Brief Synopsis Lincoln | Page 3 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Brief Synopsis Lincoln

Tugboat

Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 24, 2007
Nobby":3fhdk61g said:
philevs":3fhdk61g said:
I shall be interested to hear Balham Green’s reply and expert explanation of what exactly are the (quote) “fundamental flaws to this squad” which he referred to.

I'm not BG, and often take a more positive outlook than he does, but I think he's right to say we have some fundamental flaws. How fundamental they are may differ depending on your opinion, however the ones I see:

- Tactically not very diverse
- Don't have an effective target man
- Defenders are not good enough on the ball.
- Unproven strikers at this level.
- Too reliant on Mayor for creativity.

The obvious fundamental problem is the Defence, but I think the Defence is better defensively and structurally than we saw in the opening couple of games. I think we still push the full backs slightly too high and that's going to lead to us conceding chances. Jorge Grant had particular fun down our wings on Tuesday. The biggest problem defensively for me is the ability of our Defenders to play out from the back. Canavan is good at it, Watts is comfortable with it, the rest not so much. Aimson has really disappointed me so far this season. I possibly expected too much based on limited appearances last year, but he has looked wasteful in possession (particularly long balls are bad) and he doesn't read the game particularly well. Opoku I like the look of defensively, but on the ball feel he has been sloppy so far, but that is based on limited minutes and as we are seeing with Kell Watts, he may sharpen up with more game time. Wootton, we all know his deficiencies. Prone to mistake and slow. However, he is confident stepping into midfield with the ball and if we are going to play a 3 at the back, it's important one of the outside centre backs does this well. It gets us up the pitch and creates space for the midfield players. Sheffield United are a particularly good example of it.

Tactically, I would like to see us consider playing a 4-3-3 or 4-2-3-1, as I feel this really would suit our personnel. Regardless of the formation, I would like to see us focus our play through the middle more. I think our midfield is our strength and often we either a) go over it, or b) go around it. The more Mayor is on the ball, the better we will be. When we're chasing late on, sacrificing a defender for a forward seems sensible. Whilst I respect Lowe's commitment to our "brand of football", i think he could be more flexible and apply it in a different formation. Changing to 4-3-3 doesn't mean we'll immediately turn into Wycombe (thank the lord).

In attack, I remain unconvinced by all of the options. Hardie has the most quality, but has made a slow start. Nouble, I don't quite see what others do, doesn't look particularly potent and hold up play seems pretty average to me. Telford is a cameo player. Abraham, yet to be determined. Jephcott has had injury problems but is amongst the goals. Probably the first choice for me, however. None of them have a record of scoring at L1 level and admittedly our chance creation has been limited, but lack of intelligent movement can be part of the reason for that. I would go with Hardie and Jephcott, personally, as they're the only pairing where I see evidence of chemistry. We are currently playing quite direct and need the forwards to retain possession better to bring the midfielders into play higher up. It's not happening and that's why as I've said above, I'd prefer us to play through the thirds more and get the midfield with the ball at their feet.

Creativity is the biggest issue, I think. Spamming crosses of mixed quality into the box appears to be our main avenue of attacking, but I don't think any of our forwards are particularly good in the air (Jephcott again probably best). We created one really good chance on Tuesday where Mayor slipped it through for Jephcott. That was a chance we created quite a few times last year and i'd like to see it more. Our final ball needs to improve. Mayor, Moore and Cooper have the quality to put it on a plate for the forwards, we've seen them do it, but right now it's to inconsistent.

Despite all of the above, there are also plenty of positives and generally our performances have been 'good', if not spectacular. The other thing is that a lot of other teams will also have 'fundamental flaws', if they didn't, they wouldn't be in League One. I don't think any of our flaws are fatal to our chances. They require a tweak in style (less direct and play through the middle more) and a tweak in structure (drop the wing backs a little deeper). Plenty to be positive about and as someone says above, so far our opening fixtures show we are a competitive side at this level. The aim this year will have been consolidation and we look capable of that on the evidence so far.

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Sep 6, 2006
philevs":3giay080 said:
I shall be interested to hear Balham Green’s reply and expert explanation of what exactly are the (quote) “fundamental flaws to this squad” which he referred to.

Well thank you kindly sir. Nobby has covered most of it very competently but I'll add a couple of my own thoughts. How's Jephcott's 4 goals a game working out?

Sep 6, 2006
Herts_Green":3fbkgzgi said:
I’m afraid Balham Green expects us to win every game. And actually more than that, just winning isn’t enough, because if we dare to give the opposition a couple of decent chances in a game which they then don’t take then apparently we are lucky to win those games.

Everything I’ve seen from Argyle this season so far points to what I thought would happen before the season started - that we will finish in a comfortable mid table position. Which personally I will be very pleased with. Unfortunately some, like Balham, will see that as a failure.

Would be very happy with mid table on what I have seen so far. Obviously I DON'T expect us to win every game. HOWEVER it would be nice to get at least one shot on target(in either of last 2 away games). Not too much to ask is it?

