Brief Synopsis | Page 3 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Brief Synopsis

Sep 16, 2009
Bournemouth
If the season had finished in February I would’ve been fairly happy despite the autumn losing run but the last three months have been so awful it leaves a bad taste. I’m another fan of Lowe who now has serious doubts that he’s the man to take us forward. Is his style of football just too naive for this level? I wonder if we need someone experienced at league one and who has won promotion from there in the past? Someone like Torquay’s Gary Johnson? But anyway the chairman won’t be changing the manager so we’ll just have to see how things go next season and hopefully Ryan and Argyle will improve - frankly they can’t get worse than the last 15 games or so.

Aug 8, 2013
xmastree":3498rp1u said:
Gary S":3498rp1u said:
A few thoughts...

was that an arm to the head, or did it just look that way ?
If Reeves was playing for a contract, I'd say he earned one;
my man of the match;
Tomlinson looked very assured, and is good in the air;
Law acquitted himself well against another difficult opponent;
Cooper was faultless, and is one of our better passers of the ball;
Mayor seemed upset at Watts's injury, and played little further part in the game;
Fornah made a decent fist of things in an unaccustomed position;
Hardie put in a fine shift;
and once again, our build-up was predictable, our set-pieces
totally unthreatening, and our delivery largely poor, and no-one attacked
the occasional decent ball into the box that we did conjure up.
We have a long way to go, but bring on whoever we get in the opener.

Disagree with giving Reeves a contract on the strength of today. It's got to be looked at over the season as a whole he's done nowhere near enough. People will say he hasn't had the opportunity, but that has to be earned. He's generally failed to get a starting berth in a side crying out for experience and creativity. I don't think it's helped him that on the majority of his regular sub appearances he has played as a defensive / holding midfielder which isn't his natural game.

At his peak with Milton Keynes, Reeves was a good L1 attacking midfielder, mobile, creative and capable of scoring his share. Sadly he's lost pace and mobility. He's been neat and tidy, but creates little threat. Although only 29, he has the look of an older, fading player. Being blunt, there's no pace, no physical presence, no killer pass, little goal threat. Thanks for his efforts but we can, and must, find better.

xmastree, I don't recall seeing Reeves play before he came to us, so I'll believe you when you say that he's not the player he used to be. Based on yesterday's performance, however, I'd say he's at least as good as anything we currently have, and could still be a useful member of the squad. He picked up a lot of the ball in midfield, and moved it on pretty well, and he does have a decent shot on him, though his corners were awful. Like you, however, I hope we can also find better.

Apr 5, 2008
3 points off the Play-offs on 13th February after 28 games, with 43 points,and Oxford and Blackpool below us, 18 games later 3 more wins, 3 draws and 12 defeats to finish 19 points off the play offs, and only 10 more points.And Blackpool, Oxford in the Play-offs.

Absolutely disgraceful, should Ryan Lowe even be the manager anymore?

Larry David

✅ Evergreen
Apr 9, 2004
LA NY or Cuckfield
moles40":2hkiy09b said:
3 points off the Play-offs on 13th February after 28 games, with 43 points,and Oxford and Blackpool below us, 18 games later 3 more wins, 3 draws and 12 defeats to finish 19 points off the play offs, and only 10 more points.And Blackpool, Oxford in the Play-offs.

His failure to recruit experienced centre backs was crucial in my opinion. He says he has loads of options to sign players well kids being sent on loan doesn’t count as recruitment in my book. Can he recruit decent experienced players that didn’t used to play for bury? Time will tell.

mutley marvel

Cream First
✅ Evergreen
Feb 13, 2021
moles40":1rjcf1e9 said:

In the cold light of day- those facts are embarrassing (regardless of the excuses RL spouted during the season)

in normal life - if you were not performing in your job would you still have a job (probably not)

Will the new breed of Argyle player RL craves so much change any of the above- i guess we will have to wait & see

He may get better upgrades in the player department but will he be upgrading his skill set re coaching, tactics, plan B because i dont think i can stomach another season of the blame game when he has public meltdowns & blames the players

If he cannot admit his shortcomings & failings no amount of upgraded players will paper over is management defencies

Sep 2, 2008
Two incidents yesterday showed what our problem has been for most of the season...woeful at both ends. Our defending and striking is Sunday league. Ennis completely missed one he should have slotted from the pull back from Hardie and the pinball in our box where 3 Argyle players contrived to lay the ball beautifully in front of Lee to have a shot that he should have scored was an absolute joke.

I really think we are in for a difficult time next season as Lowe has so much to put right not only on the player front but also to address his and his staffs' inadequacies.

Penlee

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🍌 Bomber Harris.
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Nov 9, 2011
Stoke in Plymouth
Tugboat":2c41lizl said:
Penlee":2c41lizl said:
Their goal looked well offside

Straws and clutching spring to mind.

Maybe if we had the confidence and conviction to score a goal ourselves we wouldn’t be naturally searching for these excuses game after game.

Jephcott needs to go back out on loan because he’s an empty man right now.

Agreed and I take it back anyway :greensmile:

Pogleswoody

R.I.P
Jul 3, 2006
Location Location
moles40":1lernwxt said:

Yes, we should employ the manager who got us that close to the play offs in February. Who was that?? :think:

justanotherfan

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🍌 Bomber Harris.
🚑 Steve Hooper
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 4, 2012
Plymouth
Dreamgreen":2k9xq5cy said:
Dead rubber, dead lucky, dead happy … which will it be ? What of the team ? Will we play the under 18´s ? Will we still struggle and lose, or will we hopefully catch a Kent variant for a change and win ?

Tomlinson comes in in what looks like a 4-4-2. Ennis and Hardie up front. Reeves and Fornah offering protection to the centre backs Tomlinson and Watts. No Grant. The bench looks, well, different ! Craske, Mitchell, Pursall and Lolos. Will Luke get a final game to reach his milestone and Cooper finishes the season as a starter in every league game ?

The game got off to an awful start with Watts taking a blow on the head within a minute, and, after oxygen was applied, he was carried off, with the game being held up for 12 minutes. (It was noticeable not a single member of the Gillingham dug out clapped him off – Steve Evans for you !).

Moore came on and Fornah switched to centre back. With Gillingham´s direct approach it was always likely that arial threats and physicality would be an issue for us and so it turned out. On “27” minutes, Gills cleverly broke down the right and the cross came in and Oliver got the final header in almost on the goal line. Ogilvie was also launches throw ins from 30 yards, each of which caused us concern.

We had a couple of chances from free kicks, one was close from Reeves, which took a slight deflection and went just over the bar. The other taken by Hardie seemed to be mishit and hit the wall.

I thought Reeves had a good first half, probably his best 45 minutes for Argyle so far. Gary Nelson was also excellent on co-comms.

The second half was largely half paced. Argyle did have two gilt-edged chances. The first from a Hardie cross which Ennis was unable to get good contact on from two yards out. The second was a good chance from Moore who rounded the keeper but shot wide following a good cross from Mayor.

Cooper made one great save in the 48th minute when Lee was presented with a chance following a pin ball by three Argyle defenders, but that was pretty much all he had to do.

Reeves was booked on 54 minutes.

Jephcott and Lolos came on for Moore and Ennis on 67 minutes and Craske and Luke came on in 86 minutes. Luke making his 350th appearance. Well done Luke. Well done also to Tomlinson and Law who both showed well in this game.

MoM Cooper

End of an up and down season for Argyle. Good news - we will still be playing the Gobshites of Pompous next year and not Excreta.

Roll on recruitment.

As much as I think Evans is the most detestable manager in the EFL, he clearly clapped Watts off as he was stretchered out.