Argyle Reserves v Tottenham Reserves | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Argyle Reserves v Tottenham Reserves

Jan 26, 2009
Tamerton Foliot
The Argyle Reserves v Tottenham Reserves match with Jimmy Greaves had an attendance of over 12000. The same season's match Argyle Reserves v Mansfield Reserves had over 26000 - this was because everyone attending received a voucher for the soon FA Cup 4th round match home to Spurs. I was at all 3 of those matches.

jerryatricjanner

✅ Evergreen
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 22, 2006
mercedes":l9yttdn9 said:
The Argyle Reserves v Tottenham Reserves match with Jimmy Greaves had an attendance of over 12000. The same season's match Argyle Reserves v Mansfield Reserves had over 26000 - this was because everyone attending received a voucher for the soon FA Cup 4th round match home to Spurs. I was at all 3 of those matches.
Wasn't the 26,000 paying customers recorded due to the fact that many walked out and paid again and again to get more ticket vouchers for the cup game?

Jul 12, 2004
jerryatricjanner":15j02xox said:
mercedes":15j02xox said:
Wasn't the 26,000 paying customers recorded due to the fact that many walked out and paid again and again to get more ticket vouchers for the cup game?

As I indicated in my OP this happened. There were certainly not 26,000 in the ground when the match started. I suppose this was an early form of attendance fixing!!!

I have agreed to donate the original programme to the Argyle Archive together with any other programmes they are interested in.

Given that we are entertaining Exeter in a couple of weeks I was surprised to find a 'Public Practice Match' against them on August 18th 1965. Argyle won 5-0 with goals from Colin Buckingham, Frank Lord, Mike Trebilcock and a brace from Stuart Brace. It also has several autographs including Trebilcock who underwent a name pronunciation when he scored in an FA Cup Final for Everton.

Jul 12, 2004
The final post on this honest. Having promised to let the Argyle Archive have any of my programmes they want I found the Official Handbook for 1962-63. Like Wisdens they list all matches and I can definitively state that the quoted attandance for the reserve match against Tottenham was, as said earlier, 12,907 on 20th January 1962 the attendance for the Mansfield reserve match was 25,648. Looking through normal attendances for reserve matches was in the 2,000s.

As an aside when Jimmy Greaves was down at Home Park for the first time our senior team were playing at Anfield and losing 2-1 with A'Court and St John scoring quite a coincidence that Saint & Greavesie played and scored against Argyle on the same day.

When we played Liverpool at Home Park on the final day of the season Argyle lost 3-2 with A'Court and St John scoring with a certain Roger Hunt getting the third. I remember this match as having a wonder goal from George Robertson. Only 13,427 though in attendance.

Steve Dean

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 15, 2003
Plymouth
Bonzo":13nd5bfw said:
As an aside when Jimmy Greaves was down at Home Park for the first time our senior team were playing at Anfield and losing 2-1 with A'Court and St John scoring quite a coincidence that Saint & Greavesie played and scored against Argyle on the same day.
Love that one!

Apr 25, 2006
Cornwall
Bonzo":3qw2mx20 said:
When we played Liverpool at Home Park on the final day of the season Argyle lost 3-2 with A'Court and St John scoring with a certain Roger Hunt getting the third. I remember this match as having a wonder goal from George Robertson. Only 13,427 though in attendance.

I was there that day and remember George taking a hopeful punt from out on the wing which sailed into the net over the head of the bemused Liverpool goalie - one Jim Furnell.

Jul 12, 2004
Sorry to re-visit this but given the time we now have on our hands I have been working through the programmes I promised the Argyle Archive and opened the one against West Ham and found to my great surprise that Geoff Hurst was listed as right half. Thank goodness someone in the following four years had the sense to move him forward.

Aug 5, 2016
rsp4":3gsgsjcs said:
Blimey I read the title and got excited because I thought we were having a reserves match with Spurs :funny: :funny:

Maybe in the future eh

Imagine Harry Kane playing at Home Park for Spurs reserves, it might shift a few tickets!