BBC FL show | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

BBC FL show

Usually Late Kick Off runs from January to the end of the season. That's what's always happened before. Not sure if that's still the plan this season, haven't heard anything to the contrary.

A story like Argyle and Saturday and Fans Reunited would have been perfect for Late Kick Off, of course...

Aug 7, 2010
mikey":2831u53n said:
Have just finished watching the local news programs on TV the coverage about the Fans Fest was abysmal. Chris was talking about bombarding Sky with e-mails. It is my belief that the local media is the one that needs a good kicking up the arse.There does seem to be a bit of uneven coverage on the BBC regarding the three local football clubs with one getting more than its fair share, especially on the radio. :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :scarf:

To be fair to Sky when we bombarded them with emails about the players going on strike they did listen to us and had us on breaking news/repeat every half an hour.

Aug 4, 2009
Plymouth
Manish has tweeted saying ... 'All I can say is the next one on Oct 8th will be covered better. No one wants to see #pafc go under....wish them well with Brent takeover'

C

chairmanbha

i did an interview with local itv channel after fans meeting to explain why brighton fans were there, not sure it was used though, saw bit on line which concentrated on james brent. Not sure local media realy got the reason we were there and what a difference it made to help Argyle fans reignite their passion and support for their team. We had a fantastic time and had a very warm welcome from all your fans. Thankyou for a wonderful day and lets hope its good news from here on good luck

Sep 23, 2005
chairmanbha":2bfkl6nd said:
i did an interview with local itv channel after fans meeting to explain why brighton fans were there, not sure it was used though, saw bit on line which concentrated on james brent. Not sure local media realy got the reason we were there and what a difference it made to help Argyle fans reignite their passion and support for their team. We had a fantastic time and had a very warm welcome from all your fans. Thankyou for a wonderful day and lets hope its good news from here on good luck

No they didnt use it but I reckon you are on the right lines.

A good news story where fans from other clubs went a long way out of their way to support Argyle is so far from their perception of how fans react at a football match they probably didnt understand but I guess to really appreciate it you had to be there.

We will be forever in your debt, thanks again. :nworthy:

C

chairmanbha

jollygreenjohn":1pdyvklm said:
chairmanbha":1pdyvklm said:

No they didnt use it but I reckon you are on the right lines.

A good news story where fans from other clubs went a long way out of their way to support Argyle is so far from their perception of how fans react at a football match they probably didnt understand but I guess to really appreciate it you had to be there.

We will be forever in your debt, thanks again. :nworthy:
thanks again for kind words support for your club wont stop just because things look brighter we albion fans who were there will never forget and as i type this i am still wearing my green taverners fund band around my wrist. Fans united will never be defeated.

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
There was nothing on the local TV news last night about Fans Reunited, they just showed the goals that were scored. On ITV Westcountry Argyle were on after the rugby and cricket!!

B

bandwagon

PL2 3DQ":9qouelbn said:
There was nothing on the local TV news last night about Fans Reunited, they just showed the goals that were scored. On ITV Westcountry Argyle were on after the rugby and cricket!!

Both of our local news stations are the most naive feeds going - Don Arnold would fit in well back there!!

Aug 24, 2005
The Herald had been up at the ground in the week though doing a photo shoot. When was that in the paper?

Also I heard from a Pompey fan at work, that at half time at their game they somehow got a feed of the Argyle crowd (how??, or maybe just the sound from the radio), and showed the terrace with all the different colours. I guess it may have been a still picture, but even so was anything posted by then? That's what he said anyway.

The FLS may have apologised on twitter, but I think we should keep the pressure on them to make sure they give us a mention this week, and coverage the week after of FansReunited on 8th October.

Aug 22, 2006
This season they (IMG) are producing the show on a smaller budget.
As John said Football focus + five live along with the FL Show covered Plymouth well last saturday.
We got over a minute's coverage which is double most league 2 clubs that week, plus a bit of a chat after the game.
The content that was dealt with (bearing in mind so much has happened at argyle it's like a soap opera that would take months to explain to the casual audience) was fletcher along with Ro installed as caretaker with post match, also a bit about Brent. I agree about the fans re-united, which is bizarre because it could have maybe been talked about afterwards by Claridge as opposed to the angle about Fletcher as caretaker manager.

I keep saying this, but our coverage on the football league show I reckon is higher than a lot of clubs. You could argue that content over coverage is far more important, BUT nearly everyone was moaning about why the camera's didn't travel down to various home games throughout this season, when we were in trouble, but actually even we didn't know what was going on. So how the hell does anyone else know what's going on? They could have sent the cameras down every week, er that's fine, but that would have been seen as totally bias when you've got another 91 clubs to try and deal with fairly!
This is why in many ways the "plymouth story" so to speak will be covered in some depth soon. Closure is upon us.
In fact for the first time for a long time i've had many neutral fans coming up to me after this weekend's coverage and they are actually more clued up then they've ever been with regards to Argyle's plight. In the past they haven't really grasped the heaney/truro fc/ridsdale/peter reid/player not getting paid aspect.

