Argyle v Hull City - the build up | Page 6 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Argyle v Hull City - the build up

Who do you think will win?

• The Pilgrims

Votes: 29 27.9%
  • The Tigers

Votes: 45 43.3%
  • A draw

Votes: 30 28.8%

• Total voters
Mar 10, 2017
Ipplepen
I listened to the championship chat podcast today, which had a couple of interesting stats that might boost our hopes. Birmingham have lost on the last four final days of the season. Norwich have won nine of their last ten games against Birmingham, including the last six in a row. Saying that, both presenters then tipped us to go down 🥲

Feb 20, 2021
Sadly I never played for Argyle, though I could have been a programme seller. I just think that Waine having taken part in over 30 games this season scoring just two goals isn't good enough. You may disagree.
Hes only started 11 of those ‘over 30 games’. Two of which were in the league cup.

Hes scored 5 goals. (3 in the league cup.) Hes not the finished article of course. At 22 Ryan Hardie was on loan with us in league 2. After not getting any game time in League 1 with Blackpool.

Feb 14, 2022
Sadly I never played for Argyle, though I could have been a programme seller.

Paul Sturrock asked me to be Pilgrim Pete once - I was buying tickets in the old club shop at the time. If there wasn't a group of us attending, I may have said yes!

Sep 6, 2006
He is the only option really isn't he if we class Bundu and Freddie as more wide players. If the backroom team at Argyle saw no prospect of him being an asset at some point I think he would have been moved on by now though.
Personally, and I talk as a fan with no in depth knowledge of the game, I don't see him establishing himself at Championship level but at League 1 level he might well do, we will see.
He has definitely bulked out and become stronger and at 22 can still improve.
You think he's any better than Jephcott who is struggling in L2?

jerryatricjanner

✅ Evergreen
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 22, 2006
You think he's any better than Jephcott who is struggling in L2?
He looks fitter and stronger than Jephcott to me. I am far from convinced he will make it at this level to be honest but think his physical development and experience at this level will make him better at League 1 level than when he first joined us should we go down.
Jephcott seems on a downward slide since his purple patch with us a few years ago. Possibly there are non footballing reasons contributing to that?
In answer to your question, yes, I would say Waine is better than Jephcott is right now. If only he could come up with a finish or two like a prime Jephcott now.

Sep 6, 2006
He looks fitter and stronger than Jephcott to me. I am far from convinced he will make it at this level to be honest but think his physical development and experience at this level will make him better at League 1 level than when he first joined us should we go down.
Jephcott seems on a downward slide since his purple patch with us a few years ago. Possibly there are non footballing reasons contributing to that?
In answer to your question, yes, I would say Waine is better than Jephcott is right now. If only he could come up with a finish or two like a prime Jephcott now.
I can see zero evidence to see that Waine is better than Jephcott. How can you say so? He has nothing like his scoring record

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
I could honestly see a scenario where Norwich do their bit and get a draw, and we lose by enough to go down on goal difference. Hull are on fire.

This is why I’m torn on what would be the best tactical approach for tomorrow. Go all out for the win and leave ourselves open by trying to blow Hull away? Or keep things tight, restrict Hull, stay in the game and hope Norwich do the business? Both could backfire spectacularly.

Feb 8, 2005
This is why I’m torn on what would be the best tactical approach for tomorrow. Go all out for the win and leave ourselves open by trying to blow Hull away? Or keep things tight, restrict Hull, stay in the game and hope Norwich do the business? Both could backfire spectacularly.
Get to half time and reassess.

Both scenarios could be the way to go then, dependant on the other matches and scores.

Reactions: Cobi Budge
Mar 8, 2024
Walthamstow
I'd like to see a lineup with built in flexibility to allow us to pivot quickly without changing personnel. We might have to totally change our approach 3 or 4 times in the game.

Coops
Pleg Gibson Galloway
Sorinola Mumba
Edwards
Forshaw Devine/Rands
Morgan
Hardie

Morgan with a license to drift, Forshaw with instructions to move the ball forwards. Bali and Matty providing width, able to bomb on with Edwards to cover or create overloads. If we need to shut up shop this can be a 5 -3 - 2 (even 5-4-1). If we need to gamble Bali goes up to the left-sided 10 in a front 3, Galloway to LB in a back 4, Edwards to RM, and Devine the attacking midfielder.

Feb 8, 2005
I'd like to see a lineup with built in flexibility to allow us to pivot quickly without changing personnel. We might have to totally change our approach 3 or 4 times in the game.

Coops
Pleg Gibson Galloway
Sorinola Mumba
Edwards
Forshaw Devine/Rands
Morgan
Hardie

Morgan with a license to drift, Forshaw with instructions to move the ball forwards. Bali and Matty providing width, able to bomb on with Edwards to cover or create overloads. If we need to shut up shop this can be a 5 -3 - 2 (even 5-4-1). If we need to gamble Bali goes up to the left-sided 10 in a front 3, Galloway to LB in a back 4, Edwards to RM, and Devine the attacking midfielder.
I wouldn't play Pleggy. He let us down last match and has to be dropped down to the bench again.

We need to be able to defend from the start as well so that we can prevent Hull from getting a good start in the game.

Defend with the ability to go forward when the opportunity arises.

Mar 8, 2024
Walthamstow
I wouldn't play Pleggy. He let us down last match and has to be dropped down to the bench again.
Fair enough. Neither of our RCB options convince me to be fair, but neither does playing Scarr or Gibson out of position. Feels like a problem area for us that can only be really solved by a back 4

Feb 8, 2005
Fair enough. Neither of our RCB options convince me to be fair, but neither does playing Scarr or Gibson out of position. Feels like a problem area for us that can only be really solved by a back 4
Philips will have to start as RCB. He has disappointed me lately, going down with cramp at the last match suggests that he has not been training hard enough during the week. Pleggy was forced to take his place and he let us down with his defending, but Philips will do the job we want from him at the back.