Argyle v Tottenham (1962) | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Argyle v Tottenham (1962)

Apr 9, 2011
Southampton Hake":25hipcl4 said:
As a 12 year old I was present in the enclosure in front of the main stand, level with the Devonport End penalty box 18 yard line. This was an excellent position from which to see Jimmy Greaves score his second goal. I have always considered myself fortunate to have seen the finest team of that era at Argyle, and thanked my late father many a time for getting tickets and driving us to the match from St Ives. Spurs were just too good for us that day with a strong defence, ball playing midfield and flying wingers (no pun intented Q-G).

Wasn't the high attendance for the reserves match starring Jimmy Greaves, boosted by the fact that the redemption of this ticket gave the holder a priority access to a ticket to the Cup match? I seem to recall that at least one of the tickets in our party of four was obtained in this way.

On to January 1965, Torquay v Spurs at Plainmoor and half of the Spurs team had changed. An incredible 3/3 draw with Jimmy Greaves a non -scorer, but a happy return to St Ives by train for two young adopted Torquay fans.
I was at that game . I think United were 3-1 down & Robin Stubbs scored twice in the last 10 minutes to level it 3-3 with Spurs hanging on at the end what a match. I think United lost 5-1 ? at White Hart Lane in the replay

Jan 4, 2005
NEWQUAY
Southampton Hake":l2gnrfkz said:
As a 12 year old I was present in the enclosure in front of the main stand, level with the Devonport End penalty box 18 yard line. This was an excellent position from which to see Jimmy Greaves score his second goal. I have always considered myself fortunate to have seen the finest team of that era at Argyle, and thanked my late father many a time for getting tickets and driving us to the match from St Ives. Spurs were just too good for us that day with a strong defence, ball playing midfield and flying wingers (no pun intented Q-G).

Wasn't the high attendance for the reserves match starring Jimmy Greaves, boosted by the fact that the redemption of this ticket gave the holder a priority access to a ticket to the Cup match? I seem to recall that at least one of the tickets in our party of four was obtained in this way.

On to January 1965, Torquay v Spurs at Plainmoor and half of the Spurs team had changed. An incredible 3/3 draw with Jimmy Greaves a non -scorer, but a happy return to St Ives by train for two young adopted Torquay fans.

I was in London on a week's course at that time. The Torquay Directors were staying in the same hotel in Bloomsbury. I was able to recognise the then Torquay Chairman, solicitor, Tony Boyce. When they came back from the game, I was still in the bar and was able to ask the score. I could only congratulate him on the result that evening.

Feb 21, 2012
Plymouth
RE my inaccuarcies. I am happy to be corrected by Quintrell Green and memory Man about minimum wage,Greaves etc,it seems my memory of the time is not as good as i thought.
About the game itself,(Spurs) i could not go as i had my paper round to do,even though it was my birthday! :furious:

Jan 11, 2016
My first memory of the Spurs cup tie week was keeping my fingers crossed that common sense would prevail and that the powers that be at the College would cancel all Saturday afternoon rugby so that all of us could get to the match. Thankfully the sensible decision was taken so Saturday morning school could go ahead instead of a mystery 24 hour illness being conjured up to explain mass absences! My diary tells me we had Ted Mercer for Maths to end the morning before attention switched to the game. This was the legendary Ted Mercer who, when Jimmy Greaves came back to England and made his debut for Spurs Reserves the previous December had us working out whether Argyle could have afforded him if they had been able to sell all the cars in a full Argyle car park assuming that the owners would have thought it was a good deal for the club! I noted that Argyle 'played well' which they did and that I walked home to St.Budeaux as usual after the game. I'm not sure my Dad would have let his car be sold to buy Jimmy Greaves but it wouldn't have bothered me! Happy times in proper green!

memory man

✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Nov 28, 2011
Romsey
Southampton Hake":rzvmglex said:

The reserves game that marked the return of Jimmy Greaves was more than two months prior to the cup tie. So we hadn't even beaten West Ham to qualify for FAC4 when t he reserve game was played. But a reserve game was involved in the getting of tickets for the Spurs cup game. But it was Mansfield Reserves who were the opposition and you had to go through the turnstile for that game to buy a ticket for the following Saturday's game,

Aug 14, 2014
Thanks Memory Man, the match against Mansfield reserves must have made Argyle a few pounds, rather than a few bob.
If I had checked on line I would have read that Jimmy Greaves scored a
hat-trick on his Spurs league debut against Blackpool on 16th December 1961.

Jan 4, 2005
NEWQUAY
rongreenblood":i1cedvhs said:
I think Jimmy Greaves scored on debut for every team that he played for.

Yes, he states that statistic in his autobiography. It was just a pity he was badly crocked by a French defender in the earlier round of the World Cup Finals. He was left with a huge gash in his leg that needed protection. As it happened Geoff Hurst made the most of his unexpected opportunity. I do not think Greavsey ever became a Francophile after that incident.

Argylegames

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Jun 12, 2006
Hampshire, UK
www.argylegames.org.uk
Quintrell_Green":13cic1i9 said:
rongreenblood":13cic1i9 said:
I think Jimmy Greaves scored on debut for every team that he played for.

Yes, he states that statistic in his autobiography. It was just a pity he was badly crocked by a French defender in the earlier round of the World Cup Finals. He was left with a huge gash in his leg that needed protection. As it happened Geoff Hurst made the most of his unexpected opportunity. I do not think Greavsey ever became a Francophile after that incident.
He was supposedly fit for the final and never forgave Ramsey that he wasn't brought back into the team.

Aug 14, 2014
Perhaps those Pasoti followers who have contributed to or viewed this topic would agree that that Jimmy Greaves' renowned phrase "It's a funny old game" makes a fitting summary.