Are the players good enough to play passing football? | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Are the players good enough to play passing football?

C

Cult Of Personality

I rather go down playing the football we are trying to play now then stay up playing hoof ball. Football for me is about entertainment and watching Lowe side try and play and Adams long ball 1 upfront style is night and day . Lowe is trying to play the right way and good players will wanna come here and play like that if we carry it on

ngs

Apr 7, 2020
Cult Of Personality":2pxyq0gz said:
I rather go down playing the football we are trying to play now then stay up playing hoof ball. Football for me is about entertainment and watching Lowe side try and play and Adams long ball 1 upfront style is night and day . Lowe is trying to play the right way and good players will wanna come here and play like that if we carry it on

I was just thinking this while watching West Brom completely bore the life out the game. Would much rather watch/accept going down playing half decent football than 5-4-1 everyone behind the ball try not concede.

Like you say, playing the right way will attract the players that can play that way and play it well.

justanotherfan

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🍌 Bomber Harris.
🚑 Steve Hooper
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 4, 2012
Plymouth
Danny Mayor needs a player to make himself available in the manner of Callum MacFadzean, this does not always happen now and hence blind alleys. Get the ball to the best player on the park to get us up the field but make sure he has an out.

Tugboat

Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 24, 2007
ngs01":3bgwcvwk said:
Cult Of Personality":3bgwcvwk said:

I was just thinking this while watching West Brom completely bore the life out the game. Would much rather watch/accept going down playing half decent football than 5-4-1 everyone behind the ball try not concede.

Like you say, playing the right way will attract the players that can play that way and play it well.

I think we our match was very similar to West Ham Vs Brighton.

West ham have more quality and are expected to win the match but Brighton play there game well and stuck to there morales.

More than matched the opposition.

Pogleswoody

R.I.P
Jul 3, 2006
Location Location
justanotherfan":1yhl795v said:
Danny Mayor needs a player to make himself available in the manner of Callum MacFadzean, this does not always happen now and hence blind alleys. Get the ball to the best player on the park to get us up the field but make sure he has an out.

Well he had Fadz and Cooper G last season. Lots of interplay with Cooper down the left and lots of crosses from there too.

Jul 12, 2016
Cult Of Personality":223j2lqx said:
No way. It has taken a lot to get back to league one and now is not the time to go down for the sake of playing attractive football. We need to dig in to stay in this league.So you would be happy with us playing attractive football in the National league?

Sep 6, 2006
oldage":2lsn01zl said:
Cult Of Personality":2lsn01zl said:
No way. It has taken a lot to get back to league one and now is not the time to go down for the sake of playing attractive football. We need to dig in to stay in this league.So you would be happy with us playing attractive football in the National league?

But you don't watch us anyway so it wouldn't concern you how we play would
It?

Jul 12, 2016
Balham_Green":3qbahbzt said:
oldage":3qbahbzt said:
Cult Of Personality":3qbahbzt said:

But you don't watch us anyway so it wouldn't concern you how we play would
It?
What are you going on about? First season as a ST holder I have missed in over 50 years.

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
justanotherfan":1p3wy4d2 said:
He does need an ‘out’ and, for that, he has Conor Grant whose crossing is quite reliable. I think the problem is that he is always looking for the ‘out’ option when he should vary it and sometimes look for the strikers, Jephcott or Hardie.
When he progresses into the penalty area he seems to want to shoot and 90% of the time his shots are blocked.
We haven’t had a penalty this season which is surprising considering the dribbling skills of Mayor and Hardie, in particular.

Apr 20, 2008
Plymouth
Last season we tried a full-on passing mode which saw us pottering around in mid-table, before tweaking it a little to sometimes play accurate long balls, which was far more effective. In fact, the best Argyle teams I've watched have always been able to mix styles between short and long passing.

A passing style can work at this level, but it's very fragile. If our passing game is slightly off, or if opposition teams figure us out by cutting off supply to the CDM/wing backs, we're in trouble. We need to then look to play accurate long balls, not just hoofing it anywhere, getting the two strikers to make intelligent runs and gain territory that way. At times against Charlton, we did this well.

From an aesthetic point of view, I dont think a successful team that mixes styles is too bad to watch at all. I've watched us when we were cr*p try and play a long ball style and a passing style, and I'd say they were both equally painful to view.

Jul 12, 2016
I agree. We need to be able to play both types of football. When we are up against it our short passing game can be our undoing particularly away from home.