Brief Synopsis!!! (Cambridge) | Page 9 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Brief Synopsis!!! (Cambridge)

Jul 12, 2016
Devongreenowl":1ay781tl said:
oldage":1ay781tl said:
I think you would find the reason some fans are losing patience is because we have already wasted a season after last year's debacle. People shout "get it forward" because we waste so much time faffing around at the back. If the players aren't up to it why persist in these tactics against teams like Cambridge?

I think you would find the reason some 'fans' are losing patience, is because they are miserable, moaning idiots in general, who are giving the team and management are hard time despite the fact they are very well placed for automatic promotion.

People shout 'get it forward' because they haven’t got a clue. What is so difficult to understand that when a team like Cambridge comes to defend, mostly with all 11 behind the ball that if you 'get it forward' it will almost certainly be headed or hoofed straight back out again.

Christ only knows what it must have been like on here and Plymouth Live last season, if this is what the likes of you are like when the team are doing well. Oh I forgot, it’s all been luck :facepalm:
2 days to find fault with my comments,you're slipping!
And there was me hoping that at long last you had returned to Sheffield where you belong. :facepalm:

Sep 6, 2006
Biggs":178bpf9y said:
League 2 is about managing your resources so that when looking at the big picture the positives outweigh the many negatives that come when you are in the fourth tier, only able to attract third and fourth tier players and unable to pay transfer fees or big wages. If you can develop some sort of footballing philosophy while getting results, as we have done, then even better.

I'd say Ryan Lowe is doing that pretty damn well, evidenced by us being top or near-top of the form table since a very understandable slow start, and now being four points off the top of the league (at the risk of going off-topic, but Derek Adams also did that damn well for at least 3 out of 4 seasons, but without developing an attacking footballing philosophy and without the new infrastructure supporting him.)

We really don't need lengthy post-mortems when all of us are aware there will always be major shortcomings at this level. Swindon, Crewe and Exeter fans will be seeing major issues in their teams too. This is League 2. Lots of defenders are slow. Lots of strikers can't finish consistently. Lots of midfielders disappear regularly.

Exactly. If they weren't slow or didnt make mistakes they wouldn't be in League 2. I am one who has concerns about our top 3 credentials but this Metal Green bloke bangs on about it day in day out with the some old arguments. He goes on and on about the defence. Actually only one team has let in less all season. How do you square that? Cant all be luck. And that is playing with attacking wing backs and 3 defenders. Perhaps that may be the reason why we are exposed sometimes. But he won't consider that! Then he says we have a good team but not good players. Make sense of that.

May 1, 2011
HC Green":3qh2h60n said:
Forest of Dean Green":3qh2h60n said:
Balham_Green":3qh2h60n said:
Forest of Dean Green":3qh2h60n said:
Imagine for a second you are Ryan Lowe and you cared to cast your eyes over this thread. You’ve got the team in 4th and right in the hunt after a dour season last season. You’ve got a bit of confidence in some players who were shot last season and brought good players including the best player in the league to Home Park. You’ve got the team playing football through the thirds, recycling and retaining possession, scoring and creating chances after a period of transition at the start of the season. And you read this moaning woe-is-me despondency. I’d say balls to you then and go somewhere that appreciated what I was trying to do. Perspective folks please. We have every chance.

:facepalm: yes Im sure if Lowe gets wind of this thread that a few of us have outrageously questioned Argyle's automatic promotion prospects he'll be off in a shot!

Rather literal interpretation of the post but hey ho. The point is, you may not feel there is huge regard for your efforts. If I wasn’t already on Pasoti and happened across it I’d probably keep away coming across, as it does sometimes, as a rest home for the perpetually disgruntled.

Haven’t people got the right to be disgruntled, all the hype from the Club and the media was that Argyle would be playing fast attacking attractive football but we aren’t seeing it.
I wouldn’t describe 63% possession and 1 shot on target as living up to that hype.
Apparently the players are tired and fatigued, just how many more games than the other teams have Argyle played in February and January?

We can disgruntled with Lowe this season but not a word can be said against last season's manager?

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
Balham_Green":1lpuq6wl said:
Biggs":1lpuq6wl said:
League 2 is about managing your resources so that when looking at the big picture the positives outweigh the many negatives that come when you are in the fourth tier, only able to attract third and fourth tier players and unable to pay transfer fees or big wages. If you can develop some sort of footballing philosophy while getting results, as we have done, then even better.

I'd say Ryan Lowe is doing that pretty damn well, evidenced by us being top or near-top of the form table since a very understandable slow start, and now being four points off the top of the league (at the risk of going off-topic, but Derek Adams also did that damn well for at least 3 out of 4 seasons, but without developing an attacking footballing philosophy and without the new infrastructure supporting him.)

