Age and football interest | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Age and football interest

Sep 6, 2006
PL2 3DQ":25zs63gq said:
I suspect Argyle and football in general might lose some fans actually attending games once the Covid nightmare is over mainly because the usual football routine has completely stopped and new routines found.

The habit and ritual of attending games could be over for some fans once we return to normal life.

I doubt that very much though there may be initial reservations based on safety. I suspect crowds will be bigger as people appreciate the freedom and the occasion they previously took for granted.

Feb 8, 2005
As always, attendances will be dependent on the fortunes of the football club.

The more successful the club is, the greater the crowd that will want to see them play, and vice versa.

Twas ever such and will be again, as always.

Dec 30, 2020
Balham_Green":3tlq4wxs said:
greenpilled":3tlq4wxs said:
Martin_Brock":3tlq4wxs said:
I've been reading the Football Passport thread with interest, both to learn more about the mix of supporters on here (my first Argyle match was in 1988) but also in context of some market research I've been doing. That seems to show that interest in football among those aged 18+ is like a bell-shaped curve, so those aged 18-24 and 60+ have lower interest, with those in mid-age having highest interest. Do people think that is a reflect of Argyle's support, and why/why not? Particularly on the lower age end of the scale. Without wanting to sound like an old git, I could only hypothesize that it was down to people having more options of things to do these days so football has to work harder to get attention vs. computer games, for example, or is it a financial factor? Argyle last season cost £9 if under 18 but £23 once you hit 18, so a big difference if on lower income.

Realise I'm rambling but it'd be interesting to know thoughts of others.

M

I think evidence shows that the number of kids playing football has declined over the past decade (even allowing for the fact that the number of girls playing has increased quite sharply).

There's obviously competition from social media, e-sports etc but kids these days are also subject to much greater academic pressure. They're tested a lot more, and good grades and some form of further/higher education are more important to their life chances. Today's young people also drink, smoke and take drugs less frequently than those now in their 30s and 40s did at the same age. Free time and recreation are more limited, which means there's less opportunity to take up pastimes like playing/watching football.

In terms of the old folks, football attendances troughed in the 70s and 80s, before rising after Italia 90 and the advent of the Premier League brought in a more affluent fan-consumer.

So rather than a result of life circumstances, it maybe that the oldest and youngest generations simply aren't as into football as those in the middle, and that this will continue as they shift from one stage of life to the next.

Think you made a lot of that up didnt you?

Apologies Balham Green - I'm not sure I follow? Obviously, I don't have a definitive answer as to whether these phenomena are responsible for weaker interest in football amongst the oldest and youngest demographics. So in that sense, I am just speculating, or 'making it up' as you put it - but so is everyone. There isn't really a right or wrong answer, it's a matter of opinion.

Sep 6, 2006
greenpilled":14zadfat said:
Balham_Green":14zadfat said:
greenpilled":14zadfat said:
Martin_Brock":14zadfat said:
I've been reading the Football Passport thread with interest, both to learn more about the mix of supporters on here (my first Argyle match was in 1988) but also in context of some market research I've been doing. That seems to show that interest in football among those aged 18+ is like a bell-shaped curve, so those aged 18-24 and 60+ have lower interest, with those in mid-age having highest interest. Do people think that is a reflect of Argyle's support, and why/why not? Particularly on the lower age end of the scale. Without wanting to sound like an old git, I could only hypothesize that it was down to people having more options of things to do these days so football has to work harder to get attention vs. computer games, for example, or is it a financial factor? Argyle last season cost £9 if under 18 but £23 once you hit 18, so a big difference if on lower income.

Realise I'm rambling but it'd be interesting to know thoughts of others.

M

I think evidence shows that the number of kids playing football has declined over the past decade (even allowing for the fact that the number of girls playing has increased quite sharply).

There's obviously competition from social media, e-sports etc but kids these days are also subject to much greater academic pressure. They're tested a lot more, and good grades and some form of further/higher education are more important to their life chances. Today's young people also drink, smoke and take drugs less frequently than those now in their 30s and 40s did at the same age. Free time and recreation are more limited, which means there's less opportunity to take up pastimes like playing/watching football.

In terms of the old folks, football attendances troughed in the 70s and 80s, before rising after Italia 90 and the advent of the Premier League brought in a more affluent fan-consumer.

So rather than a result of life circumstances, it maybe that the oldest and youngest generations simply aren't as into football as those in the middle, and that this will continue as they shift from one stage of life to the next.

Think you made a lot of that up didnt you?

Apologies Balham Green - I'm not sure I follow? Obviously, I don't have a definitive answer as to whether these phenomena are responsible for weaker interest in football amongst the oldest and youngest demographics. So in that sense, I am just speculating, or 'making it up' as you put it - but so is everyone. There isn't really a right or wrong answer, it's a matter of opinion.

Do you have evidence about the phenomena even or that less kids are playing football? As regard to less time for playing football I believe thats nonsense but there is no doubt a lot of time is now wasted in front of computer screens.