Adams favourites.... | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Adams favourites....

Oct 22, 2009
He's a poor player coming forward. Offers nothing and usually just panics and passes back. But give him credit defensively today looked very solid. Still nowhere near as good as Oscar though

May 16, 2016
Slightly off topic. I saw a clip on tv of Harry Redknapp talking about loan players. He said that in his experience, some parent clubs have clauses in the loan where if you are paying the guys wages, he has to start every game or you pay double !

That might explain why sometimes we've queried why the Manager has favoured one over another. We don't know the background. A bit like the Ness few seconds yesterday.

Jul 3, 2013
If yo could have a criss between Miller and Threlkeld then you would have a top player, however one can't defend very well as his positional play is awfull and the other is an old tradition right back in the age when people want to to see them attack. It is not a coincidence that our goals conceded has been far less in games miller has played than hasn't.

Jul 3, 2013
nick_PASTIE":2xq1nebp said:
He was specifically asked about Miller coming in for Oskar and he gave a diplomatic answer with a positive spin, I wouldn't expect anything different and it reflected the solid game he had. He's clearly back up for Oskar but it bodes well that he could have a solid game against tough opposition and I think Adams was right to praise him.

Back up for a player who will play more games than oscar at right back this season, juat like last.

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
Stiffler":2obyitb8 said:
If yo could have a criss between Miller and Threlkeld then you would have a top player, however one can't defend very well as his positional play is awfull and the other is an old tradition right back in the age when people want to to see them attack. It is not a coincidence that our goals conceded has been far less in games miller has played than hasn't.
Probably better to compare the win:draw:lose ratios.

G

Greenskin

themightykeithfear":o64jmse2 said:
Broc's Pilgrimage":o64jmse2 said:
What you heard on radio was Derek responding to interviewer who mentioned miller. That said he did have a solid game yesterday and I give him due for that, as I do always hold my breath a little when he gets on the ball.

There is a tendency for some posters on here to look for something when its not there eg Frank Spencer last year. Don't forget last season when he cost us games, he was embarrassed by so many left sided attacking players it was untrue, and that was league 2 ! Having said that if he has somehow transformed into a decent footballer then fair play, just hope DA doesn't persist with him when he's clearly not good enough as he has does on occasions.

On the positive side sort this position out and get a goalscorer and we might just have a damn good football team !

If anyone was embarrassed in the right back position last season it was Threkeld, whose popularity seems to disguise the fact that he was skinned rather badly in some matches when Miller was injured. Miller is a better defender and Argyle's defensive record would indicate that he couldn't have been that much of a liability. Oscar is undoubtedly better on the ball as befits a midfield player-that is his natural position and far better to keep him as such rather than messing him about in a position that doesn't really suit.

Alan Turing

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Jul 24, 2010
Mutley
This, with bells on.

Keepitgreen

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
♣️ PACSA Member
♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🚑 Steve Hooper
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
May 12, 2008
Plymouth
At the end of the day Derek Adams will choose a team that he thinks can do the job (in the league anyway). First and foremost for any manager is winning games and keeping their job.

P

Plympton Stats

driscollberg":316968rd said:
I heard over the radio he had special praise for Gary Miller....

Granted... He he had a steady game at most.... But every opportunity Charlton had was coming from there.... If DA Honestly believes he is better than threkeld, then I'm afraid he s a bit blinded by his favourites!! He s never hesitated to drop others, so why not him.

If he had pulled out a performance like Sawyer did today then fair enough, but seriously.....if we strengthen that area of our squad we would have an amazing defence.

Special praise all the players if it helps us win. .. which should have been all of them today.

Love the goal music Too!!

Are you trying to claim Miller has never been dropped? if you are? its complete and utter nonsense and if you think shutting down one of the best wingers in the league for an entire game despite supposedly being our 'weaker' Right Back, you either weren't at the match or your just a Gaz Miller Troll like a good few others.

P

Plympton Stats

Wow you actually decided to start a thread about one of our players having shut out one of the top three wingers in the league and because you dislike him (last season's scapegoat) you title it 'Adams Favourites'... or did you mean FAVOURITE?
Has obviously worked hard post and pre season looking fitter already, I'd say fortunately his attitude to our club is far better than many show him as an honest pro. Seems to come in for a lot of flak? Warranted I wondered? Seems NOT!
I scoured last seasons matches and checked and it would seem not only IS he our BEST Right Back but is better than the unwarranted fan favourite Oscar. End of the day people only see what they want to, but stats don't lie.