Sep 6, 2006
Nobby":f6kzwcog said:
philevs":f6kzwcog said:

I'm not BG, and often take a more positive outlook than he does, but I think he's right to say we have some fundamental flaws. How fundamental they are may differ depending on your opinion, however the ones I see:

- Tactically not very diverse
- Don't have an effective target man
- Defenders are not good enough on the ball.
- Unproven strikers at this level.
- Too reliant on Mayor for creativity.

The obvious fundamental problem is the Defence, but I think the Defence is better defensively and structurally than we saw in the opening couple of games. I think we still push the full backs slightly too high and that's going to lead to us conceding chances. Jorge Grant had particular fun down our wings on Tuesday. The biggest problem defensively for me is the ability of our Defenders to play out from the back. Canavan is good at it, Watts is comfortable with it, the rest not so much. Aimson has really disappointed me so far this season. I possibly expected too much based on limited appearances last year, but he has looked wasteful in possession (particularly long balls are bad) and he doesn't read the game particularly well. Opoku I like the look of defensively, but on the ball feel he has been sloppy so far, but that is based on limited minutes and as we are seeing with Kell Watts, he may sharpen up with more game time. Wootton, we all know his deficiencies. Prone to mistake and slow. However, he is confident stepping into midfield with the ball and if we are going to play a 3 at the back, it's important one of the outside centre backs does this well. It gets us up the pitch and creates space for the midfield players. Sheffield United are a particularly good example of it.

Tactically, I would like to see us consider playing a 4-3-3 or 4-2-3-1, as I feel this really would suit our personnel. Regardless of the formation, I would like to see us focus our play through the middle more. I think our midfield is our strength and often we either a) go over it, or b) go around it. The more Mayor is on the ball, the better we will be. When we're chasing late on, sacrificing a defender for a forward seems sensible. Whilst I respect Lowe's commitment to our "brand of football", i think he could be more flexible and apply it in a different formation. Changing to 4-3-3 doesn't mean we'll immediately turn into Wycombe (thank the lord).

In attack, I remain unconvinced by all of the options. Hardie has the most quality, but has made a slow start. Nouble, I don't quite see what others do, doesn't look particularly potent and hold up play seems pretty average to me. Telford is a cameo player. Abraham, yet to be determined. Jephcott has had injury problems but is amongst the goals. Probably the first choice for me, however. None of them have a record of scoring at L1 level and admittedly our chance creation has been limited, but lack of intelligent movement can be part of the reason for that. I would go with Hardie and Jephcott, personally, as they're the only pairing where I see evidence of chemistry. We are currently playing quite direct and need the forwards to retain possession better to bring the midfielders into play higher up. It's not happening and that's why as I've said above, I'd prefer us to play through the thirds more and get the midfield with the ball at their feet.

Creativity is the biggest issue, I think. Spamming crosses of mixed quality into the box appears to be our main avenue of attacking, but I don't think any of our forwards are particularly good in the air (Jephcott again probably best). We created one really good chance on Tuesday where Mayor slipped it through for Jephcott. That was a chance we created quite a few times last year and i'd like to see it more. Our final ball needs to improve. Mayor, Moore and Cooper have the quality to put it on a plate for the forwards, we've seen them do it, but right now it's to inconsistent.

Despite all of the above, there are also plenty of positives and generally our performances have been 'good', if not spectacular. The other thing is that a lot of other teams will also have 'fundamental flaws', if they didn't, they wouldn't be in League One. I don't think any of our flaws are fatal to our chances. They require a tweak in style (less direct and play through the middle more) and a tweak in structure (drop the wing backs a little deeper). Plenty to be positive about and as someone says above, so far our opening fixtures show we are a competitive side at this level. The aim this year will have been consolidation and we look capable of that on the evidence so far.

I agree with most of that except re Nouble. He has been our most consistently effective striker and needs to start but he has his limitations(doesn't win that many headers). To me the balance of the squad isn't right. Too many Midfielders of the same ilk. Good passers of the ball but not much else. Too many unproven inexperienced forwards. Too many slow defenders. Apart from that all is well. :facepalm:
Final point. We really need to get the ball forward quicker.

Feb 8, 2005
Balham_Green":fsxsqoxz said:
philevs":fsxsqoxz said:

Well thank you kindly sir. Nobby has covered most of it very competently but I'll add a couple of my own thoughts. How's Jephcott's 4 goals a game working out?

Hardly fundamental flaws, Balham, more like a different view of tactics.

Lowe has his own way of playing and he is not going to change wholesale, regardless of what we supporters put forward.

Last season we didn't exactly come out of the blocks at the start of the season, but we progressed as the season went on and some even think it could have been likely that we could have challenged for top spot had the season not come to a premature end.

I don't anticipate such a likely recurrence this season, but I bet we improve as the season goes on, as the players begin to gel again. We have had new additions to the squad and we are in a higher league, and this will also be new for the coaching staff too, don't forget. They may not get the tactics right every time.

We will win some and we will lose some, we will be good in some games and not so good in others. Just the same as a lot of other teams in the league, but it is how we finish the season, Balham, not how we start.

