Beryl bikes | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Beryl bikes

Jan 16, 2010
plymouth
I wrote to Plymouth council about the cost of Beryl bikes under freedom of information.Each bike cost £2,200 and there will be 510 of them.I think this is outrageous.Thoughts?

Reactions: RB00194
I wrote to Plymouth council about the cost of Beryl bikes under freedom of information.Each bike cost £2,200 and there will be 510 of them.I think this is outrageous.Thoughts?
The council don't pay a penny for the bikes though, do they?
The council provide an operating licence and contract to Beryl, they do not buy the bikes or take a penny from the profits.

Nothing outrageous about it, you just have yourself confused.

Reactions: Bernie Bernbaum

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
I am out and about around the city a lot and I can honestly say that I have only ever seen TWO of them being used.

Keepitgreen

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
♣️ PACSA Member
♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🚑 Steve Hooper
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
May 12, 2008
Plymouth
I am out and about around the city a lot and I can honestly say that I have only ever seen TWO of them being used.
Don't you think that's rather dangerous, a taxi driver with his eyes closed. :)

Daz

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
Pasoti Quiz Champions
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 30, 2003
Really? I'm not a taxi driver and I see people on them all the time.

I'd like to see Steve's evidence that the council pay for them though seeing he went to the double of doing FOI request and posted it here.

May 8, 2011
The Beryl bikes are bought from a grant from the Government’s Transforming Cities Fund.
So there is no cost to the City’s Council Tax payer.

Political rubbish removed by Site Admin.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
Do they get used by Argyle fans to get to Home Park in matchdays? I have seen Boris bikes heavily used around the Emirates when Arsenal play but not at other grounds.

Jan 16, 2010
plymouth
The Beryl bikes are bought from a grant from the Government’s Transforming Cities Fund.
So there is no cost to the City’s Council Tax payer.
If you find the cost outrageous complain to your MP, if he or she is a Conservative of course.
a grant from the governments transforming cities fund is tax payers money and it is outrageous we are paying for it.

Adam

Pasoti Designer
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 5, 2010
Do they get used by Argyle fans to get to Home Park in matchdays? I have seen Boris bikes heavily used around the Emirates when Arsenal play but not at other grounds.

Possibly. But I think the only ‘station’ for them is by the Life Centre and that only holds about 8 slots.

Perhaps something for Argyle to get involved in and promote in the future? Especially with the car park now being full each home game.

Reactions: Lundan Cabbie
Nov 18, 2011
a grant from the governments transforming cities fund is tax payers money and it is outrageous we are paying for it.
Active travel is one of the most sensible investments a government can make. The government's own figures estimate that for every £1 spent, £4:30 of benefits is provided due to the health benefits, environmental benefits and reduces congestion. As noted above, the car park is always full on match day.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012

London is flat compared to our City, you have to be a bleddy athlete to bike around Plymouth.

Mate, you began this entire thread with the intention of dragging the council through the dirt on this because you had yourself confused.
When challenged on your assumption that the council pay for this provision, you said 'they do pay.got it in writing.'

Just to be clear, your council tax stays in the city - that's law. Just as it's law that a council cannot make a profit. Council tax contributes to nothing beyond the confines of the respective council's zone and subsequent responsibilities. Council tax does not pay a thing towards Beryl Bikes. Tax coming from central government is used, but that's 100% not council tax.

Again, you have yourself confused.