Brickfields gets go ahead | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Brickfields gets go ahead

May 4, 2012
Sunderland
I often share your cynicism regarding all things Argyle but in this particular case, I don't.

Nowadays, there isn't a successful and progressive club that doesn't have a facility similar to that envisaged for Argyle at Brickfields.
Only disappointing bit for me is that it's not part of the training ground, and is going to be a completely separate location. Apart from that I'd say it's very positive.

Jul 12, 2016
I often share your cynicism regarding all things Argyle but in this particular case, I don't.

Nowadays, there isn't a successful and progressive club that doesn't have a facility similar to that envisaged for Argyle at Brickfields.
Even in league 1🤔

Jon with no H

🚑 Steve Hooper
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 6, 2023
Bolton
Even in league 1🤔
There are 8 teams in League One this season that have been in the top flight relatively recently, so there are probably a number with this kind of facility.

Granted, few of them are all that successful at the moment, and at least one is the opposite of progressive, which is partly why Wycombe were trying to buy their training ground recently!

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
Perhaps it's a good time to remind people, ex Exeter academy players this week featured as a striker for our England team AND another one featured as a striker for the U21s.

Yep no reason why we can't be an even better hits factory. And Ethan Ampadu is some player too, got his 51st cap for Wales at age 23 😮

Jul 12, 2016
Are you implying that lower league teams shouldn't bother with youth development?

As per IJN's earlier post, I refer you to our friends up the road as to why it's so crucial to any team, not matter the level.
Strange how we are looking to develop our own talent but some of the better youngsters we have on loan aren’t up to championship standard.
Out of all the money spent on developing talent how many players actually make the grade? Is the investment worth it for the return?

Reactions: Pointblank
Nov 18, 2011
Strange how we are looking to develop our own talent but some of the better youngsters we have on loan aren’t up to championship standard.
Out of all the money spent on developing talent how many players actually make the grade? Is the investment worth it for the return?

Again with reference to Exeter, their academy has produced many first team players in recent times and also is a good source of income in terms of transfer fees received for academy players. Ask any of their fans if they feel the investment in the academy was a waste.

Jon with no H

🚑 Steve Hooper
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 6, 2023
Bolton
Surely that is all the more reason to be able to develop our own players to a higher standard.

This facility will also do a lot to mitigate against the next Ollie Watkins' parents deciding that Exeter City is a better bet for their son.

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London

I'd be pretty delighted if we produced players like Ashley Phillips and Alfie Devine, even if they might be struggling on the pitch at a very tricky time.

It's not even a debate, this project is desperately needed and also looks an amazing addition to the city.

Jul 12, 2016
I'd be pretty delighted if we produced players like Ashley Phillips and Alfie Devine, even if they might be struggling on the pitch at a very tricky time.

It's not even a debate, this project is desperately needed and also looks an amazing addition to the city.
I am playing devil’s advocate but if you worked out the cost of getting Phillips and Devine up to their current standard I suspect it is very expensive bearing in mind the hundreds who get similar backing and don’t make it.

Reactions: Pointblank
Jul 12, 2016
Surely that is all the more reason to be able to develop our own players to a higher standard.

This facility will also do a lot to mitigate against the next Ollie Watkins' parents deciding that Exeter City is a better bet for their son.
So Premier clubs can’t but we could?

Jon with no H

🚑 Steve Hooper
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 6, 2023
Bolton
So Premier clubs can’t but we could?
Why not? If nothing else, our own players will cost us less than loaning them from elsewhere.

At the same time, these loan players are playing in a team that is struggling in the Championship, so it's very hard for any of them to excel.

Mar 1, 2024
Wigan
Only disappointing bit for me is that it's not part of the training ground, and is going to be a completely separate location. Apart from that I'd say it's very positive.
Isn’t the plan for men’s women’s and academy to all be based there. That’s the model most clubs go for so it would be weird to spend the money and leave the men’s first team at harpers.

May 4, 2012
Sunderland
Isn’t the plan for men’s women’s and academy to all be based there. That’s the model most clubs go for so it would be weird to spend the money and leave the men’s first team at harpers.
I agree, but I haven't seen any mention at any point about the men's first team using the facilities there.

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London

Nope, Harpers will be the first team facility but development further down the priority list for now. I do wonder if the first team can use it sometimes in the meantime though, surely they would be able to.