Brief synopsis | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Brief synopsis

Mar 15, 2007
Plymouth
Sparkypete":37wxlmx4 said:
Likewise, I was disappointed to see Camara subbed unless injured. It seems Lowe is punishing certain players immediately after mistakes. Forna and Hardie v Pompey and today Camara and Aimson. On plus side weā€™ve only lost 3 and if we win Tuesday anyone would take 3 points from two tough consecutive away games. A big IF I hasten to add!

As fans, weā€™ve been the first to slam the players for copious individual errors, which have already cost us points this season. If players are having a bad day, whoever they are, they have to be hooked if required. Camara was awful in the first 10, although I would suspect he was not 100%. Aimson was deservedly substituted. Heā€™s been poor most of the season and today was no better. Heā€™s just lucky that his backup is Wootton is worse.

As for the OP saying management selected the wrong players... nobody had a good game. Inclusive of the five players who came on. Thatā€™s the majority of the squad being used and underperforming so I donā€™t think the starting 11 really matters today.

Today was a mentality issue as much as anything. Inferiority complex on the road. As soon as the first went in it was curtains. We can pick holes in the formation or playing style till the cows come home, but if the team canā€™t cope with going 1-0 down away from home, we donā€™t stand a chance regardless of what system we play.

Management need to have a serious rethink about what we are doing away from home. From personnel, formation, style, travel arrangements, pre-match and whatever else. Everything. Because whatever we are doing now is simply not working and it will stop us doing anything positive this year.

Last year when we got spanked up the road, we bounced back exceptionally. Letā€™s hope we can do so again.

Nov 11, 2020
My point with Camara is that he would not have started if not fit and the humiliation of being dragged off at that time could have a massive negative impact. Lowe panicked only 3 players completed the whole game in same position, reminiscent of Adamā€™sā€™ failures during our awful Tuesday night home game run.

Sep 6, 2006
Nobby":x30dvpn2 said:
Sparkypete":x30dvpn2 said:
Likewise, I was disappointed to see Camara subbed unless injured. It seems Lowe is punishing certain players immediately after mistakes. Forna and Hardie v Pompey and today Camara and Aimson. On plus side weā€™ve only lost 3 and if we win Tuesday anyone would take 3 points from two tough consecutive away games. A big IF I hasten to add!

As fans, weā€™ve been the first to slam the players for copious individual errors, which have already cost us points this season. If players are having a bad day, whoever they are, they have to be hooked if required. Camara was awful in the first 10, although I would suspect he was not 100%. Aimson was deservedly substituted. Heā€™s been poor most of the season and today was no better. Heā€™s just lucky that his backup is Wootton is worse.

As for the OP saying management selected the wrong players... nobody had a good game. Inclusive of the five players who came on. Thatā€™s the majority of the squad being used and underperforming so I donā€™t think the starting 11 really matters today.

Today was a mentality issue as much as anything. Inferiority complex on the road. As soon as the first went in it was curtains. We can pick holes in the formation or playing style till the cows come home, but if the team canā€™t cope with going 1-0 down away from home, we donā€™t stand a chance regardless of what system we play.

Management need to have a serious rethink about what we are doing away from home. From personnel, formation, style, travel arrangements, pre-match and whatever else. Everything. Because whatever we are doing now is simply not working and it will stop us doing anything positive this year.

Last year when we got spanked up the road, we bounced back exceptionally. Letā€™s hope we can do so again.

You say its 'mentality issue' then you talk about personnel, formation etc. Make up your mind. Were you not watching? 1. We were not good enough technically; 2. We were out-muscled ALL OVER THE PITCH. Not difficult to see.

Mar 15, 2007
Plymouth
Thereā€™s no ā€œmaking up my mindā€ required. They are all issues, as I have stated. I said mentality is an issue ā€œas much as anythingā€. Thatā€™s not saying the other things donā€™t matter, simply that the mentality on the road, evidenced today, is a huge problem. As soon as the first went in, heads went down and that was it.

But the performance was so bad that I donā€™t think it mattered what system we set up with. But as a wider issue our away form is very poor and clearly our standard setup is not working, so a rethink is required.

And yes I was watching. Did you see a team that looked full of belief it could come back into the game? A team that looked focussed and composed? I certainly didnā€™t. You can have all the technical quality in the world, but if you write the game off after going a couple goals behind itā€™s completely irrelevant.

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
āœ… Evergreen
šŸŽ« S.T. Donor šŸŽ«
āœØPasoti DonorāœØ
šŸŒŸSparksy MuralšŸŒŸ
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
mde203":ddqiyil2 said:
Today was awful across the board.

However, we're sat in the top half of the league and have played well for much of the season. Today is the first really poor league performance this year.

Yes it needs to be addressed because it wasn't acceptable, but let's see it in the context of a very successful start to the season and not get too carried away with the negativity.

This.

And last time we got smashed away from home, we went on a promotion winning run.

Now to worry about yet.

Sep 2, 2008
Nobby":129t67fr said:
Thereā€™s no ā€œmaking up my mindā€ required. They are all issues, as I have stated. I said mentality is an issue ā€œas much as anythingā€. Thatā€™s not saying the other things donā€™t matter, simply that the mentality on the road, evidenced today, is a huge problem. As soon as the first went in, heads went down and that was it.

But the performance was so bad that I donā€™t think it mattered what system we set up with. But as a wider issue our away form is very poor and clearly our standard setup is not working, so a rethink is required.

