Ashley Smith-Brown (departs) | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Ashley Smith-Brown (departs)

Tugboat

Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 24, 2007
Penlee":962gmilt said:
He was a very high wage earner so I imagine the pay off was significant. :thumbdown:

Although better than paying his full wages until the end of the season of course :thumbup:

Were you his accountant then?

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
He played for England at every age range from under16 to under20. He must have had the skill and potential to have a great career. He started quite well here and seemed to improve when he moved to right back.
If he has the determination and attitude he could still make it if he finds a manager who has confidence in his ability.

Jul 14, 2008
Penlee":2nnc5r61 said:
He was a very high wage earner so I imagine the pay off was significant. :thumbdown:

Although better than paying his full wages until the end of the season of course :thumbup:

I imagine in these instances that the contract is basically cancelled at no cost to the club. The alternative for the player is that he plays with the reserves for 6 months so it’s better for him to cancel the contract and find a club.

Mar 23, 2008
I think I'm right in saying, under Adams we only paid a fee for two players in Blissett and Smith-Brown, based on that I think perhaps we might explore the free transfer and loan market?? I thought Moore and Smith-Brown looked liked they might have worked in our system but in Lowe we trust.

cheshiregreen

✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
Feb 17, 2004
cheshire
Deacster":m9u6vtrp said:
I think I'm right in saying, under Adams we only paid a fee for two players in Blissett and Smith-Brown, based on that I think perhaps we might explore the free transfer and loan market?? I thought Moore and Smith-Brown looked liked they might have worked in our system but in Lowe we trust.

Think it was said we paid a fee for Ryan Edwards too?

Apr 1, 2009
Herts_Green":1ubep08k said:
Penlee":1ubep08k said:

I imagine in these instances that the contract is basically cancelled at no cost to the club. The alternative for the player is that he plays with the reserves for 6 months so it’s better for him to cancel the contract and find a club.

I don't think so. Unless the player concerned has a contract lined up elsewhere on similar (or better) money, he's not going to give up 6 months wages that he is entitled to. So a compromise has to be negotiated in terms of a pay-off. It's highly unlikely that ASB has a comparable offer, but he might have an offer of some sort elsewhere.

Devizes Green

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Feb 8, 2016
IJN":1v2f7t5u said:
Plus Dyson from Everton.

All very strange.

Yes when we signed 5 from PL clubs last season(including Macey) a lot of us thought there were some wee nuggets in there as most had played at various young international levels...but it has not worked out for some reason..whether its attitude/too much money early at PL clubs etc who knows but its a shame

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
jimsing":5q3e1swy said:
There must be more to this than the article suggests. Ashley Smith Brown will have fallen out with both Clubs for some unknown reason that we will never get to know about.

Well, in the club statements one club wished him the best of luck for the future and the other club didn't.

Feb 8, 2005
Exactly,

He went from playing regular to not being in the plans for a new manager to getting loaned out for the whole season to only playing 9 games then being returned to his home club half way through the loan to having his contract terminated.

Funny business if you ask me.

Mar 15, 2007
Plymouth
I have sympathy with ASB. It's hard for academy talents coming out of the youth ranks into mens football. He took a gamble by moving to the other end of the country to sign with us and quickly found himself in what appeared to be a pretty toxic environment. He was a decent performer by all accounts last season and the clean slate of a new manager suggested he could still be an asset, but Ryan Lowe had a favourite in McFadzean (rightly so) and that was ASB's chance of first team football gone pretty swiftly. He then gets a loan move to Oldham, back near his home town of Manchester and ends up at a club in significantly deeper disarray than we were in.

As an introduction to men's football it's been difficult for him and whilst I, nor any of us, know the ins and outs of why it hasn't quite worked out for him, I hope that he finds another club and lands on his feet.