AFC Wimbledon match thread | Page 22 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

AFC Wimbledon match thread

May 8, 2011
Cobi Budge":11q42lew said:
Whilst we're conceding goals, we aren't exactly being torn open and I'm not sure we look overly exposed. I think we're more conceding goals in relation to collective and individual errors. For that reason I'm not worried about the system itself. If we can stamp out errors I think we'll be absolutely fine. We're gifting goals rather than them being a result of our opponents being better than us, which is reassuring in a way. Also, if we'd have been offered 4 points from our opening two games (with a win against QPR thrown in) I think we'd all have taken that gladly.

I suppose the unanswered question is what will end first, Argyle scoring spectacular ‘worldly’ goals or conceding soft goals from individual errors.

Mar 14, 2009
12 or so months on from when Lowe started didn’t we think this was what he would bring to Argyle.

Games that would be a goal fest. That they would be entertaining.

Whether it continues we will have to see. Not every goal we have scored has been a worldly. I can think of some great team goals. The QPR Nouble volley. The Watts goal at Leyton Orient.

What will determine whether Lowe is a success at Argyle from this point onwards is whether he can make us concede less than we score. It doesn’t have to be clean sheets, but it can’t be two’s and three goals conceded every week.

What l will say is sometimes you have to remember we support a lower league club. We simply can’t win every week. That doesn’t mean we have to accept mediocrity but be realistic. Our team goes out to score goals and win matches. It might be frustrating when you lose in the manner of Leyton Orient but lm loving the fact we give it a go. It’s great, entertaining football.

Jul 12, 2016
monkeywrench":10xptvze said:
Some people are never happy unless they are moaning.
If you are happy with us conceding soft goals then that's your choice.I was merely stating that IMO with our current defence anybody expecting a top 10 finish is in cloud cuckoo land.
I get entertained when we score 4 goals not when we concede 4.

Tugboat

Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 24, 2007
It is entertaining and I would always favour a Lowe/Klopp approach to a match than Adams/Mourinho style BUT whilst I understand we are likely to be under pressure at the back, some of the mistakes were so so easily avoidable.

We must also change our style if we get pinned in or pressed high. We did late in the game (more forced than optional) but we need to counter consistent pressure from teams that pressure us from the back.

GreenThing

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 13, 2003
Plymouth
We didn’t concede any against Blackpool it wasn’t the case that the defence wasn’t tested, on the contrary, we were under pressure for most of the second half. Does this mean that the defence is great? No, but it shows that it can do the job and the ability is there.

Jun 27, 2019
People remember the great Peter Shilton team as being a joy to watch but defensively weak. They didn't achieve what they should have done because they weren't able to keep the ball out at the other end.

That should serve as a cautionary tale for everyone playing down our defensive frailties.

Aug 5, 2016
It is amusing to see the fickleness of football supporters in motion. Absolutely certain of one thing one minute, but can change opinion in a few matches and be posting the opposite with absolute conviction.

About 95% of this site was fully supportive that Mike Cooper HAD to be #1. He WAS good enough, his time had come. Palmer was NOT our player, and we didn't NEED him any more. Cooper was ready, Cooper's time had come and he has to start playing.

It was only myself and one or two others pointing put that Cooper has only had a handful of matches at competitive professional level and his ability to cope week in week out in League One is quite unknown. No-one could be confident he was ready for anything, but poster after poster said he was ready.

Fast forward 3 games (and Cooper being MOM in one of them) and now Lowe is an idiot and short sighted for not getting Palmer back! I remember one poster being of the strong conviction we should not let Palmer go elsewhere, but other than that the majority of posters desperately wanted Cooper to get the nod.

Please can everyone remember that before getting on either Lowe or the young lad's back.

Aug 28, 2015
argyle.life
Pretty much everyone's thoughts summed up here! It was a bit of a rollercoaster.

Plymouth Argyle show their two faces against Wimbledon

Argyle showed incredible character to snatch a draw, and nearly win the game, having been 4-2 down with 15 minutes to play. The confidence in this team that they can outscore any opponent will surely serve them well as the season progresses. Yet, there is a sense that Argyle could be much more successful this season if a sufficient balance can be found.

Read more > Argyle.Life

I like RL’s post match response in a BBC interview. He says he’s not worried, because most of our conceded goals are down to individual errors which can be coached out of players in future. We’re not losing many goals because our wings or centre are being torn apart by opposition. I think he’s right.

It also re-enforces my view that too many on here criticise individual players as though they are the finished article with no room for improvement. Imagine being told in your workplace that you are now as competent as you will ever be, and you will never get better regardless of future training and experience. I also agree with his statement that where we made the same mistakes last season we could get away with it. League 1 standards are too high to allow us to repeat those mistakes.

Sep 20, 2005
Stockholm
Also shows a great finish for their second. Not sure Cooper can really be blamed. Certainly didn't "throw it in" as someone said on this thread.

Sep 6, 2006
WoodsyGreen":qyunn16f said:
Devongreenowl":qyunn16f said:
WoodsyGreen":qyunn16f said:
We should be careful of hailing Canavan as the answer to our defensive issues. Yes he seemed to shore up the backline when he came on, and yes he scored, but Wimbledon were 4-2 up when he came on and sitting back on their lead.

That said, it'll be a big surprise if he isn't in the team on Saturday. Wootton, as I've been saying almost since we signed him, needs to be put out to pasture.

I think you’ll find they were 3-2 up when he came on and they scored 3 minutes later unless I’m mistaken Woodsy.

Yep, right you are.

I think my basic point still holds, though, that Wimbledon sat back after their fourth, giving our Keystone Cops less to do.

Doesnt make sense as we were level with more than 10 minutes to go anyway. So were they still sitting back? However what did Wotton get wrong in this game?