AEG | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

AEG

Jun 16, 2006
Peter_Jones":3ayjhj03 said:
Stuart_C":3ayjhj03 said:
pontypoolgreen":3ayjhj03 said:
Pilgrim61":3ayjhj03 said:
FACT

I understand from a very good source that AEG are still actively involved in discussions and that senior representatives have been in Plymouth and are not put off by the WC bid failing.

Philip Anschutz is mega loaded and is a known associate of Joe Plumeri.

CONJECTURE

I wonder whether this interest could extend beyond the ground? After all they are major shareholders of Hammarby IF in Sweden (who play in green and white!) who have a relatively small (15,000), modern stadium. A regional football club in England would seem to sit with their portfolio.

Let's hope you're right, stadium finished and our money problems over.

Pay the staff first though.
I had wondered if the board could be playing a game of chicken with PCC to get their plans for Central Park through.

Their need for Ridsdale to be on board would suggest this is highly unlikely and if it was true would leave a nastier taste in the mouth that they involved peoples' livelihoods.

That's an interpretation I've heard voiced, too.

Could they be quite that cynical?
It is pretty much their last chance of salvaging their investment, so I wouldn't put anything past them.

They alienated PCC who have then adopted a polarised philospohy for Central Park forgetting their orignal AAP. If the Courts give a 28 day adjournment tomorrow, both sides needed "their heads knocking together" to start talking about a compromise in line with the AAP.

tonycholwell

R.I.P
Jun 9, 2006
Somerset
FordGreen":jy81bf3i said:
I would suggest Bristol has as much if not more of a connection to the US as Plymouth - slave trade, SS Great Britain et al. 8)

Certainly from the mid 17century Bristol and Liverpool were the 2 pre eminent ports on the west coast of England, in line with Plymouths demise.

A

Anonymous

I think at the last count there are in the region of 25 Plymouth's in the USA ranging from villages up to counties.

Apr 15, 2008
London
greengenes":1ffjdmch said:
Always wondered why the Americans have never took a bigger interest in us .

Plymouth Rock and The Mayflower etc . Makes sense.

In theory they're interested in all that. In practice, American business is more about the future or recent past.

Mar 9, 2009
TinTin":nhsqp9ss said:
leep33":nhsqp9ss said:
If AEG are going to invest in us then would they wipe out our debts and be involved in a full takeover?

Don't hold your breath about AEG :(

Keep the Faith :D

Oh TinTin - you were the one breaking the news about their naming rights etc. Did they do a runner after WC bid failure?

CarolinaGreen

🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸
Jun 10, 2006
Raleigh, North Carolina
There is NO money to made for Argyle over here. Just like there was never any money to be made from Japan. Pipe dreams. The only way an external investor will hope to get a return from investment is through promotion to the Premiership.

Feb 25, 2008
I live in the US. Maybe I can give some insights into the problems with the whole Mayflower link thingy.

If the theory is 1) market Argyle in America with lots of Mayflower logos etc --> 2) get some American fans --> 3) sell lots of shirts and make lots of wonga, well, I wouldn't bank on it.

First, we'd have to be in the Prem first. No American "soahccer" fans know that "soahccer" exists outside of the "Prr-MERE" league so they wouldn't know what to make of it. Second, they all support only the big 4 because that's who they see on TV. So until our big mayflower logo is on TV week in week out there'll be no recognition.

Second, to an American there are actually only 3 cities in England: downtown London, suburban London, and Scotland. Maybe if you have a conversation about the Prr-MERE league they'll remember that London has some suburbs, like Manchester and Liverpool, that are bigger than the other suburbs, but that's about it. A few months ago I told some friends that I was coming home for a wedding, to which they said "in the city?". It was in Torquay, so I was puzzled which city they meant, then I twigged that they meant London because it hadn't occurred to them that places exist outside of London. It generally doesn't.

To be fair, our own media think in the same way so you can't blame them :)

Third, their understanding of history is quite different to that of the rest of the world. Most Americans trace the origin of their country to 1776, not to 1620. In their version, there is no mention of how all these white Caucasians got there or what happened to the actual natives, just that in 1776 "England" tried to invade and America asserted its independence, and that was how the USA was born. They know that "England" is now one of their closest allies and they like us for that but they don't really know why.

Some may know something about Plymouth Rock but it takes a 15-minute conversation to link Plymouth Massachussetts to Plymouth London. I have generally given up trying to answer the question of where in England I am from.

Many great things about America: nice friendly people, lots of opportunities, entrepreneurial spirit, great cities to visit etc. As for knowledge of the rest of the world - forget it!

Jun 28, 2006
Plymouth
smithy1902":32nn14p4 said:
I live in the US. Maybe I can give some insights into the problems with the whole Mayflower link thingy.

If the theory is 1) market Argyle in America with lots of Mayflower logos etc --> 2) get some American fans --> 3) sell lots of shirts and make lots of wonga, well, I wouldn't bank on it.

First, we'd have to be in the Prem first. No American "soahccer" fans know that "soahccer" exists outside of the "Prr-MERE" league so they wouldn't know what to make of it. Second, they all support only the big 4 because that's who they see on TV. So until our big mayflower logo is on TV week in week out there'll be no recognition.

Second, to an American there are actually only 3 cities in England: downtown London, suburban London, and Scotland. Maybe if you have a conversation about the Prr-MERE league they'll remember that London has some suburbs, like Manchester and Liverpool, that are bigger than the other suburbs, but that's about it. A few months ago I told some friends that I was coming home for a wedding, to which they said "in the city?". It was in Torquay, so I was puzzled which city they meant, then I twigged that they meant London because it hadn't occurred to them that places exist outside of London. It generally doesn't.

To be fair, our own media think in the same way so you can't blame them :)

Third, their understanding of history is quite different to that of the rest of the world. Most Americans trace the origin of their country to 1776, not to 1620. In their version, there is no mention of how all these white Caucasians got there or what happened to the actual natives, just that in 1776 "England" tried to invade and America asserted its independence, and that was how the USA was born. They know that "England" is now one of their closest allies and they like us for that but they don't really know why.

Some may know something about Plymouth Rock but it takes a 15-minute conversation to link Plymouth Massachussetts to Plymouth London. I have generally given up trying to answer the question of where in England I am from.

Many great things about America: nice friendly people, lots of opportunities, entrepreneurial spirit, great cities to visit etc. As for knowledge of the rest of the world - forget it!

Top post.
I had always been suspicious of any claimed potential market for us in the states for the same reasons.

For us soppy green tints, i guess we felt that anyone could develop a love of the good ship pilgrim, especially if their nations inception had such strong links to our own.