it down here and hopefully Lowe/Schuey will be here for atleast another 18months. He has a very important role to develop this football club.

When we appointed Lowe I said that its a great ambitious move, but we need to constantly have a mini list of 2/3 managers who could carry on with this new 'DNA' of Argyle if Lowe was tempted away by a championship club.

May 27, 2019
EXETER/OWLERTON
I think Ryan Lowe will be here for the next year at least. If and when we get promoted this season, he would have to have us doing well in L1 to interest many Championship clubs. Can’t think of which club he might end up at :whistle:

Mark Pedlar

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Jul 28, 2010
Devongreenowl":1x4vgmbq said:
I think Ryan Lowe will be here for the next year at least. If and when we get promoted this season, he would have to have us doing well in L1 to interest many Championship clubs. Can’t think of which club he might end up at :whistle:

Why would he leave a reasonably well run club for a badly run one?

May 27, 2019
EXETER/OWLERTON
Mark Pedlar":188syrk2 said:
Devongreenowl":188syrk2 said:

Why would he leave a reasonably well run club for a badly run one?

If you have to ask me that Mark, I can’t help you.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
Stuart House":cx6nx8pu said:
I do love a good five year plan!

How many have we had over the years?

They always say the right things, and each one is better and move convincing than the last one.

But here we are still in league two.

Don't get me wrong, as always i hope the vision is successful. But as with everything actions speaking louder than words.

So far so good with this one, but lets see where we end up before getting too excited.

That's my take as well. Words are good, deeds are better. Here's hoping. :scarf:

May 16, 2016
A reasonable 5 Year Plan is better than a Pie in the Sky or no Plan at all. At least they're offering up a Vision and Goals to the Club and Support.

It's good to see it , it may not be achieved but it's a start. I cant remember anything similar from the previous Regime other than talk of being Sustainable.