Oscar T - Played 41: - W-21 L-13 D-7 GC-39 C/S 16
............................(51%)(32%)(17%) (95%) (39%)
When @ RB..............(55%) (27%)(16%)(94%) (39%)

Gaz M - Played 36: - W-21 L-9 D-6 GC-36 C/S 12
...........................(58%)(25%)(17%)(100%) (33%)

From what I seen last season and others have stated, we are more solid at the back with Gaz as his defending and positioning is far better. Maybe people prefer Oscars slide tackles which seem last gasp? Yes Oscar also might make more runs forward and a lot of fans mention this too, but when you look at the hard facts, his runs are pointless, his crossing is poor. People talk as if we have Roberto Carlos @ RB. Last season in 41 Games Oscar Scored 2 and made 2, that's 0.05% over a season in both cases, that's a very poor return. Nowhere near deserving of the fan praise and FAVOURITISM he seems to attract. As you will gather from the above, his percentages ARE lower even with a FIVE match Advantage, he also had the privilege of playing 17 or so matches the season before Miller arrived, so a guy who played his 1st season for us and seemed to do a pretty decent job AND contributed to our ascension to League One gets a heck of a load of unwarranted stick!

I expect the 'Gary hater's to come out and attempt to debunk these stats, but they are the black and white facts.

Enjoy.

Edited to align percentages.

Aug 17, 2011
Kings Tamerton
Plympton Stats":1ctv5w6t said:
Wow you actually decided to start a thread about one of our players having shut out one of the top three wingers in the league and because you dislike him (last season's scapegoat) you title it 'Adams Favourites'... or did you mean FAVOURITE?
Has obviously worked hard post and pre season looking fitter already, I'd say fortunately his attitude to our club is far better than many show him as an honest pro. Seems to come in for a lot of flak? Warranted I wondered? Seems NOT!
I scoured last seasons matches and checked and it would seem not only IS he our BEST Right Back but is better than the unwarranted fan favourite Oscar. End of the day people only see what they want to, but stats don't lie.

Oscar T - Played 41: - W-21 L-13 D-7 GC-39 C/S 16
............................(51%)(32%)(17%) (95%) (39%)
When @ RB..............(55%) (27%)(16%)(94%) (39%)

Gaz M - Played 36: - W-21 L-9 D-6 GC-36 C/S 12
...........................(58%)(25%)(17%)(100%) (33%)

From what I seen last season and others have stated, we are more solid at the back with Gaz as his defending and positioning is far better. Maybe people prefer Oscars slide tackles which seem last gasp? Yes Oscar also might make more runs forward and a lot of fans mention this too, but when you look at the hard facts, his runs are pointless, his crossing is poor. People talk as if we have Roberto Carlos @ RB. Last season in 41 Games Oscar Scored 2 and made 2, that's 0.05% over a season in both cases, that's a very poor return. Nowhere near deserving of the fan praise and FAVOURITISM he seems to attract. As you will gather from the above, his percentages ARE lower even with a FIVE match Advantage, he also had the privilege of playing 17 or so matches the season before Miller arrived, so a guy who played his 1st season for us and seemed to do a pretty decent job AND contributed to our ascension to League One gets a heck of a load of unwarranted stick!

I expect the 'Gary hater's to come out and attempt to debunk these stats, but they are the black and white facts.

Enjoy.

Edited to align percentages.

Welcome to PASOTI Gary.

Jul 3, 2013
Said it all last season, Miller is a right back, Oscar isn't and will more than likely fill a few different positions as the season goes on.

Jan 3, 2013
Greenskin":6s39c0v2 said:
themightykeithfear":6s39c0v2 said:
Broc's Pilgrimage":6s39c0v2 said:
What you heard on radio was Derek responding to interviewer who mentioned miller. That said he did have a solid game yesterday and I give him due for that, as I do always hold my breath a little when he gets on the ball.

There is a tendency for some posters on here to look for something when its not there eg Frank Spencer last year. Don't forget last season when he cost us games, he was embarrassed by so many left sided attacking players it was untrue, and that was league 2 ! Having said that if he has somehow transformed into a decent footballer then fair play, just hope DA doesn't persist with him when he's clearly not good enough as he has does on occasions.

On the positive side sort this position out and get a goalscorer and we might just have a damn good football team !

If anyone was embarrassed in the right back position last season it was Threkeld, whose popularity seems to disguise the fact that he was skinned rather badly in some matches when Miller was injured. Miller is a better defender and Argyle's defensive record would indicate that he couldn't have been that much of a liability. Oscar is undoubtedly better on the ball as befits a midfield player-that is his natural position and far better to keep him as such rather than messing him about in a position that doesn't really suit.
Oscar is not a midfielder he's a full back....he told us himself at the senior greens!