We really don't need lengthy post-mortems when all of us are aware there will always be major shortcomings at this level. Swindon, Crewe and Exeter fans will be seeing major issues in their teams too. This is League 2. Lots of defenders are slow. Lots of strikers can't finish consistently. Lots of midfielders disappear regularly.

Exactly. If they weren't slow or didnt make mistakes they wouldn't be in League 2. I am one who has concerns about our top 3 credentials but this Metal Green bloke bangs on about it day in day out with the some old arguments. He goes on and on about the defence. Actually only one team has let in less all season. How do you square that? Cant all be luck. And that is playing with attacking wing backs and 3 defenders. Perhaps that may be the reason why we are exposed sometimes. But he won't consider that! Then he says we have a good team but not good players. Make sense of that.
I have to agree with you on that, Balham Green. Just to update some statistics that I looked at before the Macclesfield away game.
Results of league games when Sawyer, Canavan and Wootton have played together as a partnership :-
P22 W14 D5 L3 F40 A15 GD+25 Pts47
Whereas, when that partnership has been broken up due to injury, illness or suspension :-
P12 W4 D3 L5 F14 A22 GD-8 Pts15

It seems that, despite their lack of pace, they have performed pretty well together. Admittedly, this is in League 2 and they may not be so effective in League 1 but it does imply that, if they remain together for the remaining 12 games, we should have a reasonable chance of ‘automatics’.
Also, it seems that there is a good chance that Will Aimson will be back soon to support and challenge them if/when needed.

Mar 14, 2009
Knibbsworth":11ihkdd0 said:
So you know Argyle aren't a very good team, and can post 1000 word essays on why we won't get automatically promoted. But then don't know what a very good team looks like, and can't name one?

I didn’t name a very good side because l haven’t seen any side eg Swindon more than twice live (home and away). However, as l’ve seen so much league 1 and 2 football being an Argyle fan you get a impression for a teams standard & ability after watching them over 20 plus games. I compare this team l’ve seen to other Argyle sides under Warnock, Sturrock, Sheridan and Adams l’ve seen in this league. The playing style is different but overall you can use those experiences of those seasons and form an opinion to this current Argyle team. What did those teams have that this team perhaps doesn’t have? For example, Adams side had Bradley at the back, Sturrock’s side had Coughlan, Warnock’s side had Heathcote. They were the glue to the defensive unit of those sides. I don’t see that same standard of centre back in this current team to be that glue.

What is wrong with saying a Argyle are a good team, but they aren’t quite there yet? They may have been winning but in some games l have been unconvinced by their overall performance. That’s why my opinion is as it is.

If lm wrong Argyle will finish in the top 3. Happy days.

May 16, 2016
Metal_Green_Mickey":18i9sezw said:
Knibbsworth":18i9sezw said:
So you know Argyle aren't a very good team, and can post 1000 word essays on why we won't get automatically promoted. But then don't know what a very good team looks like, and can't name one?

I didn’t name a very good side because l haven’t seen any side eg Swindon more than twice live (home and away). However, as l’ve seen so much league 1 and 2 football being an Argyle fan you get a impression for a teams standard & ability after watching them over 20 plus games. I compare this team l’ve seen to other Argyle sides under Warnock, Sturrock, Sheridan and Adams l’ve seen in this league. The playing style is different but overall you can use those experiences of those seasons and form an opinion to this current Argyle team. What did those teams have that this team perhaps doesn’t have? For example, Adams side had Bradley at the back, Sturrock’s side had Coughlan, Warnock’s side had Heathcote. They were the glue to the defensive unit of those sides. I don’t see that same standard of centre back in this current team to be that glue.

What is wrong with saying a Argyle are a good team, but they aren’t quite there yet? They may have been winning but in some games l have been unconvinced by their overall performance. That’s why my opinion is as it is.

Fortunately for me at least, this Argyle aren't playing against any of the other Argyle sides with, Bradley, Coughlan or Heatchcote in them. I've only seen Swindon twice but saw enough to see why they were Top of this League.

This Argyles progression is relative to the other 22 Teams in the current League 2. Comparing their greatness to previous regimes is fine - in the Pub. They're not playing any of them this Season.

Wanted Barca but got Bognor ?

Jul 12, 2016
Metal_Green_Mickey":384pt0gf said:
Knibbsworth":384pt0gf said:

:thumbup:

Mar 14, 2009
Guiri Green":25vhp51x said:
Metal_Green_Mickey":25vhp51x said:
Knibbsworth":25vhp51x said:

Fortunately for me at least, this Argyle aren't playing against any of the other Argyle sides with, Bradley, Coughlan or Heatchcote in them. I've only seen Swindon twice but saw enough to see why they were Top of this League.

This Argyles progression is relative to the other 22 Teams in the current League 2. Comparing their greatness to previous regimes is fine - in the Pub. They're not playing any of them this Season.