Sep 6, 2006
jimsing":16n1p837 said:
Balham_Green":16n1p837 said:
philevs":16n1p837 said:

Hardly fundamental flaws, Balham, more like a different view of tactics.

Lowe has his own way of playing and he is not going to change wholesale, regardless of what we supporters put forward.

Last season we didn't exactly come out of the blocks at the start of the season, but we progressed as the season went on and some even think it could have been likely that we could have challenged for top spot had the season not come to a premature end.

I don't anticipate such a likely recurrence this season, but I bet we improve as the season goes on, as the players begin to gel again. We have had new additions to the squad and we are in a higher league, and this will also be new for the coaching staff too, don't forget. They may not get the tactics right every time.

We will win some and we will lose some, we will be good in some games and not so good in others. Just the same as a lot of other teams in the league, but it is how we finish the season, Balham, not how we start.

Actually you get the same number of points at the start of the season as the end! And you think other teams don't have new players settling in?
So defenders without pace, midfielders of similar ilk, strikers with no experience at this level? That not fundamental flaws but a 'different view of tactics'?!? :crazy: Suggest you read the post properly. I know you want to maintain your stance but.

Feb 8, 2005
Your views on the differing attributes of our players is no different to the differing attributes of the players at other clubs.

I accept that nobody playing for PAFC is perfect. You obviously want them all to be.

All professional footballers of our league standard, have positive and negative attributes. It is the blending of these attributes that the coaching staff have to take into account when they decide their tactics of how they want the game to be played.

Nobby's preferred change to a back four system of play is NOT tactics???

Maybe you ought to read Nobby's post again.

Oct 5, 2013
Balham_Green":3k8lkdw3 said:
philevs":3k8lkdw3 said:

Still no details given of exactly what Balham Green meant by “fundamental flaws to this squad”.

Sep 6, 2006
jimsing":1pc3tsa8 said:
Your views on the differing attributes of our players is no different to the differing attributes of the players at other clubs.

I accept that nobody playing for PAFC is perfect. You obviously want them all to be.

All professional footballers of our league standard, have positive and negative attributes. It is the blending of these attributes that the coaching staff have to take into account when they decide their tactics of how they want the game to be played.

You asked for fundamental flaws. I have referred to inadequacies at the back, in midfield and up front!! So no idea why you are referring to tactics in Nobby's post??? Not going to say it again. You are either daft, confused or being difficult. I suspect all 3.
You also suggest we have the same flaws as everybody else. Really. Have you studied in depth the other squads? Have you watched them every week? No thought not.

Sep 6, 2006
philevs":1s442ajw said:
Balham_Green":1s442ajw said:
philevs":1s442ajw said:

Still no details given of exactly what Balham Green meant by “fundamental flaws to this squad”.

I suggest you read the thread properly. Or go to Specsavers.

Feb 8, 2005
Balham_Green":1t6y6aul said:
jimsing":1t6y6aul said:

You asked for fundamental flaws. I have referred to inadequacies at the back, in midfield and up front!! So no idea why you are referring to tactics in Nobby's post??? Not going to say it again. You are either daft, confused or being difficult. I suspect all 3.
You also suggest we have the same flaws as everybody else. Really. Have you studied in depth the other squads? Have you watched them every week? No thought not.

If you are not going to discuss these things sensibly, without making derogatory remarks, then this discussion has come to an end, Balham, old boy.

Sep 6, 2006
jimsing":oufeyrii said:
Balham_Green":oufeyrii said:
jimsing":oufeyrii said:

If you are not going to discuss these things sensibly, without making derogatory remarks, then this discussion has come to an end, Balham, old boy.

What do you expect when you keep asking the same question?!

Oct 5, 2013
Balham_Green":2rkg9cwq said:
philevs":2rkg9cwq said:
Balham_Green":2rkg9cwq said:
philevs":2rkg9cwq said:

I have read the thread properly. And there is nothing from you saying exactly what you meant. You appear to want to ride on the back of Nobby’s excellent piece. You also say there are inadequacies throughout the team. This is not precise enough. You talked about the squad, so who in the squad are you referring to? What are your own views, that led you to say there are “fundamental flaws to the squad”?

Sep 6, 2006
philevs":4bzxwpqe said:
Balham_Green":4bzxwpqe said:
Balham_Green":4bzxwpqe said:

I have read the thread properly. And there is nothing from you saying exactly what you meant. You appear to want to ride on the back of Nobby’s excellent piece. You also say there are inadequacies throughout the team. This is not precise enough. You talked about the squad, so who in the squad are you referring to? What are your own views, that led you to say there are “fundamental flaws to the squad”?

I know you want the last word but you are on a wind up now right? Either that or you can't understand a simple post.

Oct 5, 2013
Balham_Green":1p7tvcj0 said:
philevs":1p7tvcj0 said:

I know you want the last word but you are on a wind up now right? Either that or you can't understand a simple post.

No, I’m not on a wind up, I’d just like to read, from you, precisely what you mean when you say there are “fundamental flaws to this squad”.