Anoraks 41 - What a player he was! | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Anoraks 41 - What a player he was!

Bovey Green lady

🚑 Steve Hooper
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 29, 2019
Sainghin Green":3ohvqxdw said:
All correct so far!

How about the Likely Lads?
The only Terry I can think of was Terry Dann, who was around that era. Have not found a "Bob" though.
Would the "Gordon" be Gordon Fincham?
This goes back to when I first started supporting Argyle, as a child, so the old memory may be faulty!

Jan 11, 2016
Yes - Terry Dann fits the bill, as does Terry Stacey. Gordon Fincham is also correct. I think we must be of about the same generation - my first full Argyle season was 58-59!

How about the Johnny Williams landmark moments?

Bovey Green lady

🚑 Steve Hooper
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 29, 2019
Is the missing Likely Lad goalkeeper Bob Wyllie? That really does go back to my very early Argyle games . I tend to remember the Argyle keepers after Bill Shortt as Les Major and Geoff Barnsley, but think Wyllie may have been in a "Johnny Williams Team"?
I will go back to your original post and see if I can think of the "Magic Moments"
My first season was 1955/56---which makes me pretty ancient! (Well, just inside the coronavirus high risk age group!)

Jan 4, 2005
NEWQUAY
Bovey-Green lady":3apkumpv said:
Rex Tilley?

That is the christian name which fixed for me. I cannot recall recall any other Argyle player with it. So it dates the player back to the early 50'S. Tilley spent circa 5 seasons with Argyle just after the Coronation

Bovey Green lady

🚑 Steve Hooper
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 29, 2019
Quintrell_Green":3t3r09xr said:
Bovey-Green lady":3t3r09xr said:
Rex Tilley?

That is the christian name which fixed for me. I cannot recall recall any other Argyle player with it. So it dates the player back to the early 50'S. Tilley spent circa 5 seasons with Argyle just after the Coronation
I remember him as a redhead, who came from my home county of Wiltshire, and was what in those far off days we called a half back!

Jan 4, 2005
NEWQUAY
Sainghin Green":t8er2qls said:
Bob Wyllie is correct!

Keep looking for those landmark moments!

There was not much of an overlap because Wylie came in 1958 and Tilley left for Swindon in 58? Wylie never played in the first XI in 57/58 season when Tilley played. If you move on to the 58/59 season, Wylie actually played only 5 League games in goal and Tilley had moved on, so they could not have actually played together IMHO?

memory man

✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Nov 28, 2011
Romsey
Quintrell_Green":3jv6rko6 said:
Sainghin Green":3jv6rko6 said:
Bob Wyllie is correct!

There was not much of an overlap because Wylie came in 1958 and Tilley left for Swindon in 58? Wylie never played in the first XI in 57/58 season when Tilley played. If you move on to the 58/59 season, Wylie actually played only 5 League games in goal and Tilley had moved on, so they could not have actually played together IMHO?
You are correct. Tilley wanted to return to Wiltshire and he signed for Swindon in the summer of 1958. He was actually christened Herbert Rex. Wyllie signed in that same summer but did not make his debut until 1959.

Jan 11, 2016
I don't think there's any suggestion that Rex Tilley and Bob Wyllie played together - as you can imagine the research here was largely Greens on Screen driven and all the players whose clues are provided come from the GoS team mates list for Johnny Williams.

How about these career landmarks before 53 clues are offered!

Jan 4, 2005
NEWQUAY
Sainghin Green":1lrbi79v said:
I don't think there's any suggestion that Rex Tilley and Bob Wyllie played together - as you can imagine the research here was largely Greens on Screen driven and all the players whose clues are provided come from the GoS team mates list for Johnny Williams.

How about these career landmarks before 53 clues are offered!

The clues you offered include the line 'He played with TRex' What exactly are you saying he played, keyboard, sax or football?

Bovey Green lady

🚑 Steve Hooper
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 29, 2019
Sainghin Green":ddhjddx3 said:
Bob Wyllie is correct!

Trouble is, that requires knowledge of the "modern" game, which I don't really have!

Jan 11, 2016
That's right, Vampires 11 - his first goal was at Anfield as Argyle lost 1-4 on October 1 1955, and his last was at Home Park as Argyle beat Mancester City 1-0 in Nov 1965.

Sorry for the lack of precision, Quintrell Green - if I remember rightly Johnny wanted to have a go on the drums but Marc Bolan said it was the spoons or no gig!