Anoraks 59 - Now that's what I call Argyle trivia! | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Anoraks 59 - Now that's what I call Argyle trivia!

Jan 11, 2016
Just to confirm that this was indeed about the number of times teams have provided Argyle with their opponents on the first day of the League season.

Did anybody else out there see the 0-1 at Bury in August 1966? - it was a lovely sunny day, spirits were high after the World Cup win but Argyle were grim and nobody bought me fish and chips afterwards!

memory man

✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Nov 28, 2011
Romsey
Sainghin Green":1idfscbl said:
The 'Seasiders' are Southend and the 'Riversiders' are Fulham.
I always thought Fulham were the Cottagers. PS will respond to email today)

Jan 11, 2016
Memory man is quite right of course - Fulham are the 'Cottagers' because of their Craven Cottage ground. I thought using 'Cottagers' in the question would point people in the right direction too quickly and that the Greens on Screen beaver brigade would get it through 'shortcut opposition' in no time at all. As it turned out this was a slow burner and needed the first day scorer clues so perhaps 'Cottagers' would have been better after all! Point taken!

These nicknames are a funny business - are they registered, are they official - when are they used - if ever? On the badge in the seventies I seem to remember but have you ever heard anyone say 'Come on you Pilgrims' - it's not quite in the same league as 'Come on Plymouth' but it would still be a bit of a give-away that there was an occasional fan in the ground.

Anyway it's COYG tonight and I've got a funny feeling there will be at least a point for Argyle!

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
oddball":100d5876 said:
Graham
I remember the day well....IJN...bought us all fish and chips....

I did and always remember somebody asked for pepper with his chips. :lol: