Argyle v Chelsea U21 (all merged). | Page 5 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Argyle v Chelsea U21 (all merged).

Graham Clark

✅ Evergreen
Nov 18, 2018
Whilst the competition is understandably despised it did give Ryan Lowe an opportunity to experiment with some tactical changes. Most notably he played with a diamond in midfield with Cooper at the head and Randell at the base. When Josh Grant came on he played exceptionally well at the base with Randell moved forward. The change meant the ball was perceptibly moved quicker and with a little more purpose.

Randell continues to impress with an ability to pass swiftly with either foot but he has to cut out the occasional suicide ball and learn to deliver corners with a much better execution if he is to establish his place in the first XI. No wonder Lowe was frustrated with him.

As for game management last night was another example of where playing a longer ball down the channels is a often better outcome than trying to play out of trouble late in the game. I see Ryan Lowe rightly hammered that point home in his post match comments.

JannerinCardiff

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
♣️ SWAG Member
Jul 16, 2018
Cardiff
macleanie":153m2uus said:
I disagree. I thought it was far from decent. We couldn't beat the first man from corners, we gave the ball away far too much - in fact in the second half we couldn't string two passes together. Cooper could certainly pull off a save but his distribution was poor. We were out of ideas, zero quality or clear chances.

Chelsea the better side, still a lot of errors in their game but they're young and learning. They had several clear cut chances and deserved to win.

I got no encouragement for Saturday by watching that rubbish.

JannerinCardiff

♣️ SWAG Member
Jul 16, 2018
Cardiff
JannerinCardiff":37cl0swz said:
macleanie":37cl0swz said:
I disagree. I thought it was far from decent. We couldn't beat the first man from corners, we gave the ball away far too much - in fact in the second half we couldn't string two passes together. Cooper could certainly pull off a save but his distribution was poor. We were out of ideas, zero quality or clear chances.

Chelsea the better side, still a lot of errors in their game but they're young and learning. They had several clear cut chances and deserved to win.

I got no encouragement for Saturday by watching that rubbish.

You clearly saw a different game to me. Argyle weren’t at all brilliant but we had a few patches where we were all over them. Certainly we were not rubbish. A draw would have been a fair result.

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
Dan Ellard":debfds13 said:
Another interesting point is the power of marketing - remember in 2017 when we played Chelsea's kids and the club blatantly tried to advertise it as "We're playing the actual Chelsea!". The crowd that night was almost 4,000.

Last night, thankfully, the club didn't do any of that, and the crowd wasn't even half that. The power of advertising, or maybe just the wheels are falling off with this competition already...

Yep. It was good to see a low key build up from the club regarding this joke game. There were no pre-match interviews with Lowe or any of the players as there is for any game. Lowe gave an interview before the EFL Trophy game against Bristol Rovers but not for this one.

It was also good to see our seventh lowest attendance ever for the game. Hopefully the PL kids teams in this competition will soon be a thing of the past.

May 21, 2010
taunton
Not a good result really, only played against a bunch of kids and still couldnt defend. A defeat on saturday and people will start asking questions of Lowes appointment. All this talk of takes time to gel is carp, its the same for all teams.

JannerinCardiff

♣️ SWAG Member
Jul 16, 2018
Cardiff
Steve Wooldridge":29j1dd58 said:
Not a good result really, only played against a bunch of kids and still couldnt defend. A defeat on saturday and people will start asking questions of Lowes appointment. All this talk of takes time to gel is carp, its the same for all teams.

A couple of those Chelsea ‘kids’ have a World Cup winners medal at U17’s.

Mar 15, 2007
Plymouth
Steve Wooldridge":2eyvxxv3 said:

It is, and all of the teams in our league who appointed new managers in the summer are below us. Including two sides who came down with us.

Mar 23, 2019
PL2 3DQ":27n6x29n said:
Dan Ellard":27n6x29n said:
Another interesting point is the power of marketing - remember in 2017 when we played Chelsea's kids and the club blatantly tried to advertise it as "We're playing the actual Chelsea!". The crowd that night was almost 4,000.

Last night, thankfully, the club didn't do any of that, and the crowd wasn't even half that. The power of advertising, or maybe just the wheels are falling off with this competition already...

Yep. It was good to see a low key build up from the club regarding this joke game. There were no pre-match interviews with Lowe or any of the players as there is for any game. Lowe gave an interview before the EFL Trophy game against Bristol Rovers but not for this one.

It was also good to see our seventh lowest attendance ever for the game. Hopefully the PL kids teams in this competition will soon be a thing of the past.

Strongly agree with everything said above.

Half the u21 teams are topping their groups as well. It really is a way to sneak them into the football pyramid.

Boycott this sham and help save football.

Jan 27, 2012
I can't imagine the players take this seriously- its effectively training match.

Judging by the attendences for these games, the fans couldn't care less either. Hopefully Argyle will get knocked out and be able to concentrate on the league and FA Cup- competitions that matter.

JannerinCardiff

♣️ SWAG Member
Jul 16, 2018
Cardiff
For me there was one big positive to come out of the match. This was Josh Grant who looked awesome as a CDM. We could play him there and put Joe Edwards at RWB (who I think is better than Riley in this position) and has already scored twice from there. This might sort out our obvious lopsided ness whilst not losing anything (or maybe even improving..) in the holding midfield position. Josh Grant reminded me of a young Vieira against Chelsea at times.

Mar 15, 2007
Plymouth
JannerinCardiff":3kscvenw said:
For me there was one big positive to come out of the match. This was Josh Grant who looked awesome as a CDM. We could play him there and put Joe Edwards at RWB (who I think is better than Riley in this position) and has already scored twice from there. This might sort out our obvious lopsided ness whilst not losing anything (or maybe even improving..) in the holding midfield position. Josh Grant reminded me of a young Vieira against Chelsea at times.

He played 25 minutes, against the u23 side he’s on loan from and therefore knows pretty well. I think you’re getting a bit carried away.

JannerinCardiff

♣️ SWAG Member
Jul 16, 2018
Cardiff
Nobby":1pj94aaj said:
JannerinCardiff":1pj94aaj said:

He played 25 minutes, against the u23 side he’s on loan from and therefore knows pretty well. I think you’re getting a bit carried away.

Yes he was on a short time but made a big impact. Clearly Lowe also thinks he can play the position given he gave him a go there. Having him on the pitch also gives us more aerial prowess for and against corners and FK’s, certainly more so than having Edwards at CDM.

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
JannerinCardiff":34jd21ze said:
Nobby":34jd21ze said:
JannerinCardiff":34jd21ze said:

Yes he was on a short time but made a big impact. Clearly Lowe also thinks he can play the position given he gave him a go there. Having him on the pitch also gives us more aerial prowess for and against corners and FK’s, certainly more so than having Edwards at CDM.

Grant was at fault for three goals against Exeter, for the second goal he lost his man at a free-kick. He also lost headers in the Cheltenham and Scunthorpe games which led to goals.
I was surprised he lasted the full 90 minutes against Exeter and even more surprised he played in the joke game on Tuesday.
Why didn't our own youngster Mike Peck get a chance?

The CDM role is also about passing and keeping the team moving so I reckon Edwards (or Randell) is better than Grant at doing that. Baxter is the best passer in that position but he's injured.

Jan 4, 2005
NEWQUAY
The heigth of Grant coming forward into central mid-field would be lost as a defensive asset, by putting Edwards back to RB in place of Riley, as so many on here wish to see. I certainly accept that loanee Grant needs to produce more.