Callum Wright appreciation post | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Callum Wright appreciation post

Dec 26, 2022
C Wright is not for me personally, partic at Champ level, where I see more weaknesses than strengths in his game, but appreciate we all have a blind spot for our favourites....!

Apr 5, 2012
He's good enough to be a squad player but not rely on him to be a creative force, he's not amazing or terrible. We don't have the resources to have better back up players in my opinion

NLG

✅ Evergreen
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Jan 16, 2006
Has been unlucky with injury timings and doesn't always look to be putting in 100% effort, but when he is fit and pushes himself, like he did when he came on against Hull, then he is a good player.

Also, I was told he raised the flag on IF to SH, if so we are forever in his debt.

Reactions: Belfast Green

TaviGreen1990

✅ Evergreen
Nov 3, 2022
I think it’s simple the Wright. Play him in the number 10 role and he is good enough. Good touch and vision. Not afraid to try something. On the wing or back in the centre of midfield he’s no good. Which is where SS and IF played him this season unfortunately.

Apr 15, 2024
Too easily brushed off the ball
Not good enough for Championship. Got to start being realistic
We've finished just 1 place above the drop.
Huge squad rebuild needed

• Unlike
Reactions: vibratingspider

GreenBiker

🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 24, 2019
Wright has had a stop/start season.
He was in the starting 11 at the start of the season, ahead of Azaz and then was a substitute coming on late in games. He picked up an injury but when he returned to fitness Foster froze him out.

I like him and I hope he stays and plays a big part next season.

It didn't seem it at the time on Saturday but Bundu getting injured helped us win the game. No disrespect to Bundu but he would have taken that ball and run at the defence because that's his game, instead Wright looked up and had the vision to cross the perfect ball to Edwards.
Virtually the 1st thing I said to the guys near me on Saturday, there was no way Bundu would have played that ball. Football is strange sometimes

Reactions: vibratingspider
Sep 7, 2006
London
I'm so glad this thread exists. I've defended him a few times this season.

Whilst he struggled here and there, the critics seemed too harsh, plus he had a disruptive injury and then couldn't get a much-needed run of games in the starting XI.

He couldn't compare to the form of Azaz, but then ultimately we couldn't afford Azaz, whilst we can afford players like Wright (MW and Mumba are the exceptions to what we can afford as far as I'm concerned).

He's also just pretty decent (when on form). He's a goal threat, comfortable on the ball, but also very hard working and unselfish which can be a trade off when it comes to no.10s / forwards.

All that said, we need to prioritise signings in that area of the pitch for next season. Particularly given strikers seem to be scarce, next best thing is an array of no.10s and wing forwards.

Dec 9, 2012
one of my favourite players,the header at shrewsbury and THAT ball to joe 90 are just two of his superb moments.
Whatever his strengths and areas for development I totally agree with this comment. When the horrible memory of the miserable team performance at Bristol City has faded, those two memories will always be there.

My sofa has never recovered from my ecstatic leap from it when he headed the winner against Shrewsbury, and it was similarly tested just before half time last Saturday.

Callum Wright has provided two of my all time favourite Argyle moments.