Beryl bikes | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Beryl bikes

Nov 13, 2006
Plympton St M
I am out and about around the city a lot and I can honestly say that I have only ever seen TWO of them being used

I walk in to work and home again, about 3 plus miles each way, and I see at least one every day. Plus I pass two charging points and each time the configuration of the bikes suggest several are used since I came past a few hours earlier. Unless, there is a professional driver driving around town moving them around to confuse me :)

• Haha
Reactions: Lundan Cabbie
Jan 16, 2010
plymouth
Mate, you began this entire thread with the intention of dragging the council through the dirt on this because you had yourself confused.
When challenged on your assumption that the council pay for this provision, you said 'they do pay.got it in writing.'

Just to be clear, your council tax stays in the city - that's law. Just as it's law that a council cannot make a profit. Council tax contributes to nothing beyond the confines of the respective council's zone and subsequent responsibilities. Council tax does not pay a thing towards Beryl Bikes. Tax coming from central government is used, but that's 100% not council tax.

Again, you have yourself confused.
when they go in for repair,who mends them and who pays for the repairs please?

Adam

Pasoti Designer
āœ… Evergreen
āœØPasoti DonorāœØ
šŸŒŸSparksy MuralšŸŒŸ
Apr 5, 2010

I believe they go to a place called BikeSpace in Devonport. Itā€™s a not-for-profit organisation that allows young people in the area to gain experience in fixing damaged bike parts and understanding how the batteries work.

Ultimately, Iā€™d imagine itā€™s us (taxpayers) who pay for these repairs, but if itā€™s going towards educating young people in one of the most deprived areas of the city, then they can happily have my money.

Jan 16, 2010
plymouth
I believe they go to a place called BikeSpace in Devonport. Itā€™s a not-for-profit organisation that allows young people in the area to gain experience in fixing damaged bike parts and understanding how the batteries work.

Ultimately, Iā€™d imagine itā€™s us (taxpayers) who pay for these repairs, but if itā€™s going towards educating young people in one of the most deprived areas of the city, then they can happily have my money.
thanks adam.

olive green

šŸ† Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
āœØPasoti DonorāœØ
Nov 3, 2004
Liverpool
London is flat compared to our City, you have to be a bleddy athlete to bike around Plymouth.
It's not like Forder Valley Hill in London, but I lived in Muswell Hill for 6 months in 1976-77 and cycled to and back from UCL beside Euston Station most days. Archway Road is definitely a hill! I was much younger in those days, and had trained by cycling up FH Hill.

Reactions: Lundan Cabbie
That would be Bikespace - funded by the DFT via PCC, still not funded by council tax.

PCC make all manner of mistakes and the organic pressures of constant funding cuts create real issues that are frequently mismanaged, but they are not to blame for everything you donā€™t like.
The shifting of goalposts will be futile, simply because the council 100% do not pay a thing towards Beryl Bikes.

I'm certainly no authority on what PCC do, but I won't ignore reality and logic to bin them off for something that costs me nothing from my council tax.

If I'm wrong, then post the evidence please.

Reactions: Bernie Bernbaum
Nov 13, 2006
Plympton St M
It's not like Forder Valley Hill in London, but I lived in Muswell Hill for 6 months in 1976-77 and cycled to and back from UCL beside Euston Station most days. Archway Road is definitely a hill! I was much younger in those days, and had trained by cycling up FH Hill.
Not forgetting Shooters Hill of Tale of Two Cities fame which is I think the highest point in London. However, its south of the river so LC would never have been there ;) If you started in New Cross, Greenwich or Lewisham by the time you got to the top you were cream crackered.

Nov 13, 2006
Plympton St M

Adam, back in the autumn I met the guys that run it. My understanding is that they are a CIC, so effectively act like any commercial operation except they plow profits back into a worthy cause. I was specifically talking to them about their sales of cargo bikes. I think they get funding from a variety of sources such as sponsors, partnerships, offering a training service etc. I see their logistics support service of the Beryl bikes as no different from any other council supplier.

Reactions: Adam
Jan 16, 2010
plymouth

thanks adam.