Also just to add when you've got something like the Doncaster saga which happened near the end of last week, then you've
got to change what was already planned, last minute. That takes some re-organising.

It's tough to see so much criticism aimed at a group of people I know fairly well who work very hard to produce that show.
It's a very very quick turnaround, you need to have considerable knowledge for all 3 leagues, make quick decisions, explain a club's predicament in seconds, predict in many ways the future when planning mid-week, and cover all 92 clubs and pleasing them all at the same time. Understandably everyone is entitled to their opinion, and whilst a lot of what I read is very reasonable, a lot of it isn't.

B

bananabusboy

The coverage on that show is never great. Claridge is not liked by many down here. :scarf:[/quote]

Why? Because he predicted we would struggle to stay up last year. He was right wasn't he?
.[/quote]

I do not have to give any other reason for disliking Claridge other that I think he is a to**er!

N

NZGreen

Saw this PASOTI thread and had to share the following viewer's ("Jagermeister Jack") view of the Football League Show from the BBC website comments page a couple of seasons ago. The put downs are articulate and scathing in equal measure and worth a read. Enjoy;

"The Football League Show...

..A program which crams the football with a fanbase of over half a million people into an hour and half of barely digestible nano-spat shorthand where viewers are lucky if they even get the scores, let alone feast their eyes on highlights their retinas have time to transmit to their brain. Fans are forced to secure eyelids to their forehead using hairclips upon the introduction of their match; blinking literally would halve the coverage – while the format and presenters only add to the dirge.

The show opens with Manish Bhasin inexplicably introducing the program hanging from the studio scaffolding, the cameraman visibly flinching as he recovers from wildly scanning the room to locate the wayward presenter. You can almost feel the lens jockey’s frown from behind his gear, dumbfounded that Manish has scaled a 14 foot wall in order to announce the overture from the rafters instead of behind the desk like any normal anchor.

The fondling of convention doesn’t stop there. Next we are greeted by Lizzie Greenwood-Hughes, a smile literally tattooed on her face, sat ON a desk to let the viewers know how busy she is handling all your pointless grammatical molestations.

She tells us that Dave from Scunthorpe had a great trip to Plymouth, while everyone except Dave and Lizzie couldn’t give a flying cod. Infact Dave has probably gone to bed which leaves me wondering why Lizzie doesn’t just write an email back in her own time; sparing us the tedium and afford the show more time to spend on, I don’t know : FOOTBALL? instead of wasting air time on this grinwit riffling through her sad inbox.

Back to Manish, a good 15 minutes wasted on vacuity; Pleasant as it is to see him back on the ground again, he is now joined by a man whose face is so inhumanly dull if he stood still outside a village shop people would post letters in it. Steve Claridge admirably compliments his looks with his voice and personality – a sentence from the thumb-shaped pundit manages to sound less like a human opinion and more like a balloon being slowly deflated in a sink of marmite.

Next we are treated to the spectacle of two extended highlights of games the BBC has pre-empted to be less entertaining than a busker whistling, once again lacking the foresight to identify any of the other classic goal drenched encounters. Ingeniously this leads the viewers to actually look forward to another bloated segment of Lizzie’s tedious collection of monosyllabic junkmail.

Manish and the foot-with-a-face-drawn-on-it discuss the games briefly before viewers are jerked awake by the terrifying fear their life might be flashing before their eyes, before the relief that as they didn’t play that much football it must be the hyperdrive data injection of the rest of the leagues football highlights. The summaries are so short It’s like the Beeb are trying to implant each match subliminally into your brain without you noticing; you think you fell asleep during the show but in the morning you awake and are mysteriously aware Zebroski scored for Torquay United in the 83rd minute.

Insult is added to injury as the BBC suck any hope of these rushed micro-clips providing even an ounce of entertainment by ensuring the voiceover lets you know a team scores before the ball is in the net. Perhaps they should apply this bizarre device to all their programs, announcing Phil is going to lay Peggy out with a bottle of Pernod five seconds before he walks into the Queen Vic during an episode of Eastenders, and running the name of the winning contestant along the bottom of the screen at the start of The Weakest Link.

In an attempt to include everybody the show has entertained nobody, reduced coverage of each viewers club to quantum time in order to appease the solitary league 2 supporter still awake at 2am and read out Ian Bumwit’s text declaring the manager of Bleakport Rangers doesn’t know what he is doing.

The Championship surely deserves more than this? Stop mucking about on the roof Manish, find a co-host whose day job doesn't revolve around impersonating furniture, save the league 1 and 2 stuff for online, and tell Lizzie I have no interest in the contents of her Nokia unless it has longer highlights of the Reading V Burnley game."

jespafc

✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 23, 2005
www.johnstanlake.com
That post is genius and hilarious in equal measure....all apart from his apparent arrogance towards the championship.

:clap: