Any news on incoming | Page 7 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Any news on incoming

Jul 29, 2010
Previous panic buys being?...

NB - don't include signings that just didn't work out and be mindful that Ryan Donaldson was an early signing in our promotion summer and David Fox was a late one

An early signing doesn't automatically mean a good signing and a late signing doesn't automatically mean a bad one. In the January window especially some of the best players are the ones club don't want to let go, or they need a replacement first, or they're waiting on a move themselves before our deal can go through.

We tied Blissett and Sokolik up nice and early last year...we're shipping them out this year.

Toums even came after the window closed and we wanted to keep him.

Timing within the month means nothing. All we need, as G'n'R would say, is a little patience.

Tugboat

Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 24, 2007
X Isle":1sf1f4i5 said:

NB - don't include signings that just didn't work out and be mindful that Ryan Donaldson was an early signing in our promotion summer and David Fox was a late one

An early signing doesn't automatically mean a good signing and a late signing doesn't automatically mean a bad one. In the January window especially some of the best players are the ones club don't want to let go, or they need a replacement first, or they're waiting on a move themselves before our deal can go through.

We tied Blissett and Sokolik up nice and early last year...we're shipping them out this year.

Timing within the month means nothing. All we need, as G'n'R would say, is a little patience.

Or prior planning.

This patience bollocks just goes down as an excuse for time wasted.

Daz

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
Pasoti Quiz Champions
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 30, 2003
Tugboat":2n30buk7 said:
X Isle":2n30buk7 said:

Or prior planning.

Yep I’m sure they sat back and didn’t realise the window was opening and didn’t plan any players to leave or come in. :thumbs:

Spot on Smiffy.

Tugboat

Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 24, 2007
Daz":9ntojmcc said:
Tugboat":9ntojmcc said:
X Isle":9ntojmcc said:

Or prior planning.

Yep I’m sure they sat back and didn’t realise the window was opening and didn’t plan any players to leave or come in. :thumbs:

Spot on Smiffy.

Yep I’m sure they sat back and waited to start contract talks with one of our most influential players whose contract expired in a few weeks.

Oh wait.

Lesley Somerville

✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Jan 1, 2011
Plymouth
Starting talks means absolutely nothing if the player doesn't want to stay and/or is waiting to see if better offers come in.

Daz

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
Pasoti Quiz Champions
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 30, 2003
Tugboat":3bk8ih4j said:
Daz":3bk8ih4j said:
Tugboat":3bk8ih4j said:
X Isle":3bk8ih4j said:

Or prior planning.

Spot on Smiffy.

Yep I’m sure they sat back and waited to start contract talks with one of our most influential players whose contract expired in a few weeks.

Oh wait.

No they didn’t sit back and wait. Argyle and the player knew what they were signing when he agreed to join. He didn’t want to stay long term, can you not understand that?

Get a grip man.

Feb 15, 2005
Just maybe the players we are interested in, are on the shopping list of other clubs and these players are pondering their options and what’s best for them. Of course if we offer £10k per week then I’m sure we will get takers but our location and financial position means we are not the first choice of a lot of the available players.

Daz

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
Pasoti Quiz Champions
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 30, 2003
buck197":r6yjlag3 said:
Just maybe the players we are interested in, are on the shopping list of other clubs and these players are pondering their options and what’s best for them. Of course if we offer £10k per week then I’m sure we will get takers but our location and financial position means we are not the first choice of a lot of the available players.

Some common sense. :clap:

Jul 29, 2010
Well quite Buck.

Tugboat":19tve1vy said:
X Isle":19tve1vy said:

Or prior planning.

Really Tuggers?, you come over as a tad obtuse at times but I don't have you down as stupid. There is logic to my point about when a player is signed within the window, why dismiss it out of hand.

We could sign a dozen players on day one of the window. You, presumably by your logic would be delighted by that as it would show you planning and drive. But they could all be rubbish. And why were their existing clubs so keen to let them go?, shouldn't we look gift horses in the mouth a bit?

Or you could keep a poker face and hold out for better players, the ones their clubs aren't falling over themselves to let go. They will always come later in the month, they will always be dependent on prior business.

We are just 10 days into a 30 day window (Jan 1st didn't count) but already the usual suspects are picking up a stick to beat Argyle for 'dragging their heels'.

We have no idea how fast Derek's little feet are peddling under the water while his calm swan-esque torso is giving little away.

We will also have no idea if a player signs in the last few days, hours, minutes or seconds if he was someone Derek was tracking for months or a reserve option because someone else didn't pan out.

But hey, why not empty headedly presume incompetence and panic, despite no confirmatory evidence available to support that assumption :roll:

You could however just patiently wait and see what happens and trust the club and the manager are doing the very best they can with what they've got.

Your choice but don't expect everyone to agree with you, and the other usual suspects, just because you leap to see the negative and rush to pooh pooh logical positivity.

Tugboat

Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 24, 2007
I’m not expecting anyone to agree with me. I’m not trying to voice popular content like a trade unionist.

I’m putting my views across however I’ll concieved they are by others.

monkeywrench

Administrator
Staff member
Brickfields Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Jan 12, 2006
Cornwall
Tugboat":27g6yxm9 said:
I’m not expecting anyone to agree with me. I’m not trying to voice popular content like a trade unionist.

No need to add 'by others" :)

Aug 17, 2011
Kings Tamerton
Tugboat":31r1ex2l said:

I’m of a mind with you Tuggers. We knew what we wanted way, way back and getting your ducks in a row is what Barcelona did with Coutinho ( you know, the player that Liverpool were desperate to get rid of) and what Fleetwood did with Toums (you know, who we were desperate to get rid of).

If we can’t find anyone to suit it will be the 2nd window in which DA has failed in getting his recruitment right.

Emu

Oct 3, 2003
Sarf London
Tugboat":1wguzf5j said:
Daz":1wguzf5j said:
Tugboat":1wguzf5j said:
X Isle":1wguzf5j said:

Or prior planning.

Spot on Smiffy.

Oh wait.

Have you been on the sauce this week Tuggers?
Calm down man. Not sure we can all bear another 20 days of boisterous postings!

Patience is a virtue. Let's see what happens :)

Sep 17, 2017
As ever the majority of players on the move will hold out until the final days of the window, keeping their options open.

I wouldn’t expect to see anyone come in until the final couple of days,

That’s just the way it is for us in the SW outpost!