And yes I was watching. Did you see a team that looked full of belief it could come back into the game? A team that looked focussed and composed? I certainly didnā€™t. You can have all the technical quality in the world, but if you write the game off after going a couple goals behind itā€™s completely irrelevant.

Agreed. The other thing that concerns me is that Lowe says in his interview that the players are gutted but I'm not sure that can be said for all of them. After Byron 'passed' his clearance to the Fleetwood player on the edge of the box to smash it in he didn't seem that bothered to me. The same can be said about Dom Telford on Monday against Portsmouth: He was caught with his mind in neutral when the player he was meant to be picking up strolled forward and smashed in the slashed clearance from Fornah. After the goal he didn't look too bothered as he was walking back to the halfway line despite Danny Mayor giving him a mouthful. We don't play with any passion or desire. After teams score against them or one of them cocks up they dont seem to be bothered. Its almost a case of 'oh well' lets get back to the halfway line so we can get the game underway again. Complete indifference. Equate that with the Fleetwood centre back after we scored our goal. He showed more passion in that one instance by kicking the upright than any of our lot over the whole 90 mins. I wonder if Lowe is just too pally with them. Familiarity breeds contempt. He needs to remember that he is their boss not their friend. I'm not saying you can't be friends with your boss but sometimes if you get too friendly you cant deliver the bo**@cking thats needed.

Jul 6, 2011
Sparkypete":1m7yr0js said:

He was awful in that time, I'm convinced if he'd stayed on we would have been 5-0 down by halftime let alone the 84th minute. He's not a bad player It just wasn't his day

Jun 18, 2005
born St. Columb, Cornwall
Balham_Green":31qoc41w said:
Nobby":31qoc41w said:
Sparkypete":31qoc41w said:

You say its 'mentality issue' then you talk about personnel, formation etc. Make up your mind. Were you not watching? 1. We were not good enough technically; 2. We were out-muscled ALL OVER THE PITCH. Not difficult to see.

I completely agree, we were also too slow to the ball, gave too much room to their players and looked tactically way out of our depth. That was the most outplayed I have seen an Argyle side for many years. Men against boys, I'm afraid to say.

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
šŸ† Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
āœØPasoti DonorāœØ
šŸŒŸSparksy MuralšŸŒŸ
Oct 31, 2010
Pottypilgrim":2tg7arzo said:
Nobby":2tg7arzo said:

Agreed. The other thing that concerns me is that Lowe says in his interview that the players are gutted but I'm not sure that can be said for all of them. After Byron 'passed' his clearance to the Fleetwood player on the edge of the box to smash it in he didn't seem that bothered to me. The same can be said about Dom Telford on Monday against Portsmouth: He was caught with his mind in neutral when the player he was meant to be picking up strolled forward and smashed in the slashed clearance from Fornah. After the goal he didn't look too bothered as he was walking back to the halfway line despite Danny Mayor giving him a mouthful. We don't play with any passion or desire. After teams score against them or one of them cocks up they dont seem to be bothered. Its almost a case of 'oh well' lets get back to the halfway line so we can get the game underway again. Complete indifference. Equate that with the Fleetwood centre back after we scored our goal. He showed more passion in that one instance by kicking the upright than any of our lot over the whole 90 mins. I wonder if Lowe is just too pally with them. Familiarity breeds contempt. He needs to remember that he is their boss not their friend. I'm not saying you can't be friends with your boss but sometimes if you get too friendly you cant deliver the bo**@cking thats needed.

To add to that excellent post - just before Moore's 'clearance' Mayor and Edwards made no attempt to stop the cross coming in. Highlights.

Something wasn't right today, the whole team seemed to be affected by something.
Hopefully it's just a one off.

demportdave

šŸŒ Bomber Harris.
Jul 6, 2005
It's not a surprise or a disgrace to lose away at Fleetwood, but the way we lost today was extremely disappointing.

Lowe got many things wrong today with both the team he selected and the tactics he employed and apart from another very good finish from Jephcott, the only other positive that came out of today was that performances such as this are why Lowe will not be getting a job at a Championship club any time soon, which is good news for Argyle fans. He still has much to learn and hopefully, he will learn it as the Argyle Manager.

Generally, Lowe's thinking that if they score 2, we'll score 3 mostly works against the mid and lower-table teams but not against the better teams. Whereas Barton had Fleetwood set up to stop Argyle, particularly in the wide areas, they still did pretty much what they wanted to do themselves, especially in the way that they pressed us in our own half.

What on earth was Lowe thinking in playing Telford as a lone striker, a player who usually has just one or two touches and moves the ball on, that role should have gone to Nouble who was totally ineffective stuck out wide right. He is far more stronger and more suited than Telford for playing with his back to goal and holding the ball up.

Whilst there were some good finishes from Fleetwood, all 5 goals were gift wrapped by Argyle. I'm sure everyone is working hard on the training ground but Lowe's inability to cut out these regular shocking individual defensive errors is a real worry.

In midfield, we have a lot of options from our large squad, yet Lowe hasn't signed anyone who can put their foot in and show a bit of aggression and that was very apparent today.

Not looking forwad to Tuesday night, can't see Peterborough losing back to back home games.

Oct 14, 2015
5 substitutes used in first 45 minutes smacks of RL totally panicking unless any of them were forced.

Heā€™ll learn a lot today about his management skills or lack of them and probably more about his players.

Very bad day at the office by everyone today.