I think you missed my point to be honest.

I mentioned those players, in those teams, because they all got promoted. Each one of those players were not only consistently good at defending but a leader in the team. The backbone of the side. Sawyer maybe gets a mention as a leader but he is no near the defensive quality levels of those 3 players. Defensively Canavan and Wootton are poor.

I don’t want perfection. In terms of football l like directness eg crosses and the passing game. Yet it’s not a criticism to say Argyle haven’t quite clicked yet as a team. I’ve not really criticised Lowe for the way we played this season. In fact l have praised him often. Sometimes you have to be patient to build a team and if you think this is a very good team that will get promoted then fair play. I can only be honest with what l’ve seen and hope lm wrong. I support the team and pray they get promoted. Yet when l come on here l just am honest with what l think.

You can support your team, want them to do well. Speaking of your opinion of the team and manager on a message board is completely different scenario. I think people honestly can’t separate the two acts because they feel your supporting the team in the manner you talk about them. For example, l lost faith in Adams last season. Yet at HP when he was managing l got behind him and the team. Then once the match was done l gave my opinion on what l saw on here.

Not everyone is black n white. Social media l find is strange because half the time people misinterpret what you say to fit in with their conclusion about you. The other half is that unless you don’t conform to their way of thinking they find a balanced, alternative view point hard to understand. People seem to either think your too “positive” or “negative”. You have to fit in a little box. The only thing ld say is you don’t need to be aggressive or rude to people.

I’m a “long winded”, opinionated Argyle fan l guess.

Jul 12, 2016
Metal_Green_Mickey":399mlmew said:
Guiri Green":399mlmew said:
Metal_Green_Mickey":399mlmew said:
Knibbsworth":399mlmew said:

I think you missed my point to be honest.

I mentioned those players, in those teams, because they all got promoted. Each one of those players were not only consistently good at defending but a leader in the team. The backbone of the side. Sawyer maybe gets a mention as a leader but he is no near the defensive quality levels of those 3 players. Defensively Canavan and Wootton are poor.

I don’t want perfection. In terms of football l like directness eg crosses and the passing game. Yet it’s not a criticism to say Argyle haven’t quite clicked yet as a team. I’ve not really criticised Lowe for the way we played this season. In fact l have praised him often. Sometimes you have to be patient to build a team and if you think this is a very good team that will get promoted then fair play. I can only be honest with what l’ve seen and hope lm wrong. I support the team and pray they get promoted. Yet when l come on here l just am honest with what l think.

You can support your team, want them to do well. Speaking of your opinion of the team and manager on a message board is completely different scenario. I think people honestly can’t separate the two acts because they feel your supporting the team in the manner you talk about them. For example, l lost faith in Adams last season. Yet at HP when he was managing l got behind him and the team. Then once the match was done l gave my opinion on what l saw on here.

Not everyone is black n white. Social media l find is strange because half the time people misinterpret what you say to fit in with their conclusion about you. The other half is that unless you don’t conform to their way of thinking they find a balanced, alternative view point hard to understand. People seem to either think your too “positive” or “negative”. You have to fit in a little box. The only thing ld say is you don’t need to be aggressive or rude to people.

I’m a “long winded”, opinionated Argyle fan l guess.
:thumbup:

May 8, 2011
Biggs":1adzmbyv said:

There is a real myth about Adams not being attack minded. The facts are that in our last year in League 2 his team scored as many goals after 34 games as the current team under the attack minded current manager.
Perhaps the difference is that Adams would change his tactics for a particular opposition, such as Liverpool at Anfield.

Aug 21, 2008
Plymouth
HC Green":3frq4bnb said:
Biggs":3frq4bnb said:

There is a real myth about Adams not being attack minded. The facts are that in our last year in League 2 his team scored as many goals after 34 games as the current team under the attack minded current manager.
Perhaps the difference is that Adams would change his tactics for a particular opposition, such as Liverpool at Anfield.

Some of the stuff we played in the "purple patches" under Adams was outstanding & IMHO compares favourably to the current regime.

Ted

Dec 8, 2003
Nottingham
Morecambe have 9 goals in their last 6 games compared to our 7, with a much more inferior side.

That being said we should stop comparing the two.

Mar 21, 2010
Plymouth
HC Green":litaop2t said:
Biggs":litaop2t said:

It is such a shame HC that your devotion to DA , prevents you from acknowledging that Ryan Lowe ( the attack minded current manager ) is also doing a good job , after 34 games in his first season here , his stats compare well with DA's first year , 62pts to DA's 64pts , 18 wins to DA's 19 wins , 54 goals scored to DA's 48 goals scored , +17 GD to DA's +20 , it will be interesting to see how these stats compare at the end of the season .