Carey free kicks | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Carey free kicks

Daz

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
Pasoti Quiz Champions
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 30, 2003
BadBoy":13szerod said:
Some rubbish talked on this thread, I doubt there is a club in this division that wouldn't want GC in their squad.

Should have stopped there.

Aug 11, 2013
I assume the OP is talking about direct free kicks aimed at the goal .. in which case he has a point.

Last season when we won a corner, it felt like a real goal scoring opportunity. Lot of good movement in the box and we were always a threat. Whether its because defenses are better in league 1 or Carey's delivery is not so pinpoint I don't know but I no longer see them as the goal scoring opportunities they were last year either.

justanotherfan

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🍌 Bomber Harris.
🚑 Steve Hooper
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 4, 2012
Plymouth
GC10 is typical of mortal flair players in that he is not always able to make it happen, but what a work rate, win, lose or draw, always 100%. He gets targeted and is not always adequately protected by the officials so he sometimes over reacts. If I took the stick that he does then I would end up goffering someone. :twisted:

Sep 6, 2006
Daz":3t097e92 said:
BadBoy":3t097e92 said:
Some rubbish talked on this thread, I doubt there is a club in this division that wouldn't want GC in their squad.

You disagree with second sentence? I think we are lucky to have him. Just think we need to try something different from free kicks. Never works.

Aug 24, 2014
Plymouth
The Doctor":5j3uj7wv said:
I agree, Carey does SEEM to have become overly-focused on winning free-kicks lately - something which tends to create a vicious circle because refs seem not to give freekicks the more a player looks for them and then the player becomes frustrated with the refs and looks for them even more. Carey is at his best when he just tries to run through and lets the opposition players hack him down (this was particularly noticeable in the first few games of the season I thought).

I wonder if it's related to the toll of being hacked away at for most of a season, could he be one playing at 85%?

Feb 25, 2008
On the corners, I don't know why he is just floating them in now. It's as if he doesn't have a specific target, like now that we are (were) playing through teams we are not working in training on getting Bradley on the end of a set piece anymore. I prefer it when GC10 "fizzes" them across or aims them for a very specific point where he knows Sonny is going to be, like at 2:33 here. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsq-RjZjtQs (For free-kick goals, see 2:45 to 2:55 - none recently though).

Aug 5, 2016
Balham has a point. Carey's left foot is masterful from long range shots, short range finishes, crosses, passes etc. But he's not as good as you'd expect from dead ball situations.

Daz

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
Pasoti Quiz Champions
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 30, 2003
Balham_Green":2dnfiqye said:
Daz":2dnfiqye said:
BadBoy":2dnfiqye said:

You disagree with second sentence? I think we are lucky to have him. Just think we need to try something different from free kicks. Never works.

No, I agree with his first sentence.

How many free kicks has he taken BG? I think you’d be surprised at the conversion rate of the top free kick takers in the world. I remember Beckhams conversion rate was really poor as is Ronaldos.

I’m sure they all practice and GC is the guy who gets it right more often and that’s why he takes them.

Apr 15, 2004
East Devon
Balham_Green":1jsg7wrv said:
Daz":1jsg7wrv said:
BadBoy":1jsg7wrv said:

Agreed -- he's a delight to have in a green shirt but we should mix up the free kicks. FWIW I remember hearing the stat last year that Ronaldo had taken 96 free kicks before finally scoring one......... Just saying.

Feb 28, 2016
Carey maybe an outstanding player, however if at nothing else even Young and Harvey were better at direct free kicks as was Paul Wotton, if one of those was standing over a free kick I was always hopeful of a goal. With Carey I’m resigned to a goal not happening.

I agre we are now at a point where it is worth trying anyone else on them, there may not be anyone currently better but I don’t see what we have got to lose by letting someone else have a crack.

Sep 6, 2006
Daz":2ulnybhz said:
Balham_Green":2ulnybhz said:
Daz":2ulnybhz said:
BadBoy":2ulnybhz said:

No, I agree with his first sentence.

How many free kicks has he taken BG? I think you’d be surprised at the conversion rate of the top free kick takers in the world. I remember Beckhams conversion rate was really poor as is Ronaldos.

I’m sure they all practice and GC is the guy who gets it right more often and that’s why he takes them.

Getc it right more often? So I ask again. When did the last one go in? Don't necessarily need to change kicker but how about doing something more original than yet another shot over the bar.

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
Short memories? Not a direct free kick but a very innovative one for our goal against Rochdale.

Carey to Lameiras to Grant!!

In the statistical bible 'Soccernomics' there is a very detailed analysis of corners particularly, and free kicks generally, with the conclusion that more goals would be scored if the ball was simply passed into open play. I remember Jose Mourinho saying when he first started managing in this country that he couldn't understand the British excitement over corners when so little usually results. The book makes the point that because goals scored from set pieces are both rare and spectacular,they stay longer in the memory and therefore seem more important. Hence I suppose the groans from most fans when a corner is taken as a short pass to a waiting player.

Personally I miss the excitement of Wootsie's long range kicks. Would it be too daft to have him listed as a sub to come on during the last five minutes if we get a free kick and the need is desperate? A sort of one man special teams.

Nov 30, 2010
Plympton
We certainly could do with Wotsie on penalties ! A goal was never in doubt when he took them but nowadays I'm a nervous wreck and have little confidence in the players inc Carey. My choice would of been Jervis and I don't understand why Taylor isn't up for it as a striker

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
David Fox’s free kick in stoppage time tonight shows that there is an alternative to Graham Carey. A very good effort!!!

I’m not suggesting Carey should not take free kicks, simply that Foxy provides a good option.