Argyle ladies losing some of their best players and coaches | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Argyle ladies losing some of their best players and coaches

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
Not to make this an argument, because it's more of an interesting debate IMO. But men's teams don't make a profit because they spend all the revenue (and usually way more) than they bring in. The revenue they bring in is still very high though, obviously it's stratospheric at Premier League level but even Argyle generate multi millions and have attendances between 10,000 and 15,000.

I don't think Man City or Liverpool ARE light years away from us on the pitch, one of the beauties of football is that it's a game of incredibly fine margins and it's more than possible for a club like Argyle to go to Anfield and get a result. You could also put Alex Palmer or Michael Cooper in a Premier League game and they wouldn't look out of place at all (whether they'd make a crucial mistake, their distribution isn't quite right, or they could perform at that level over a season is another story). And obviously Shilton played 125 times for England, so he can't be that bad.

Not sure what the answer is for women's football, but it's a crying shame that Argyle Ladies is struggling in this way. It just seems an existential problem that the men's club game is such a cultural, tribal and business phenomenon, that it's just a totally different sport and entity to the women's equivalent.

Oct 17, 2011
Plymouth
If what IJN alluded to earlier in the thread is correct re withdrawing support, then Argyle should be ashamed of themselves, as they project themselves as a Community club and the £'s needed to run the Ladies club is very little in the greater scheme of things. Something internal internal must have happened to cause half of last seasons squad to leave, and the most senior managers and coaches to quit without any real explanations.

May 21, 2018
philevs":3s5x6gmj said:
Yep, spot on I think.
I like watching it personally, but don’t see why a Plymouth team necessarily has to be linked to Argyle.

The counter argument is that Argyle as a brand has an ageing following. If we are going to attract young women 'to the brand' then a competitive women's team will encourage involvement at the younger age level, involve their families and increase our profile. There must be a case to increase the number of under 30s who are proud of the shirt of whatever gender.

Alan Turing

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Jul 24, 2010
Mutley
For the club to let the ladies drift into uncertainty as it has, is nothing less than shameful and it is now clear that the club saw the ladies set up as nothing more than a tick-box exercise.

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
I just find that hard to believe when both Simon and Jane Hallett were/are particularly passionate about the ladies team.

Keepitgreen

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
♣️ PACSA Member
♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🚑 Steve Hooper
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
May 12, 2008
Plymouth
Biggs":1w91o5j7 said:
I just find that hard to believe when both Simon and Jane Hallett were/are particularly passionate about the ladies team.
They are, and I'm sure will continue to be.

The Doctor

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 15, 2003
Plymouth
andapoet.blog
Keepitgreen":xyind4ko said:
Biggs":xyind4ko said:
They are, and I'm sure will continue to be.
Just not with so much financial backing (presumably and understandably if so)

GreenDave1981

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Aug 5, 2017
Alan Turing":579ak08r said:
For the club to let the ladies drift into uncertainty as it has, is nothing less than shameful and it is now clear that the club saw the ladies set up as nothing more than a tick-box exercise.

I can’t agree, and think the description of shameful is very harsh. People up and down the country are losing their jobs and businesses folding and this doesn’t mean they were not valued before this happened.

Businesses have to make choices of how they spend money and what they prioritise. I think the current climate just makes this more stark. If the fans survey suggested that the ladies team wasn’t a high priority by the fans (disclaimer that I have no idea what was in the results) then I can understand this decision being made.

I feel terrible for everyone that is losing their job in this awful time and hope that those from the ladies team find success and happiness in their future

Keepitgreen

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
♣️ PACSA Member
♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🚑 Steve Hooper
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
May 12, 2008
Plymouth
GreenDave1981":2jk4mr9s said:
Alan Turing":2jk4mr9s said:

I can’t agree, and think the description of shameful is very harsh. People up and down the country are losing their jobs and businesses folding and this doesn’t mean they were not valued before this happened.

Businesses have to make choices of how they spend money and what they prioritise. I think the current climate just makes this more stark. If the fans survey suggested that the ladies team wasn’t a high priority by the fans (disclaimer that I have no idea what was in the results) then I can understand this decision being made.

I feel terrible for everyone that is losing their job in this awful time and hope that those from the ladies team find success and happiness in their future
What decision is that?

Oct 17, 2011
Plymouth
The new Exeter Chairman has pledged £5000 over 2 years to help support their ladies club who have a similar pathway to Argyle Ladies for the development of young female players into Adult football..